WildSurvive Forum
Bushman5

Survival is not a pissing contest

~ This should be a Farmageddon challenge.  I think OFG will be in charge of this field day activity. :whistle:

~ After careful consideration, I think the winners of this challenge should head up the Farmageddon volunteer fire department.  :grin:

~ After careful consideration, I think the winners of this challenge should head up the Farmageddon volunteer fire department.  :grin:

We could have a ceremonial dousing of the campfire at the end of the weekend.

A bit late in posting, the will to survive is one thing but it's not that people survive with nothing or minimal talent/equipment, that we should set as positive examples, there are exceptions to the rules no matter what. They make the headlines. How many people are lost/turned around but with PRIOR training and a modicum of equipment make it through their ordeal with no publicity.

Personally I like the motto " the more I know, the more I can do with what I have"

We don't give enough "atta boys" to the ones who prepare and trudge on and to much attention to who are eventually rescued but make the evening news.

Maybe old fashioned but still believe in  the Boy Scout motto

Just a well deserved ATTA BOY to all of those who have taken the time and effort to learn skills, apply them in the field, acquire some kit and experiment with it, who are not lost or if they have been were able to extract themselves with no fuss no muss.

A big part of survival is to educate your self to be able to avoid a survival situation in the first place. I would like to think our web site could have saved a life or two along the way or at the very lest helped some one to avoid a survival situation. If you find your self thrown into a situation then is when your preparedness begins.

Actually you'll never really know, people seldom acknowledege those whom they should but I would like to think that you have made a difference though. Take consolation in that thought, good deeds seldom are noticed.

A big part of survival is to educate your self to be able to avoid a survival situation in the first place. I would like to think our web site could have saved a life or two along the way or at the very lest helped some one to avoid a survival situation. If you find your self thrown into a situation then is when your preparedness begins.

I learn something new everyday on this forum.

A bit late in posting, the will to survive is one thing but it's not that people survive with nothing or minimal talent/equipment, that we should set as positive examples, there are exceptions to the rules no matter what. They make the headlines. How many people are lost/turned around but with PRIOR training and a modicum of equipment make it through their ordeal with no publicity.

Personally I like the motto " the more I know, the more I can do with what I have"

We don't give enough "atta boys" to the ones who prepare and trudge on and to much attention to who are eventually rescued but make the evening news.

Maybe old fashioned but still believe in  the Boy Scout motto

good post. i have always been a ferm believer in the more you know the less you need. but i also like the idea of carrying what you may need so you have it when you need it. but does that mean you should carry a 5500 ci backpack to the grocery store to get a gallon of milk.  (not unless your docwatmo  :P  I'm sure the ones that make the headlines are sensationalized for exactly that, headlines.  while the true survivors, the ones who have gone out of there way to learn, to acquire knowledge, practice the skills and prepare for it probably don't require rescuing and therefore don't make the headlines.  welcome aboard the forum tsitenha. good to have you.

My edc fits in my pockets,  I have a small pack at work as a get home bag. And i have a 10 inch tablet i carry to and from work that has. Few extras in it.  None of which is necasary, just handy.  thats the beuty of knowledge.  It turns stuff into useful stuff.  :arigato:

I always carry a small pouch on a lanyard, shelter, warmth, fire, orientation, SS cup, knife and sharpener, FAK etc...

About the size of mini binocular pouch, when I set out for a walk.

If a longer trail, a small pack with rations and water is used

I can relate, tsitenha.  I do the same thing.  For me, a walk is much more enjoyable if you know you have things with you that you might need.