WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Adi

Leinad DD Double Barrel Derringer 45/410

Anyone got one? Can anyone tell me if this would have enough power to stop a gator at close range. Is it ideal for working around water?

An American friend who is well into his Yak fishing has just asked me my thoughts as he does a lot of fishing in the swamps where gators are paying him some attention.

He needs a suitable, water safe gator protector for less than $200 any suggestions guys?

Ok this was his question to me in full... not sure he is safe with a gun, asking questions like this lol

How's the lungs? I don't think you ever let me know the biopsy results. and the second... I'm fish and yak in some pretty swampy areas, oftentimes running into gators. Most of the time a good slap of the paddle in the water will chase them off, but I'm still waiting for that one that is a tad hungry or a little to curious. I'm looking for a small handgun to carry in the yak with me. My limiting factor is price, Wife doesn't want me to spend more than USD200$ otherwise I'd think a glock19. I've been poking around and can probably find a used 9mm for under that, but what about this little beast: Leinad DD Double Barrel Derringer 45/410. cheap little 2 barrel POS. Small, easy to store, chambers 45 long colt... Think it could stop a gator?

.45 Long Colt or .410 either one will easily stop a gator if the shot is placed right...stopping power of this fire arm isn't the question at hand for me. I question the accuracy of any derringer because usually the barrel is only a hair longer than the shell. If he has the nerve and the patience to wait till the gator is too close to miss he'll be fine. A friend of mine has a four-shot revolver in .45/0410 and it packs a punch but it also has 2 inches of barrel in front of the cylinder and still isn't the most accurate fire arm I've ever shot. I don't think it has any rifling because of the .410 capability but I could be wrong, I'll ask Bill to see.

If my life depended on it I wonder why you would be looking for a "small" gun? The Marlin Model 70PSS survival rifle sells for a little more than $200 but packs a lot of 22. caliber rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger. It comes in a small float able storage bag.Its stainless and polycarbonate stock so rust is not a problem and a 10 shot clip is available. It comes with a 7.

http://www.survival-gear-guide.com/Marlin-Model-70PSS.html

Some possibles for your friend. 

.410 "snakecharmer" shotgun, 18 1/4 inch barrel, drawback - single shot.

Double barrel .410 or 20 gauge with a short, but legal (over 18 inches) barrel.  I would put a slug in one side and shot in the other.

If he has access to a dive shop get a 'bang stick'.  These come in in every caliber from .38 to 12 gauge, drawbacks - he has to remember to pull the safety pin and has to make contact with target.

He needs to check to see what is legal to carry in a boat in his state.  Also check if any of the places he goes is restricted and he probably will need a hunting and fishing license.

Thanks guys, The reason he wants a pistol over a long rifle is space. He fishes using a sit on top fishing Yak. Something like these http://www.sit-on-tops.co.uk/fishing-kayaks.htm

I don't think he has much of a problem with Gators and I have seen photos of gators within inches of his yak but he has had a couple of cases were they have tried to climb up on the yak after his catch which is not a great position for him to be in. I think he is not the sort to start shooting at the first sight of a gator but to only use force with a persistent gator that is so determined to ignore repeated hits from a paddle. In this case a pistol is ideal as he is most likely going to make a muzzle burning shot straight to the head.

Keep the opinions coming guys. 

Guest smallgamehunter

bang sticks are a option but here in the states they havew to be registered with the coast guard.

At the range he would be shooting a 12ga bang stick would be more accurate

Hmmm bang sticks do sound interesting but from limited knowledge of them they are about 10 foot long arnt they? Way to long for in a Yak.

Anyone go a good link to take a look at them?

Hmmm bang sticks do sound interesting but from limited knowledge of them they are about 10 foot long arnt they? Way to long for in a Yak.

Anyone go a good link to take a look at them?

The ones we had on the boat when my father owned a salvage company were only about a meter long.

Guest smallgamehunter

1 meter is the length of the ones i have seen.

Most scuba diving suppliers have them

still too long. A pistol will fit in a dry box between his legs where there is no chance of losing it

I did a search on bangsticks and the shortest legal length is 26 inches.  I checked out a couple of sites and the one I liked best was www.budsbangsticks.com .  I though about a cattle prod, then I imagened being in a kayak next to a jolted gater......not a pretty picture.

