WildSurvive Forum
jeji

How do you hunt?

I'm heading out hunting with hubbie on Monday, this is only my second time hunting, and I am so excited!!!  I've got a lovely little tree stand to plop down in...just curious how many hunt from stands.  Permanant or climbers?  How high up? Do you stalk, drive or just hide in the bushes?  Or what else?  Would love to hear....

All of the above! :hugegrin:  I guess I just go with the flow and see what I have to do to, in order to get into a good shooting possition.

I've never hunted from a tree stand, but have set up in elevated possitions overlooking trails, food and water sources, or a natural funnel.  One of my favorites was a 10' tall boulder that rested next to a small meadow, with pines on three sides of the boulder.  There was a small shooting lane that allowed me to shoot through a 1' space between trees and distance was about 20 yards, because of large branches and limbs, which was the max that I'd take a shot with the longbow or recurve.  At that time anyways. 

My favorite is *still hunting*, or a mix of *spot and stalk* and *still hunting*.

Right on!  I was kinda curious...it just doesn't seem very sporting to me to climb into a stand, but in Lower Delaware there is no other way to get above them, pretty darn flat here! :grin: I guess I should be more concerned about keeping my nerves calm, if I see a deer that is! :hugegrin: The first time I went, I got to "become one" with a holly bush..ouch! Maybe I could find something less "pokey" this time of year! :hugegrin:

A hunter has to do what a hunter has to do.  Climbing into a tree just isn't a viable option for me.  These pesky blacktails don't seem to do anything the same.  Besides, I fall asleep if I set up too long in a comfortable sitting possition. :grin:

Falling asleep has been a concern of mine, too.  I do tend to get pretty comfy if I sit still too long. Its a pretty good spot, it right off a path the deer use to get out to the swamp.  The field in front of it sets back off a road we drive regularly, so we can kinda keep a good eye on it.  There have been deer out in the field twice a day for a week now, so I'm hoping.... :yes: :yes: :grin:

Guest taken by the wind...

~ I've never hunted deer in my life jeji... but I have "hunted". I figure its best to mimick nature. Does a lioness ever fall asleep when she's hunting? Does a cheetah? No... because they're hungry. I figure Hunting is the opposite of going to the grocery store... they say never go shopping when you're hungry... I figure you should never go hunting unless you are hungry! Maybe you should fast for a day ahead of time! That should keep you on task! Then think.... mmmmmmm venison.......

I have used many methods of hunting, stands, stalking, casuall stoll, river drifting, camo pit etc.. one thing I don't do is look ahead for prey, I use perifial(sp) vision to notice and what hearing I have left to locate directions, What foreward vision I use to notice what does not seem normal with the scenery, grass moving wrong way, birds either spooking or stop chattreing, etc... And the hairs on the back of my neck ;) never directly looking at my prey till I am lining up the sights.

I need to work more on that periferal vision.  One little lesson I learned yesterday, is not to wear a ballcap. Even little movements are magnified by the brim.  I need to get me a different blaze hat, without a brim! If a deer had come up beside me, it would have seen me before I ever knew it was there!

It helps to train before hand, I often sit and listen to the "noises" of the bush at different times of the day/seasons. Maybe you don't hear the deer as it comes towards you but as it blocks "bush" noise by inserting itself inbetween you and that "source" then you have an idea, with the accumilation of experience, of something moving/comming. Even a ballcap bill will not give away (consider trimming it shorter) if you make your movements blend in with the wind motion if any, try moving small movements like doing Tai Chi on valium very slow and deliberate keeping the natural rythm in mind (try a tuque). People should train themselves and their ears to listen and identify what the real source of the "noise"they are hearing at first it is hard but it will come with time. Now I know that with listening to loud music people suffer from hearing loss more so than 100 years ago but you can still do much more that you think, patience, practise and observation. Even good hunters come home with stone soup sometimes. :thumbup:   

Thank you Bobimbob, I appreciate the input.  I'm not sure what the rules and regs are elsewhere, but do you get to wear blaze camo? Delaware will not allow it for shotgun season, and darnit, if that solid color, blaze or otherwise, doesn't stick out like a sore thumb!!  It is hard to try to become one with my tree, when I feel like I have a blinking light over my head!!!!

