WildSurvive Forum
Swede

Is It Time To Consider A carry Gun?

You guys should also read Evan Marshall and Ed Sanow's book: "Stopping Power: A Practical Analysis of the Latest Handgun Ammunition"

Federal 45 ACP 230 gr Hydra Shock:  173 Shootings,  166 One-shot stops: 96%, Recovered Diameter: 0.76", Penetration: 13.9"

Winchester 44 Magnum  210 gr JHP:    71  Shootings,  65 One-shot stops: 92%, Recovered Diameter:  0.81", Penetration:  16.3"

Federal 357 Magnum, 125 gr JHP:  641 Shootings, 615 one-stop shots, 96%   Recovered diameter:  0.74", Penetration:  11.1"

Remington 45 ACP +P 185 gr JHP:  77 Shootings,   71 one-shot stops:  92%  Recovered diameter:  0.74", Penetration:  12.9"

Winchester 9 mm, 115 gr Silvertip:  421 Shootings, 349 one-shot stops, 83%, Recovered diameter:  0.64",  Penetration:  13.7"

Looking at these figures you could almost come to the conclusion that the .45 ACP is superior to a .44 Mag in most respects except penetration.  The only math is statistical, not a formula.  But numbers don't mean a lot here.  These are taken from real street shootings, real data.  Would a .44 Mag be more effective than a .45 ACP in a center of mass shot?  Probably so, given the exact same shot placement.  However, most of the energy for either of these loads may not actually be expended on a human target.  How much time would it take for the bullet to mushroom fully or to cavitate in a human torso?  You will very likely see a bullet exit, in which case the full energy of that round was NOT expended upon the target.  And everyone remember in "Magnum Force", Dirty Harry admitted that he loaded the big S&W with....44 Special loads.

For carrying around more populated areas I stick to a .38 snubbie or a compact .45 with good hollowpoints to prevent excessive over-penetration.  Besides, the only .44 mag I own is a Colt Anaconda with 8" barrel...it pretty much requires a bandolier to carry it!   ;)  Unlike Swede, however, I do carry concealed.  If I didn't have to, I might well choose a big Smith & Wesson N-Frame revolver, but mostly in the boonies.  Hmm...I could use a new Ruger Redhawk for that matter....

Again, everyone will have a personal favorite and each will have his or her reasons for the choice they've made.  We can disagree on what we each believe is best, and I'm glad everyone is able to keep it civil around here.  On a lot of other forums the expletives would already be flying!

I am no expert on the subject but i have read alot of stuff written by "experts" don't make it right, don't make it wrong. I'm always glad to have others opinions and experience to help educate me.  all that matters the most is hitting the target, a hit with a 22 would be more effective than a ne'er miss with a s@w .500 (now that's a cartridge!) the biggest most powerfull gun wont do a novice anygood if they are scared of the recoil, don't practice(because it hurts there wrist) and flinch everytime they pull the trigger. someone like unca Walt can probably shoot the eyes out of a bear at 35 yards or shoot 100 round box off 44 without any problem. but most novice shooters would take a lot of practice to manage the recoil and get used to the muzzleblast.  i will say that if i had to carry 1 gun in bear country and couldn't always keep it cleaned i would absolutely carry a wheelgun in at least 44 mag. I respect your opinions on the subject Walt, I will not argue with lee emry(he is awesome) but when it comes to putting two center mass as fast as possable to protect myself ill always take a 1911 .45 with Remington golden sabers or federal hydroshocks.  i shall leave this subject alone now, i do want to say thank you for your input Walt, it does get a guy thinking about a new toy to buy........(just don't tell my wife)

I had an old hermit point a shotgun at my chest one dark night and he had an old kerosene lamp in the other hand. You know I had no idea any one lived in that old house and you know what? I didnt think to ask him if it was a .12 gauge or a .20 gauge; it looked like a cannon to me.  :scared:

=)  well I personaly think anything pointed at my person would seem like a cannon!  I am going to put in my young and reckless two cents,  hehe  I think it would be a good idea to carry a small firearm these days. I have worn a handgun on multiple occasions in town (I live kinda outta town ya might say) and only got a strange look once, and that was from an outsider, some tourist city slicker.  here in Alaska a person can get away with a lot more than most places in the lower 48, in fact there is no such thing as a concealed weapons permit in Alaska. the only places a person is not aloud to carry here is in school, bank, or a city hall.  but yes I say check with the authoritys and find out what is legal.

I feel you.  I have had my CCW for several years now and I usually wear cargos or jeans that offer a little room so I have no problem carrying my S&W J frame in my front pocket.  I have other guns I can carry but prefer my snubbie. it is simple, reliable, and can take the beating of evryday carry.  It is a personal choice and works for me.