Thanks Freebirde, That is still to long in my opinion.

Misty suggests both rounds will stop a gator so i thing the  Leinad DD Double Barrel Derringer 45/410 will be ideal as no one has suggested a more suitable pistol in that price range.

I kayak also, mostly slow, hot water summertime so snakes are at times an issue, especially when going ashore for a hike in a remote area.  Gators are non-existent but several species of poisonous reptiles in this AO so I used to carry a .38 snub loaded with snake shot in a couple of cylinders.  However, and you will have to check with your local DGIF folks (game wardens) and balance legality, carrying a pistol on a watercraft here in VA is allowed only if it is cased and unloaded.  Not very handy for the application you mention, so I would look into something along the lines of a snake charmer, it really is small (even smaller than a bang-stick) and would probably be legal at least during hunting season.  My concealed handgun permit does not change the above "cased and unloaded" clause here either.  The local game warden has assured me he would confiscate the pistol and cite me if found, and he's a friend, just trying to do his job.

I wonder what a gator's reaction would be to a firecracker to the face/head - could keep one handy with a little bic lighter and deploy almost as quick as a derringer in the tacklebox; wouldn't be chancing a hole in your kayak with a miss either.  Just my .02 worth.  I probably wouldn't want to face a pissed off gator with anything less than a doublestack .45 or a 12 gauge.

--Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die. --

Got caught napping on this one!  I've never tried that particular brand of derringer, but I've used the American Derringer Company's Model 1 in .45 Colt/.410 and it was okay.  It wouldn't be my choice for gators, but it would be better than yelling for help.  I don't know what the cost would be for one nowadays, it's been at least a decade since I've looked at one in a store. 

Honestly though, if your buddy wants something that will handle the situation he's looking at he might consider looking for a used revolver.  If he could find a used Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special it could be loaded with either a good .44 Spl solid or with snake shot.  The same would go for a good .357 magnum revolver.  Even on the used market if he might still end up spending more than $200, but he'd be getting a much more versatile firearm.

Remember, when shooting shot shells through a rifled barrel, the shorter the barrel, the less twist it has and the less it scatters.

Got caught napping on this one!  I've never tried that particular brand of derringer, but I've used the American Derringer Company's Model 1 in .45 Colt/.410 and it was okay.  It wouldn't be my choice for gators, but it would be better than yelling for help.  I don't know what the cost would be for one nowadays, it's been at least a decade since I've looked at one in a store. 

Honestly though, if your buddy wants something that will handle the situation he's looking at he might consider looking for a used revolver.  If he could find a used Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special it could be loaded with either a good .44 Spl solid or with snake shot.  The same would go for a good .357 magnum revolver.  Even on the used market if he might still end up spending more than $200, but he'd be getting a much more versatile firearm.

I agree with KY Bob. I wouldn't be comfortable with two rounds of anything. Don't get me wrong, I love Derringer's. I carry a M1 as a backup - backup to a Baretta 40cal and S&W BG 380 (that is until the recalled the 380). In your case, I would defiantly go with a revolver and if possible grab a speed loader when you can. If you like the .410, Taurus makes a model called the Judge. If you look around you should be able to find one around your price range. That will give you a few more rounds. It is a 45/410 so I would mix my ammo 3 of the 410 and 2 of the 45. The also make a 7 shot 357 - model 617. Good luck!

Glad someone else posted here because I had a recent thought about this (and recently thinking is harder).  Anyway, my first comment on this forum was here, and I talked a bit about the legality of the derringer in the boat because pistols must be unloaded and cased here in VA where I live and kayak.  HOWEVER (and this is the recent brain activity) a flare gun is legal and can be kept at hand loaded in a boat.  It also of course fills it purpose as a signalling device in an emergency, but I would warrant that no gator or other water borne (or a bear at water's edge) critter would stick around very long with a 12 gauge hunk of magnesium (or whatever is used nowadays) burning a hole in their mouth, face, or any other part.

Just another, more recent spasm from my normally inert gray matter.

I talked to my younger brother, who lived in Louisiana, and he commended that unless the gator was climbing into the boat the shooter could be charged with hunting without a alligator license.