I do need to practice the small movements, I have a problem sitting still for too long and get pretty jittery.  I'll have to try some deer stand meditation techniques!!!  I may go out on saturday AM, and I'll work on my deer-chi!! :grin:

Yes we also have to wear solid blaze orange, no such blotch of solid bright shade in nature and it does make some difference. I will usually cheat on stand by placing dry branches around to break up my outline, standing in profile, near, behind, in front a tree as the situation calls for. Even moving is guarded as in balancing weight fully on the advancing foot/leg until it can take all the weight then the shifting of the following into the new position. Try looking at a chameleon as it walks/stalks along a branch swaying as if with the breeze.

Photography is the same as hunting you dont have to be trying to kill an animal. I dont want to sound anti hunting because Ive hunted most of my life. I just want to demonstrate theres more than one way to enjoy"the hunt"

Hazey is correct in peripheral vision. Its just one more tool used by the "hunter" but its a very good tool to use in our every day lives. His contention that you must be intune with every thing in your enviornment to really enjoy the out door experiance is right on either shooting- photography or just being out there. There is so much to see and experiance that to miss it because of not useing all of your senses you will miss a lot.

Camouflage is all important. The early boy scout manuals had a very good section on this subject. There are many good books on this subject available at Amazon .com and other sources. The military also has good reference. Sporting good outlets are full of the latest gear to "hide" your self in the wilds.

Watch your wind. Most animals have VERY good sense of smell. Just look at the nose of a deer or wolf and its plain to see its very large for their size. Humans "stink" as much to a wild animal as a skunk does to us.Winds will change constantly in heavy timber so a masking of scent is advisable. There are carbon core hunting clothes available and lots of cover scents available in all sporting good stores.

Hunting stands should be placed as high as possible. Hard core hunters recommend at least twenty foot off the ground. This has led to many injuries from falling out of tree stands so caution is all important being that high off the ground. I used a soft maple tree that had four trunks riseing out of one tree and the deer couldnt pick my outline out of all the different trunks so I was successful in bagging a deer and I was only ten foot off the ground. The school of thought is if your high up your out of the field of vision of the deer or other game.

I picked up my first ground blind this year. I didn't think I'd like it until we took our girls on the youth hunt and we all sat in it fairly comfortably. I like to move around some when I deer hunt but I also like to have a good "meat spot" to sit in when its slow. I'm not a fan of the big A box stand on the baited plot though.

I really enjoy... practice hunting. I absolutely love tracking, stalking, archery, being a ghost through the environment. I do everything except take the shot. Usually I go out with my bow and pick up some deer tracks, follow them until I get up close, line up a clear shot, draw back my sting (arrow isn't nocked), and then move, line up another shot, and continue until the deer wanders off or gets spooked. Not really sure what style of hunting this is, because I don't hunt... but I think it's important to practice at least once a week (in case I ever needed to). Also, it's a lot of fun. Love sneaking up on people and game. (:

no one hunts from stands where I am from, we stalk in on animals tracking their prints and sign through the bush, always hunting with the wind blowing into my face is self explanatory. no offence to anyone but I dont consider sitting in a hide or a stand hunting, I would call that waiting.

no one hunts from stands where I am from, we stalk in on animals tracking their prints and sign through the bush, always hunting with the wind blowing into my face is self explanatory. no offence to anyone but I dont consider sitting in a hide or a stand hunting, I would call that waiting.

ive always called it ambushing, i would do it in a survival situation if i needed to feed my family burt when i hun, its on the ground closing with the game, to me thats the  "hunt" not taking the shot.