WildSurvive Forum
Jemarque1

Name the survival tip you heard one to many times

What wilderness survival tip have you heard so many times that you are sick of hearing it. For me its Birch bark.

The Birch bark burns! The Birch bark burns! THE GD BIRCH BARK BURNS!!!

Cool topic JEM.

For me it would have to be to "Check your shoes for creepy crawlies".

I guess city folk don't have to worry about all kinds of nasty pinching, biting, and acid spewing things making a home in their shoes but out here, you check your shoes each and every time - no matter that you're doing.

~ You sweat... you die.  (Les Stroud)

Lol - I was going to say that one but I think someone has that as their tagline on the forum    :o

"You'll put your eye out!"  :nop:

Oh...wait...that was from "The Christmas Story".  :P

"You'll put your eye out!"  :nop:

Lol - that's the one you're tired of hearing in your head when playing with knives and the like.

NOBODY EVER knows what that means!  wacky115.gif

My neighbor was bit by a coral snake when I was a kid - I'll never forget it.

~ I just taught my kids that when the red bands are  "touching" the yellow bands on a snake, stay away. THEN, I showed them pictures of king snakes and coral snakes. All my kids can tell you which is which...  and they never learned that stupid rhyme. LOL

The Red on yellow makes people think a dangerous snake is yellow with red stripes. The "saying" is just too confusing.

~ Red on yellow kill a fellow, Red on black, friend of jack.  :thumbdown:

NOBODY EVER knows what that means!  wacky115.gif

It's red on yellow kills a fellow, red on black venom lack.

It's red on yellow kills a fellow, red on black venom lack.

~ nah...  I've never heard that one. LOL! You must be from a more educated part of the country. As if one of these bozo's is gonna know what "venom lack" means.  happy097.gif

Now, they might have heard it that way a hundred years ago, but by the time they got home they forgot it, and turned it into Friend of Jack. (The dudes' NAME was probably Jack.)

Either way, the "Poem" eludes to only a two colored snake. Either Red and yellow, or red and black. Then, when they see the snake they cannot remember the rhyme which obviously has a LOT of different versions. I think it's a horrible thing to teach.  :nop:

You can drink your own urin...

I've heard both sides of drinking urin. They say it can help you live longer without water and that it can increase dehydration and die faster. I'll go with the explaination that gives me an excuse to not drink urin till proven otherwise.

~ Feed a cold, starve a fever.   :blink:

That's another one NOBODY can ever remember right.  :nono:  It's worthless teaching it, and it can actually do harm.

Eat when you feel like eating, even when you're sick!  If you have a fever, try to drink something cold. It helps you feel better. Most people with fever, don't feel like eating anyway.

Im afraid your missing a key component ~Taken. When the yellow stripe is next to a red stripe and the snake bites you it makes a huge difference on how quickly you get to the hospital and when you get there their going to ask you if it was a coral snake.

If the color bands are red and black that touch each other its a milk snake and it aint going to kill ya. So when red meets black it makes it hard to make up a rhyme people can remember.

Considering Georgia is full of coral snakes maybe this one will work better for you>  "Red on yellow, dangerous fellow"

~ Feed a cold, starve a fever.  :blink:

That's another one NOBODY can ever remember right.  :nono:  It's worthless teaching it, and it can actually do harm.

Eat when you feel like eating, even when you're sick!  If you have a fever, try to drink something cold. It helps you feel better. Most people with fever, don't feel like eating anyway.

Again i believe thats another quote you have wrong.  "Its feed a cold, starve cancer."

Guest smallgamehunter

red headed older woman i never met toting a machete  sounds like the making of a good horror movie or a xxx movie dependin on how u look at it.

Taken i will give u credit i could never work as a nurse. Nurses are a very under appreciated profession

red headed older woman i never met toting a machete  sounds like the making of a good horror movie or a xxx movie dependin on how u look at it.

Taken i will give u credit i could never work as a nurse. Nurses are a very under appreciated profession

~ HEY!  I never said "Older woman".  :glare:  don't put words in my mouth.