WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mistwalker

First Pics From The New Camera

Took the New camera for its first hike today...once I got the hang of it I got a few decent shots. With the rain we've had lately the trees look better.

DSC_0228.jpg

I took a couple of Johns knives on the hike with me, this is one of them. I like this design a lot, he made it for his son to take Boar hunting...I would like a slightly smaller version of it.

DSC_0218.jpg

I saw a few deer out today.

DSC_0251.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

One of the cool things about certain areas of the Prentice Cooper W.M.A. is that the agriculture dept. of UTC does studies up there. There is almost always corn growing up there somewhere in the summer.

DSC_0192.jpg

Combine that with the other wild edibles, fish, and wild life in the area and it's pretty easy to throw something together during the growing season.

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0232.jpg

I'm wondering if I could use these onion seeds like I use mustard seed in my soups. I grind up mustard seeds to add a bit of flavor.

DSC_0206.jpg

Then later on I headed back down town to try a few night shots, some of these are 30 second exposures. I still have to get used to it, but I'm really liking the new camera.

DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0272.jpg

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0280.jpg

DSC_0288.jpg

Nice pics, mistwalker!  I'm so glad you got such a good camera to take with you on your hikes.  It feels like I'm right there with ya!  Great shots of the corn and the onion pods.  :yes:

Nice pics, mistwalker!  I'm so glad you got such a good camera to take with you on your hikes.  It feels like I'm right there with ya!  Great shots of the corn and the onion pods.  :yes:

Thanks Holly, I mainly got this one for work...and my artistic "outlet". I'll take it down town sometimes but I just don't see taking it on long hikes a lot...it weighs a ton compared to my other camera  :). It's definitely going to take some getting used to on a couple of levels, good thing it came with 36 hours of classes  :hugegrin:

I still have to buy two lenses. It's odd having to by extras to get this camera able to do some things my "point-and-shoot " will do already but when I'm done this one will do them a lot better. You can tell by looking at the pics of the deer that the 18-55mm lens doesn't zoom very far clearly....so there goes another couple hundred bucks, then the wide angle will be another hundred. By the time I'm done I'll have over $1000.00 tied up in the camera and that's why I didn't spend the other $170.00 getting the D5000...I'll get it later and get the body only. I'm starting down some new paths...so I'll be on the forums a little less.

Nice Images Misty. The Nikon D3000 is a good camera. In my opinion Nikon make the best cameras.

In that deer image the camera was set in auto exposure with an F stop of F5.6 a shutter speed of 1/200 at ISO 800.

If you had taken the same image in aperture mode and set your aperture or F stop higher at say F11 or F16 you would have had a better focus throughout the image including the deer. The problem is you would have had a longer shutter speed so may have needed a tripod.

As with many tools its not the camera that is the problem it is how you use it, so i wish you all the best with the classes and i look forward to seeing your future images.

I don't know what software came with your camera but it may have included Nik Colour Efex which is Nikons image editing software. If not you can pick up copies of Adobe Photoshop Elements cheaply or sometimes free with some of the photography magazines.

If you have image editing software it is a good idea to learn how to use it. It allows you to get the very best from your image. If you use Imaging software it is a good idea to shoot all your images in RAW. In RAW the camera does not throw any of the image information away when compressing it to Jpeg. This means if you have made an in camera mistake taking an image you have a better chance at correcting it at a later date.

I have very quickly run this image through Photoshop CS5 to give you some idea how editing works  

DSC_0288.jpg

DSC_0288.jpg.c4d619310e6c527eb346e136282fb5cd.jpg

I don't know what software came with your camera but it may have included Nik Colour Efex which is Nikons image editing software. If not you can pick up copies of Adobe Photoshop Elements cheaply or sometimes free with some of the photography magazines.

If you have image editing software it is a good idea to learn how to use it. It allows you to get the very best from your image. If you use Imaging software it is a good idea to shoot all your images in RAW. In RAW the camera does not throw any of the image information away when compressing it to Jpeg. This means if you have made an in camera mistake taking an image you have a better chance at correcting it at a later date.

I have very quickly run this image through Photoshop CS5 to give you some idea how editing works 

DSC_0288.jpg

WOW! What a difference.... and MIST..... those are great pictures....

Misty i hope you don't mind but i like you night images so much i thought i would have a play with them.

DSC_0280.jpg.bb7a37d60b0204163c91e25ef700624e.jpg

DSC_0288.jpg.c8b28c42b9cc955ed25490dd7c3cd838.jpg

DSC_0300.jpg.da1b329071d9e69ef7015e7400c520be.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg.9aaa0909dc349b5ffce8ba508a61eab7.jpg

Nice Images Misty. The Nikon D3000 is a good camera. In my opinion Nikon make the best cameras.

In that deer image the camera was set in auto exposure with an F stop of F5.6 a shutter speed of 1/200 at ISO 800.

If you had taken the same image in aperture mode and set your aperture or F stop higher at say F11 or F16 you would have had a better focus throughout the image including the deer. The problem is you would have had a longer shutter speed so may have needed a tripod.

As with many tools its not the camera that is the problem it is how you use it, so i wish you all the best with the classes and i look forward to seeing your future images. 

Thanks Adi, oh I know the camera is much better than me at this point. That was the first day out with it and I had barely read any of the manual (still haven't read it all to the point of comprehension yet)

The first deer was shot on auto because I was just getting used to the camera and the second because I was driving still. The one in the Kudzu was so far away that the lens was maxed out and that was cropped from a 7MB file in the full sized file of which you wouldn't have known a deer was in if you didn't look very closely.

I wish I could say that some form of 200mm lens would be my next purchase...but considering the prices I think a remote will be next.

I'm still playing around with action shots "out of auto" adjusting the aperture and shutter speed.

And BTW, I don't mind at all on the editing, I'm still learning what this camera and software can do. I don't have a good understanding of the editing software yet. The camera came with something called viewNX that I am still studying but most of the pics I've edited on the old canon editing software. I just updated the viewNX and I'll restart the pc in a bit and see if it is doing better (moving faster) then.

The pictures you edited look great, I really need to study the new software more. It's a lot different and more complicated than what I am used to.