WildSurvive Forum
Rockhounder

WILDSURVIVE @ The Movies

:angel:  :devil: Ok campies, here's a little place that we can discuss everything we want to discuss about movies. For instance M. Night Shyamalan. Now he absolutely hit the nail on the head with  wacky078.gif The Sixth Sense. I loved that movie and the whole "I see dead people" thing. Plus, the kid in the movie made the whole thing work. Not so much for Bruce Willis, that could have been cast to anyone. Big thumbs up for THAT one!  :thumbup:

Then the one he made, Signs, the one with Joaquin Phoenix with a tin foil hershey's kiss on his head? Ok, liked the story, but c'mon do some friggin research man! Remember the part where M. (making a cameo appearance) says he has one of the aliens locked in the house? So Mel Gibson goes in the house, looks under the door, and sure enough there's an alien locked in the cupboard. Ok, think about it, these aliens have the technology for time/space travel, but they can't get out a locked door? It wasn't even a deadbolt either! And another hole in the plot was the fact that these aliens were killed by water AND they land in the midwest (well, all over the world apparently) but in the midwest, the humidity is like 80%! So, is it just water in liquid form that kills them? But they can breathe and exist with water vapor in the atmosphere? Nice story line, but plug the holes! :thumbdown:

Then Bill Hurt, and man was his acting really Hurt, in The Village..... gen140.gif :thumbdown:

Then comes Lady in the Water........  :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

and then the last twist of the knife in the gut.....I take my kids to go see The Last Airbender. So my kids are into this series and they complained about how crappy this movie was the entire drive home, and continued the conversation well past dinner. AND, it wasn't like my two boys were arguing about any of it, they were AGREEING with each other about how crappy it was! My oldest (12years) even says, "Dad, we can tell the movie theater guy that the movie wasn't even close to being like the series, we can ask the manager back for your money and tell him we were "frauded" (sic).  happy097.gif

Ok, this should get things started..........this is a thread where we want your two cents!

Oh, the other thing that kills me, especially about space movies, is when a ship goes by and you can hear the afterburners roaring, the whole doppler thing along with it..rrrRRROOOOAAAARRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrr.....as it passes by. Or a planet explodes and there's a big KABOOMMMMM!

Uh, I'm not sure if Hollywood is aware of this, but space is a vacuum. No air, no medium for sound to propogate with. It is totally silent in space. There is no atmosphere to carry sound from point A to point B.

So when a spacecraft would fly 2 inches from your face.......YOU WON"T HEAR A THING!

But I suppose it would be boring if all you could do was SEE these elaborate special effects of things going on in space and the whole scene would be in silence. I suppose they could have subtitles "KABLAM!" "KA-POW!" "BLAMMO!" "VROOOWWW" "ZING!" "KABLOOIE" 

I am going to totally LOVE this thread!  Great topic, Rocky!  :thumbsup:

I love "going to the movies".  Even at my age, there is still something almost magical about anticipating seeing a movie, standing in line at the ticket counter, finding the "perfect" seat, then watching all the previews of the movies coming out soon and planning which ones to see.  Then...the lights dim, the music swells, and I'm transported to another time, another land, another world.  Well...most of the time, anyway!

I don't watch regular television, but I do watch a lot of movies.  So...I'll try to pick out the ones worth watching and the ones worth watching out for!  :grin:

How about a sub thread: Movies so bad they're good.

My first suggestions; "Mom and Dad Saved the World" and "Ice Pirates".

A good survival movie: "Fortress", not the sci-fi dud, the Aussie one.

I love adventure/thriller/action movies the best of all.  And the more "over-the-top" the stunts are, the more I love the movie!  It makes me laugh so much when I see something so totally improbable, but cool just the same.

One of the funniest scenes in a movie that absolutely puts me in stitches is when Jason Bourne in "The Bourne Identity" pushes a dead guy over a railing, then rides on top of the guy's back down the middle of the stairwell, shooting bad guys on the landings and stairs as he and the dead guy hurtle to the floor.  The funniest part is when they hit the ground and bounce like a rubber ball.  :rofl:  Ashley and I had to re-wind that part and watch it over and over again as we laughed ourselves sick!  

Oh, the other thing that kills me, especially about space movies, is when a ship goes by and you can hear the afterburners roaring, the whole doppler thing along with it..rrrRRROOOOAAAARRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrr.....as it passes by. Or a planet explodes and there's a big KABOOMMMMM!

Uh, I'm not sure if Hollywood is aware of this, but space is a vacuum. No air, no medium for sound to propogate with. It is totally silent in space. There is no atmosphere to carry sound from point A to point B.

So when a spacecraft would fly 2 inches from your face.......YOU WON"T HEAR A THING!

But I suppose it would be boring if all you could do was SEE these elaborate special effects of things going on in space and the whole scene would be in silence. I suppose they could have subtitles "KABLAM!" "KA-POW!" "BLAMMO!" "VROOOWWW" "ZING!" "KABLOOIE" 

~ Well, one thing that bugs ME about Space movies, is that... there is also NO up or down, so how come (when space ships meet) they're all flying right-side-up?  :unsure:

you never see ONE ship upside down, meeting another ship that's right side up or sideways,  (to the camera's perspective). And WHAT's with the solid colored Jumpsuits? Do they just give up on personal style in the future?

Taken, they did do that in "The Wrath of Khan".

Almost as bad in war movies, night time seeing artillery flash in distance and hearing sound immediately.

At least the old 1980's video game "Asteroids" had the whole "space" dynamics down. When you would hit "thrust" on the game, it would thrust you into a vector which you could not change unless you turned your craft a different direction and hit thrust again. Then you would vector in THAT direction.

You're right Taken. Whenever they show one armada approaching another armada, everyone is right side up! You would have to have visual of the other ships to know which way was "up". It's not like spaceships have a false horizon instrument on their panel, there's no friggin gravity!

~ Ok....    I NEVER wanted to mention this movie (On a survival forum), but if y'all want to see the absolute WORST move made in the last year...(Maybe ever)  a movie that literally should be a screaming example of what NEVER do in a survival situation...   :woot: :rofl:   A movie that will have you sitting on the edge of your seat wanting it to be OVER because it is SO lame, and stupid...........  A movie that will make your youngest child stand up and curse the adults in the movie for being so stupid on Survival know-how...

WATCH   The Canyon....

LMAO!  (In the end you'll be praying for them to DIE) I promise.  :smoke:

The Canyon - Official Trailer [HD]

Dang it Taken!!!!! Now I GOTTA SEE IT!!!! and NO, it wasn't the stupid survival immiment death scenes.............the very FIRST SHOT of the trailer is a crotch shot of a hottie in her panties!!!

That sold me right there!!!! THanks alot for wasting a good 120 minutes of my life. There better be more gratuitus sex scenes before they go hawlin off in the desert or I'm really gonna be dissappointed!

~ I DARE any of you to watch this movie....   I promise, we could have a week long thread just laughing about it.  :woot: :rofl:

and ... Uh, yeah, Rocky, the sex scenes are fantastic...    :whistle:

~ I DARE any of you to watch this movie....  I promise, we could have a week long thread just laughing about it.  :woot: :rofl:

and ... Uh, yeah, Rocky, the sex scenes are fantastic...    :whistle:

This would actually be fun to watch in the man cave. We could just bash it all to smithereens.

Almost as bad in war movies, night time seeing artillery flash in distance and hearing sound immediately.

HA!!! You're right! I've never caught onto that one!

my dad and I watch X men wolverine Loved it. explosions great fighting scences my dad and I love action movies we keep saying it's not a movie unless something blowes up I try those feel good movies but I want something to explode or get killed  :bandit:

You Want Explosions.

You Want Gratuitous Sex.

You Want Motorcycles.

You want poor acting and improbable plots.

"The Losers" (1970)

Okay, lots of stuff to look over and talk about...

