WildSurvive Forum
ManvsGear

Best Camping Firearm

I think there are many advantages to owning a good all around firearm. Whether it's for protection or food in a survival situation.

I have some experience with a 30/30, but this would be overkill for more common, smaller game. I'm looking for something with a versatile chambering, that would give me some distance, protection, and ability to take smaller game if need be.

Does anyone have any experiences with particular guns that they could recommend?

Thanks!

By the time you carry the different barrels, tools, etc. you might as well carry a second or third gun.  There are two exceptions to that, that I know of.  The first is a revolver that is chambered for a .410 shotgun shell and .41 mag or .45.    The other is over and under combo, it come in many combonations, but the most common is .22/20 gauge.  Breach loading and with slug or shot you have a wide selection hunting/protection.

For a single gauge/caliber gun I would suggest a shotgun.    Find one that is comfortable to carry and shoot for you.

Check what is legal to carry in your area.

Good advice there Freebirdie.

What exactly are you looking for this gun to do you?  What are your primary concerns?

Also, feel free to go over to the welcome section and introduce youself!

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to look into those calibers.

I think my primary purpose in carrying a gun at this point is protection. I've had some encounters in the last few seasons that were a little too close for comfort with Bear and Elk.

The ability to hunt small game is really secondary, and would only be necessary in a true survival situation.

I like the idea of a shotgun, though most I've used are too heavy to trek around with for more than a few miles.

If your looking primarily for protection than what about a handgun of some type?  I am no gun expert what-so-ever, but it just seems to make sense to me. Its light weight, and depending on the caliber and load, can pack quite a bit of stopping power.  Also if you train with it I'm sure you could use it to take small game.

Another thing to concider if your worried about bears, is bear spray.  In a recent study, well here is the quote-

"Another study was performed by Thomas Smith, a bear biologist from Brigham Young University. After analyzing 20 years of bear incidents, he found that bear spray was effective 92 percent of the time, compared to 67 percent for guns. Add to this that you can't bring guns into many national parks, and it seems like the spray is the best way to go."

Source- Linky

Welcome to the forum!  Stop by and visit the Campfire thread some evening and get to know some of the crazies, er...regulars!

Ask six different people and you're likely to get six different answers on this topic.  Some of us feel that the best all-around survival gun is a .22 LR while others would prefer a shotgun.  Add in protection from two-legged and four-legged threats and it makes it tougher to decide on a good "all-around" gun.  I don't think one of us could really give you the perfect answer for your situation, but we can discuss the pro's and con's of different types and calibers to help you decide what works best for you.  As Watcher said, bear spray may be a better option instead or in addition to a firearm.

A .22 or even .17 caliber rifle is a good survival gun for several reasons.  For getting small game or signaling you could carry a lot of ammo in the space you could pack just one magazine or box of centerfire cartridges.  Even a .22 handgun is capable of taking game provided you have taken the time to become proficient.  .22 LR ammo is still relatively cheap, so lots and lots of practice will hone your skills and provide a lot of fun.  .22 Magnum or .17 HMR ammo--while not as cheap as .22 LR--is also relatively inexpensive compared to centerfire ammo.  A .22 rifle or handgun is also fairly lightweight.  In a pinch a .22 can also defend you from the two-legged and smaller four-legged threats.  It won't provide the power of a larger caliber, however. 

A shotgun will have the advantage of versatility.  You can hunt small game or large game, and it would be a more useful defensive arm.  Depending upon the model, you could hunt birds up to and including turkey, small game like rabbits and squirrels, larger game like deer.  Loads will run from light trap loads, game loads, buckshot, and up through solid slugs.  The disadvantages include the weight of the ammo and firearm, and to be able to be a true all-around gun a longer barrel would be best--which would make the gun less handy to pack.  However, as a defensive arm a shotgun loaded with heavy buckshot or slugs is a fearsome thing. 

You said that you've had experience with a .30-30, and a centerfire rifle would have some advantages as well.  Not as handy as a .22 rifle or pistol, but as easy to carry as a shotgun.  A lever-action rifle can be light, fast, and can be had in calibers that will put down a sasquatch in body armor.  Like the shotgun, the ammo is heavier and takes up space.  Other rifle types would work too, but for the bush a lever would be good.  A centerfire rifle would be overkill for small game, but in a pinch it would work.  A centerfire rifle would allow you to take larger game and to defend yourself.

Now, handguns are a bit tougher.  They take plenty of practice, and a .44mag or .454 Casull sure isn't for everyone.  For bears and large animals folks often take a big revolver into the woods feeling well-protected.  If a bear or other animal charges out of no where and you only have a couple of seconds to react, it's possible that you won't get any type of firearm out in time, let alone shoot well enough to make a quick kill.  The biggest advantage of a handgun is, of course, it's portability.  A hip or bandolier holster is easier to carry than a rifle or shotgun on a sling.

