WildSurvive Forum
Dark Squirrel

Ultimate Survival Animal?

I was considering the question of the ultimate animal to help you survive, the other day.  I want to get your ideas so I made up some criteria for the animal to meet...

1.  It should of course be edible.  Tastier the better.

2.  It should be workable.  Carry packs or carry you or even pull a wagon?  Plow fields?

3.  It should be as low upkeep as possible.

4.  It should be able to operate in a broad range of weather conditions and varied terrains as possible.

I was considering the scenario of what if I had  about 100 acres of property for TEOTWAWKI.  How big a piece of property would I have to set aside for the animal?  How much care will I have to give to it to keep it relatively healthy?  Too much could take away from time I might need for other survival tasks.  Do I pick a herbivore and have to raise food for it or is it a meat eater and I can turn it loose to hunt for itself?

As far as upkeep of the animal I asked a friend of mine at work who's family raises dairy cows what the ratio is for land to animal for a standard cow.  He told me that it takes between 2-3 acres to keep 1 cow.  What is it for a horse or a goat?  Upkeep seems pretty important to me.

The worst part about hay burners is feeding them in the winter. You have to lay up hay enough to last all winter. Not to mention getting water that doesnt freeze.

If I had to make a choice I think Llama>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llama

Llama seemed like a pretty good choice to me also.  It says they are spitters.  Good thing they are edible cause if it spit on me it would be the first thing on the menu for dinner tomorrow.

Now a horse would be a good choice.  It could carry you a long ways quickly if need be.  It could definitely do work around the compound... err I mean ranch.  But they are high upkeep.  

I read where it takes about 2 acres of grasslands to keep 1 horse and 1 acre for every horse after that.  Seems better than a cow.

Llamas only require 3/4 of a acre per llama to keep.  Llamas seem more and more like a excellent choice.  They have dozens of uses.  They can even be used to guard livestock.  So Llamas are at the top of my list now.   :thumbup:

They use them for pack animals too. Dogs are a very good companion but not on my list for food but they can sure help you get food and they can feed themselves if they have to.

I think dogs would be the best too.  You can use them to pull sleds or wagons, they aren't high maintenance, they are good company, and though I can't vouch for the taste, I guess you could get used to anything in time. 

llama ......alpaca....or a camel......

goats i hear are pretty forgiving!

~ Personally, I'm fond of the F2 Hybrid Bactrian Camel     :smoke:

onice.jpg

Now The F2 Hybrid Bactrian camel ( A double humper) can walk over ICE, MUD, SNOW, and ALL slippery surfaces.  :thumbup:

A good all around camel that can handle steep rocky mountain trails.  :thumbsup:

I like the idea of being nestled between two warm hairy humps in the freezing cold... And HOW much could one of these cute little fellows eat? I'm sure it would haul anything I wanted it to....  Most of those modern Camel saddles come with a trunk or cargo area.  :yes:

I wonder if the two humpers get better mileage than the single humpers?  :unsure:

So, yeah, I choose the Hybrid Bactrian Camel as my person survival animal. Hands down over the competition.

I don't like the idea of killing an animal that helps me, so I'd buy a couple, let them breed, and then just get used to drinking Camel Milk....   it's got protein, fat and carbs in it, and it would sustain me thru the hard times. Maybe you could even make camel milk cheese, who knows?  :yes:

Eggs, Milk, and cheese have sustained many throughout the ages without taking the lives of the animals that help them.  :arigato:

I'd get me some chickens, and a couple of camels (and I'm sure the camels wouldn't mind hauling the chickens around if need be,)  :whistle:

The camel is definitely a good choice. :arigato:  Camels can go for days without food or water.  You can only ride a horse for about half a day before water becomes a concern.  Camels can carry more weight than a horse. You don't have to shoe a camel. 

I also read where training large animals can be a very daunting task.  How long does it take to train a horse to be able to ride it or to fit it to a wagon? 

I live on a farm and we have LLamas, goats, cattle and chickerns. One thing that needs to be considered is if you plan to keep livestock for a survival situation. You will need a large supply of food for the live stock. It will suprise you just what  chickens alone can put away in a day. My pick would be the llama due to the fact that it can be a pack animal, watch animal and food if need be. They are a lot like a goat in the fact that they can eat about anything which means they dont need a large amount of grain to survive. They have been using llamas for trekking in the appalachians for a while now and of course they are the pack animal of choice for expidetions going to Everest.

Every try riding one of the llamas KW?  I doubt a llama could carry a average size person very far.  But you put a cart behind it I bet they can go like heck. scared011.gif

I like the idea of being nestled between two warm hairy humps in the freezing cold...

I thought she said hunks.  :unsure:

I live on a farm and we have LLamas, goats, cattle and chickerns. One thing that needs to be considered is if you plan to keep livestock for a survival situation. You will need a large supply of food for the live stock. It will suprise you just what  chickens alone can put away in a day. My pick would be the llama due to the fact that it can be a pack animal, watch animal and food if need be. They are a lot like a goat in the fact that they can eat about anything which means they dont need a large amount of grain to survive. They have been using llamas for trekking in the appalachians for a while now and of course they are the pack animal of choice for expidetions going to Everest.

I aslo agree on the Lama.  Some farmers in my area use them to guard the sheep from predators.  They call them "Guard Lamas"