WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  

I'd thought I would post this film for anyone who has not seen it yet. Despite what you might think of him, he was a master of his craft. You do not make it 12 years living in grizzly bears faces without being a master of grizzly bear psychology. Before grizzly bears he was an alcoholic that was going no where. I believe that without the grizzly bears he would have never known happiness. I do think something as simple as pepper spray would have saved him, but he did make his choice and he paid the consequences for his actions.  :(

http://stagevu.com/video/wtshkuzzsfrn

~ Well acquainted with him Jemarque1. I agree. He WAS devoted, and he obviously lived, and behaved in a way that led several bears to just ignore him, and accept him as an annoying aspect of their environment. But in retrospect... (In the wild)....  a weak Male Grizzly probably wouldn't have survived as long as Timothy did.

I can't help but think though, that he sort of "humanized" the bears.

Bears fight among themselves ALL the time.

Tim HAD to know that he was living on borrowed time. He didn't appear to be stupid...  just a bit Naive. Ok.....  really phenomenally Naive. I believe he thought he could enter the Sacred world of Nature as a Self-appointed Saviour, and that "she" would tell her Beasts to back off. He was an honest, loving man, on a spiritual mission to save the Bears....... 

but the Bears showed him, that he cannot save, what he doesn't really Respect. With all my heart, I believe Timothy Treadwell was killed because he was arrogant, and he did not really understand Nature, or respect Bears for what they ARE.  He wanted bears to be his Brothers, but he foolishly personified them as beings who would love him for his work.

Steve Irwin never tried to make a pet out of a croc. even though he loved them ... (And conveyed that love on an international level) But above all, he RESPECTED them. He never expected (the crocs) to NOT see him as a meal.

In Nature........  Respect, Awe, and a healthy fear of an Apex predator, will get you way  further than warm, fuzzy, feelings for something.

There's a little quote I live by that goes; "great people, who do great things, often make great sacrifices". Few things we do, that are worth anything, are 'safe'. Take for instance the young girl that sailed the globe and almost died. When she was rescued, people raged over the fact she was allowed to do it, but then, if she hadn't had the freak wave hit her, and she HAD made it, those same people would be at the dock applauding her.

I don't think he was stupid at all. In fact, he made the biggest sacrifice for what he believed in.

~ I don't think he really believed he'd be stalked, and killed, and eaten by a bear, and if he DID know all of that and made that sacrifice knowingly, then he should have been Man enough to NOT bring an innocent woman along on his MISSION trip without warning her that she too could easily end up a Bear Meal... that they were only there living on borrowed luck.

If Timothy had been upfront and honest with himself, and upfront and honest with his Lady friend... she might have declined the offer.

Did the young girl who sailed around the globe bring an innocent bystander along with her (who didn't know much about the sea?) 

If Timothy knew the ever present danger, he should've left his girlfriend at home. He should've forbidden her to come for a visit.

If he had done that, I might respect him.

As it is, I just see Timothy as a shining example of what can happen when a self-absorbed new-age animal lover meets the reality of Wilderness, and the ferocity of the Goddess herself.

:arigato:

As it is, I just see Timothy as a shining example of what can happen when a self-absorbed new-age animal lover meets the reality of Wilderness, and the ferocity of the Goddess herself.

DITTO

I don't know Taken, we often see women playing the innocent role when things go wrong, but I think we take their resolve for granted.  She knew what she was getting into, and it was all for her man.

Have you never done anything foolish for a potential mate?

I think what Timothy did was definitely impressive.  12 years is a long time.  And he did what he loved.  I think his one mistake was bringing the girlfriend out there.  I think she was too much of a X factor for the bears to handle and they reacted to something strange and unknown.  I think he became to at ease around the bears and thought he could control whatever could happen.  Sadly that wasn't the case.  I also think she knew what the dangers were but not fully but that doesn't mean she isn't responsible for her own actions.  Just my opinion.

Ive trekked the northern wildnerness of Saskatchewan and came face to face with black bears. Heres the thing with mans invasion into bear territory. Im only familiar with black bears and I have no personal knowledge with grizzlies but there are bears that wander into contact with humans that have never seen one before and therefor they have no fear of an animal that at best is their own size. Curiosity becomes a factor as well as a possible food source.Bears that have been shot at or dusted with shot gun pellets will run from man when they come into contact.

Its possible that the bear that killed them was a stranger or just was hungry enough to see them as a food source and there was no threat to the bear that killed them.

I wonder if the autopsy results ever considered if his girl friend was menstrating. That's like chumming the water in bear country. May seem like a crude input but its definitely one to consider.

I've run into grizzly's about half a dozen times, polar bears, twice, and black bears...well I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many encounters I've had with them. They're the sole reason I carry a whistle and a bell on my backpack.  The one thing I've noticed with all of these species is that they despise noise. I mean they'll even forget about a potential meal (trying to steal my fish once and my cooler another time) to avoid someone screaming at the top of their lungs, banging pots and blowing whistles.  In fact, the bell is to preemptively warn them that I'm coming since they'd rather avoid us as much as we'd like to avoid them.

The only time I've had a bear stand it's ground is when there are cubs present. I was never charged, but she got her dander up and stared me down until I got out of viewing range.  My guess is that this was the case for them and, as the old saying goes, "I don't have to run fast, I just need to run faster than you."  Problem was that he didn't.

What happened in the last season when he was there was that he stayed past his usual season. The seasonal bears he knew went into early hibernation and other stranger bears came in. The seasonal bears had set eatting patterns, sedge grass, clams, and salmon. Other foods were not on their agenda. The stranger bears did not have this same seasonal agenda and Tim was on the menu. In the bear attack Tim was the first one attacked and told his girl friend to run away repeatedly. And from the girls diaries, it appears that she knew the risks. Everyone wants women in the military till they get captured tortured and raped, and the public gets outraged. Then the military is the bad guy for letting it happen, even though they didn't want to put women in that position. If you want gender equality you have to accept the consequences and benefits of equality, and not just the benefits. I do not baby people on the choices they make,Tim paid the price for his choices and so did his girlfriend. At the same time i recognize the skill Tim had with bears.  You really have to think about it. 12 years in bear country where most people wouldn't last a day doing what he did. That by itself is impressive by any standard because he has created that standard. No one else has come even close to what he accomplished. Anyone studying grizzly psychology will study Timothy Treadwell.

His mistake was arrogance. In this video (Shot a few days before he fell victim to predation) he doesn't seem like a guy who is humble, and aware of his own vulnerability. He strikes me as a self-absorbed smart-ass who thinks he's special... and/or set apart (either that or he's a dude who has a death wish). He's bragging about how he can live in an environment that  regular people woud die in. Go ahead and admire him. I never will.  :glare:  The ONLY reason I'm stressing my point on this, is because THIS is a survival website, and I don't want anybody to think that Timothy is a shining example of how to interact with nature. Not if you want to survive anyway...

Oh... and to answer your question, Ant, I may have done some "foolish" things for a potential mate (and who hasn't) but I would never be stupid enough to camp out with some man/child who thinks that Bears sense, and understand his love for them.  :thumbdown:  I wouldn't go into Grizzly country and camp in the "grizzly maze" PERIOD... (Unless money was at stake) and THEN I wouldn't do it without a REALLY SKILLED HUNTER at my side every second, and several REAL Weapons.

There are a LOT of men who go into Grizzly country (who LIVE in Grizzly country) and who don't have to use weapons on them...  (but they have them just in case). I bet if Timothy had had a gun on him the night he got attacked and eaten alive, he would've shot his "brother" bear in a heartbeat.  :smoke

Timothy Treadwell seems AWFUL confident about the statistics about folks living in bear country... WHERE  does he get his info. from?  WHO in god's name keeps statistics on how long primitive folks survive in Bear country without "weapons" ?  Timothy is spouting off from his big mouth... and you men are listening because he's LOUD...    not smart, but LOUD. Louder than your reason.

Timothy Treadwell - Grizzly Man Pt 16

He was a PITA up here in Alaska for not only the bears but the people also. And had he not so angry at the woman at the ticket counter when he was returning to go back to California he wouldn't have gotten killed much less cost 2 bears their lives for his actions.

~ Dang....  I can be a cruel woman at times.    :blush:  (I saw somebody "Printing" the Grizzly Man thread... and I always get intrigued by what people Print from this website  :rofl:) and WHY? 

Is some kid gonna turn in our comments (as fact?)  in a Biology class or what?  :woot:

I love watching what people look at on this site.... LOL!  Sometimes I read what I write and I'm like.... DAY-UM.... I still agree with you WOman.....  :smoke: