WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
survivorgirl

Psychology of Survival

I've heard and know that a positive mindset is a must when surviving but what if you don't have it like your to scared of trying anything because you might fail so you don't do it at all that is my problem right now  fear of failure and that is bad to have in a survival situation any thoughts like how to overcome that fear :scared:

Analyze the fear. Can it harm you at any way? If it can't, then there is nothing to be afraid of.  For example, a garter snake cannot harm you, it just eats spiders and bugs. If you touch it, you will not die/get severely hurt (even if it bites you, which is not likely). But, rattle snakes, on the other hand, are dangerous and if you touch it, you might get bitten.

Confront whatever it is you're afraid of directly. If you are afraid of harmless spiders in your basement, catch one and hold it in your hand. This can be tough if you are arachnophobic,(fear of spiders) but try to hold it for a long time until the gross-out feeling is gone. Do that a couple times.

If your fear is truly dangerous, find a way to destroy it. I wouldn't recommend doing previous step in this situation. Although, you can find some safety rules and put yourself in a condition where you can be safe even if the fear is in front of you. Other most important rule here is not to panic. Just act cool and assure yourself that as long as you follow the safety guidelines, your fear is harmless and nothing to be afraid of.

Change the way you think and you change the way you act. You can control your thoughts. Since you're only able to consciously think about one thing at a time, only allow positive thoughts to go through your mind. Whenever a negative thought or fear enters, simply choose to stop it right in its tracks and immediately change that thought to something positive.

Deliberately try to program right thoughts into your head every single day. This is the best way to change the picture of fear into one of victory.

Realize the best defense from fear is a good offense. What you imagine is almost always worse than the truth. So many times the "truth" you see in your mind is only the truth as you believe it to be. So sometimes the best thing is the very thing you fear, even if you have to do it afraid.

If you have some kind of phobia, like phobia of being in a crowded area, being alone, going to a place that you hate, a certain color, or anything that you know is harmless, just go to that place with a friend or go alone keeping in mind that nothing will happen(you know it). If it's some color or thing just touch it 'till you realize that nothing will happen. If it's a spider, go stand near it. You know that nothing will happen to you and its just the look that scares you.

Swede, sometimes you surprise me.  :hug:

Kim, Swede is 100% correct.  He is describing "Cognitive Behavior Therapy" which basically is just changing your way of thinking about things.  It just takes practice and you CAN overcome your fears.  I'm working on my own fears and I've come a long way in just a year.  :yes:  You can do it too! :thumbsup:

Fear is a natural emotion. You're out in the middle of nowhere, on your own wiith limited resources. Well, who in their right mind would'nt be scared? It's what you do with that fear that makes the difference. So you counter fear by practicing skills, Not only to find out what you can do, but what you can't. Practice.

If you practice a skill (firebow) in a safe environment like the backyard and are unsuccessful, that's part of learning. You have the option of going inside and coming back to it later on. BUT you know not to depend on it out in the wilderness. 

I've heard and know that a positive mindset is a must when surviving but what if you don't have it like your to scared of trying anything because you might fail so you don't do it at all that is my problem right now  fear of failure and that is bad to have in a survival situation any thoughts like how to overcome that fear :scared:

~ The fear of "failure" CAN be paralyzing, Kim. It can make you become an observer in life, rather than a player. A lot of people who fear failure grew up with a parent who was or pretended to be a perfectionist. I have friends who would get in trouble if they didn't make straight A's...  I know people who no matter what they accomplished, it was never good enough to one or both parents. They feel like their parents for some reason are not proud of them...  

There is no easy solution, except to let yourself off the hook.

Ask yourself (the next time you find yourself not wanting to try to do something) "What's the worst thing that could happen if I fail to do this perfectly?"  Then prepare for that...  and realize that NOBODY knows how to do something perfectly the first time they try it. That's why you just do it... then you learn how to do it better the next time, and you'll learn even more the NEXT time. Ask yourself, "What's the most valuable thing I might learn, if I fail at this task?"  Eventually, you'll realize that everytime you do something wrong, you learn how to do it better the next time.

Let yourself off the hook, Kim.  If you have overwhelming personalities around you, who make you feel like you can't DO anything right....  then you're going to have to deal with them.  

You aren't Perfect. NOBODY is. Everybody screws up, everybody fails. That's how we learn.  :thumbup:  How many times did you fall on your butt when you were learning how to walk? Babies don't give up. Only Parents can make a kid start doubting herself...  You gotta become a baby again.   cool14.gif   Listen to your OWN voice... and kick the voice of doubt out of your mind, because believe me, it's NOT your own, it's an echo of somebody in your past... or somebody in your present. Recognize that alien voice in your head, and kick it out. And go out there realizing that...

Winners Fail, ALL the time, the only difference is they NEVER give up, and you're a winner.  :no1: :cheers: :clap:

“I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."  

Michael Jordan (American NBA Basketball Player, widely considered to be the greatest player in the history of the game, b.1963)

No much more I could add...but I just read this quote and thought it was good here:

Failure becomes success when you learn from it. 

EVERYONE fails.  Just look at what you did wrong or what you can improve on and go from there.  Never be afraid to fail.  We all have to push ourselves to learn or to get better at something. EVERYONE!  Even the "experts".  Honestly, I have learned more sometimes from my failures than my successes.  Failure makes you learn the why's behind how something works.....not just how something works.  Don't be afraid to try and fail.  Be excited to learn! 

thanks you all I will definely keep your kind words in mind and do my Survival practices and swede yes I hate spiders but I will try to get closer to one little by little by little. taken I think I was my family all overachevers but me failed all the time in school strait d's and f's so just knock my mom and sister out of my head and do it

thanks all

thanks you all I will definely keep your kind words in mind and do my Survival practices and swede yes I hate spiders but I will try to get closer to one little by little by little. taken I think I was my family all overachevers but me failed all the time in school strait d's and f's so just knock my mom and sister out of my head and do it

thanks all

~ don't you worry about it Kim  :hug:  YOUR talents will emerge in time...  I'm certain of it now. You've been a survivor all your life. Your family will all look to you one day, and they'll be asking you what to do.  :arigato: