This is a email i got from a Friend , pretty scary

Subject: A LITTLE GUN HISTORY

After reading the

> following historical facts, read the part

> about

> Switzerland

> twice

> A LITTLE GUN HISTORY

> In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control..

> From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable

> to defend themselves, were rounded up and

> exterminated.

> ------------------------------

> In 1911, Turkey established gun control.

> From 1915 to 1917, 1..5 million Armenians, unable to

> defend themselves, were rounded up and

> exterminated.

> Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to

> 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable

> to defend themselves were rounded up and

> exterminated.

> China established gun control in 1935. From

> 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to

> defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated

> Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From

> 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend

> themselves, were rounded up and exterminated..

> Uganda established gun control in 1970. From

> 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend

> themselves, were rounded up and exterminated

> Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975

> to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend

> themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

> -----------------------------

> Defenseless people

> rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of

> gun control: 56 million.

> You won't see this data on the US evening

> news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.

> Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and

> property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only

> the law-abiding citizens

> Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!

> The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please

> remind them of this history lesson.

> With guns, we are 'citizens'

> Without them, we are 'subjects'.

> During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade

> America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!

> If you value your freedom, please spread this anti-gun

> control message to all of your friends.

> The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no

> possible victory in defense. The sword is more

> important than the shield and skill is more important than

> either. The final weapon is the brain All else is supplemental.

> SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY MALE OVER 18 A GUN!

> SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE TO AS A

> MEMBER OF THE MILITIA. HITLER DIDN'T INVADE

> SWITZERLAND BECAUSE OF THIS. HE IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE

> SAID, " SWITZERLAND DOESN'T HAVE AN ARMY --

>  SWITZERLAND IS AN ARMY."

> SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED

> COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!

> IT'S A NO BRAINER!

> I'm a firm believer of the 2nd Amendment!

> If you are too, please forward.

SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED

Another fact that has been neglected to be mentioned - Switzerland has the highest suicide rate on the planet thanks to the access to government issued assault rifles!  

Actually my statement above is wrong.

Switzerland has the second highest gun related suicide rate with 28% of suicides carried out by fire arms. Only the USA has a higher percentage with 57% of suicides carried out with a fire arm. Compare this to the 3rd highest, Canada at 19%.

In Switzerland 40% of gun related suicides are carried out with military issued weapons.

I think your Numbers are misleading. If you look at the W.H.O. overall numbers for 2006 suicides Switzerland's male suicide rate per 100,000 was 23.5 Russia's was 59.9 and the U.S. was 17.7 The way in which you carry it out doesn't matter if you are going to do it you will find a way.

Misleading, no not at all, my last post said gun related suicide.

The way in which you carry it out doesn't matter if you are going to do it you will find a way.
  :rofl: I have never heard so much rubbish. the highest percentage of suicides are an impulse action, meaning the decision is made very quickly.

The fact is it is very hard to kill oneself because the longer it takes the more likely you talk yourself out of it. Many jumpers don't jump because they get to the where they want to jump and think 'wow that's high' then they have a battle in their head trying to take that final step over the edge. In this situation most people can be talked back.

Impulse suicide requires a tool to do the job, whether that tool is a bridge, cliff, building, knife, drugs, fire arm, poison or car. Most people want to end it with the minimum of fuss and quickly. Access to the tool increases the potential to carry out the act.

Female suicide is less likely to be carried out by a fire arm because a lot less females are comfortable with with a fire arm. Females are more likely to use proscription drugs.

Knives are rarely used for suicide but are most often used to self harm which is often used by the person as a cry for help because they know that other people around them think it is an attempt at suicide.

The fact is a country with a large gun owning population will have a large fire arm related suicide rate. The US and Switzerland highlight this fact very nicely.

Adi may have a point about the availability of a firearm not helping or even making a person more likely to go through with the act, but overall suicide rates may tend to be more cultural, as well.  The WHO lists Japan's suicide rates for males with 36.5 per 100,000, more than double the US rate.  Japan isn't exactly known for lax firearms laws you know, however the culture is a lot different.  I don't know what the firearms laws are like in the Russian Federation or Lithuania, but they must be unhappy places.  Among males the suicide rates per 100,000 are 70.6 and 75.6, respectively.  In Australia, with stricter gun control laws than the US, rates for males are 21.2/100,000.  Israel, a sort of gun-rich area, has a rate of 10.5/100,000.  Again, I think culture may play into these numbers.  These figures aren't really current, they date from '99 and '00 from the WHO site.  

The rate in Japan--according to this article:  http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/global-filipino/world/07/08/10/japan-pm-targets-high-suicide-rate --seems to have dropped to 35.8/100,000 versus 10.1 in Britain.  

Will the presence of a firearm make a person more likely to commit to suicide?  I don't know, possibly so.  But I don't believe it's the most important factor.

Will the presence of a firearm make a person more likely to commit to suicide?

No the presence of a firearm will not make a person more likely to commit suicide but if some one chooses to commit suicide and they have a firearm to hand there is a much higher chance they will use it.

Last night on FB I have a friend who posted a quote by George Washington about the rights of Americans to own and keep guns. I can not remember exactly how it goes, but it is a very intelligent statement made by one of our forefathers. Well he had several friends who commented on his post in a very positive manner, all but one. She instantly started ranting about how this did not apply in todays times and how we no longer needed to worry about invasion by England and how much better our world would be if guns were outlawed. Well one lady posted back in a very courteous manner about the fact that it was not England that we needed to worry about, it was the pill heads and criminals that was the concern in todays times. It was at this point that it started getting real ugly. The women's husband was even brought into the argument. Telling us how all those that oppose gun control are just stubborn and bull headed and we cant even carry on a peaceful conversation about the issue. The whole time it was the ones for gun control that was getting irate and loosing there temper. I just found it funny for some reason that it was someone who wanted stronger gun laws  loosing there temper so bad.  

lol, i think most of you know my views on firearms and gun control. I think that the more experienced shooters on the forum know from reading my posts that i have some knowledge of firearms and some real world experience. You know i am pro guns but anti muppets with guns.

Nice post. I just qualified for my CCW .  I fully support the 2nd amendment.

"Choose to put your faith in those who wear badges and praise them for the peace of mind instilled, but do not turn and scorn the time it takes to get them there while all the while innocent are killed. Sara Reilly, Sophomore Virginia Tech"