M. Night's Sixth Sense was good, but once you see the ending can you really ever watch it and enjoy it again?  I admit I was caught off guard by the ending and it was a pretty good story.  And I agree that Signs had some real holes in it, yeah.  As for the alien in the pantry, why didn't his buddies help?  Sure, the door was barricaded so maybe--maybe--he couldn't get out, but did the rest of his crew just lose track of him?  Where's his ray gun??  Water was an easy out I guess, but like Rocky said breathing would have been impossible for them.  Otherwise it was pretty suspenseful.

I haven't seen Canyon but now I'll look for it!

Remember in the movie Alien the line they used on the posters was "In Space No One Can Hear You Scream!"  Yeah, sound effects in the vacuum of space!  But, I guess without the sound effects of that massive space cruiser buzzing overhead in the opening scene of Star Wars--A New Hope it would have lost something.  And how would you know the Enterprise was firing at you if you couldn't hear the photon torpedoes?

I want to go see "Salt", "Inception", "Despicable Me", and the latest sparkly vampire movie.  :grin:  I think Ashley and I are going to do a movie marathon this weekend coming up.  :thumbsup:

The most recent movie I've seen was Knight and Day with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz. I really liked it. It had a really good story line and Cruise wasn't his cheesy-used-car-salesman-acting. I think it would be a movie that I'd be inclined to see again.

BTW- I just noticed this with a few movies: Why is it that there are some movies that you own, but you never watch the copy that you own, but when they are on TV you HAVE to watch it, commercials and all. Even though you could just turn it off, put in the dvd you own and watch it WITHOUT commercials, you you don't, you suffer through the commercials and are compelled to watch the network TV version! An example of this type of movie is: The Shawshank Redemption -or- The Matrix

-or is it just me???

~ NO... it's NOT just you!   happy097.gif   I do the same THING...  with a twist, I'll even stay up late and lose sleep knowing I have to work the next day rather than just tell myself that I can go to bed and watch the DVD version tomorrow at a decent hour.   wacky115.gif

I think the idea of "having to stand UP, then WALK to the DVD case, LOOK through it, and actually WALK to the TV, and INSERT the DVD is just too much work for the Average remote-addicted  American.  :P

Shawshank Redemption was one of the movies last month that made me lose sleep. (Even though I own it, I can't remeber the last time I watched the DVD. LOL...)  But if I EVER catch it on, I have to watch it.

Same with Gladiator, and ANY of the Bourne Identity movies.   :thumbsup:

I can never NOT watch Sleepless in Seattle, or When Harry Met Sally.

I'll watch Forest Gump EVERY time it comes on...  same with Sling blade.

And that brings me to the next odd phenomenon, why is it that some movies you just HAPPEN to catch at the SAME point every time you're flipping through the channels? Like, I can never catch Forest Gump before he goes to war. Not sure why. I always seem to come in when he's at the New Year's Eve party.  :unsure:

My favorite romantic comeday lately. I'll watch it everytime it comes on, is It happened in Vegas. and I still laugh my ass off everytime I see it.... weird.

Shawshank Redemption was one of the movies last month that made me lose sleep. (Even though I own it, I can't remeber the last time I watched the DVD. LOL...)  But if I EVER catch it on, I have to watch it.

I know! I own it too and I don't EVER think I've seen the beginning of the movie, I always catch it when he's already in the pokey. But do you think I'd go pull my copy off the shelves and see what happens in the beginning? Nope. Ain't gonna happen. That's just it, it's a phenomenon. (Which is ironic because the MOVIE Phenomenon was filmed right here in my town of Auburn. They filmed part of it in "old town" about 1/2 a mile from my house. Every few years some of the actors get together and have a little reunion.

Would you care to partake in a piece of pecan PIEEEEEEEE?????

I don't know how many times I've watched "The Great Escape", "Quigley Down Under", or "The Quiet Man" on TV when I haven't even broken the seal on the DVD case.  I also have movies I've wanted to see, bought, and put on the shelf to watch later, but later still hasn't got here yet.

I don't go to movie theaters because I can't sit still long enough.  I got three or four movies on the netflix watch on line that I'll watch a few minutes then come back later and watch some more.