This is just a quick outline of some of the advantages and disadvantages of each, and I don't know if it's of any help to you but we'll try our best to answer your questions.  The issues are:  What is your skill level, what type of firearms are you familiar with, and how much time are you willing to invest?  Do you currently own a firearm, and if you don't own a firearm, how much are you willing to invest in one and the ammunition for it? 

K bob verry well put I have ben looking for a survival weapon colection as well. I personaly feal that one gun will not do I have ben toying with the idea of a  Remington spr94 in .22lr and .410 I was thinkin to pare it with a 30 30 leaver action or a socom 16 and then a hand gun lie a glock in .45 I figure with this set up I have small game coverd with the remington then big game/ 2 legged enamies with the leveraction or the socom and close quartes with the handguun. Anny thoughs

carry bear spry....someone wants your wallet.....spray em.......bear comes....spray it.......pissy moose comes, run, climb a tree, try to spray it.........mucouse mebranes are not friends with that stuff!

the above line will work for animals.

now for the human threats.......someone wants to fist fight ya, play dirty, rip an ear off or something.......someone pulls a knife on you.......the odds youll be able to wrestle it away, not too good. just stall and reason with em, and try to find an opening for the fist fihgt conclusion!  someone pulls a gun, dont try to pull yours, odds are if a human is desperate to pull a weapon, they are desperate enough to use it. odds are in a gun/knife fight that you will live.....its not worth the injury, knives, cash, gold is not worth your life.  eg; even though its your wedding band, im sure your spouse would prefer to have you with no ring, than have just the ring, and you in a box!

as for bush/ultility guns....( in my experiences only)

swede was right, those little marlin papuses.....great little thing, packs small too

you can get a little single shot 22lr......light bush guns, ammo is cheap, and you can sling em no prob.

marlin makes a nice lever action...chambered in 22mag, also takes 22lr and 22 short..........no magazine to get snagged on brush, and nice little compact lever action

those combo guns mentioned earlier.......

22lr/410 shotgun, etc.......nice things to have, but they are impossible to find around here, and fairly costly.

rossi rifles make some nice models, some have interchangable barrels for different calibres, also the option of single shot.

a single shot shotgun, or a smaller bolt action 410 shotgun are some interesting choices too

thats my $0.02

My choice would be a hybrid between the two (handgun and rifle). They're illegal in California now, but I bought one pre-1992 when they were banned and I often take it with me on hikes and wilderness camping. It's a rifle (carbine) with handgun ammo. 

The Marlin Camp 9 Carbine. It's a semi-auto carbine rifle (very similar to the Ruger 10/22) chambered in 9mm. Being it's a carbine rifle, the 9mm is very effective up to 100yards although it drops like a meteor a little farther out. However, a 100yards is more than adequate when in a survival situation. You can sack a LOT of game with a 9mm and it's a great personal protection firearm as well.

So that's MY favorite camping firearm.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to look into those calibers.

I think my primary purpose in carrying a gun at this point is protection. I've had some encounters in the last few seasons that were a little too close for comfort with Bear and Elk.

The ability to hunt small game is really secondary, and would only be necessary in a true survival situation.

I like the idea of a shotgun, though most I've used are too heavy to trek around with for more than a few miles.

If you want to be able to deal with these kinds of animals...and the gun still be highly portable...I'd go with the S&W 500

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/recreation/1277336

I like those, I liked the Ruger versions too that took the same mags as the Ruger pistols. Pity they didn't make a 10mm version, would have been an awesome camping fire arm.

A round often over looked is the 357 magnum. It can be used in both handgun and rifle. It is as good as a 30-30 under 200 yds in a rifle. Will put down any animal in N. America with the right shot placement. The loads can be hand-loaded to your preference. Can use 38 special also in it.

I would carry a pistol in addition to have the Springfield M6 Scout in 22 LR/410 combo.  Here is a picture:  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSm2N3JUpc2epAknKPA-hd-T4yh_7vWqWpQKGPcNmuJlAnW8zQ&t=1&usg=__6AMcdy_AkSPE2X13ubV4__ciwcw=

Here is a picture folded:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCRuT5ETs5V9QVJ1VkwWavuAJkoxK79ti0WmTViiOzQd3TGXw&t=1&usg=__IdyFrbCw2uVjM5u4pGq2E6D75uY=

Both the barrels are already built into the gun.  You select your barrel with the flip of a switch.  Extra ammo is also stored in the stock.

you can fire a 45 long colt (not a 45 acp) from a 410 shotgun. ive never done this and i know since the bore isn't rifled the accuracy will suffer but your bullet velocity or the colt will be alot better due to the pressure of the burnt powder having more time to push the bullet down the barrel. i think that that  springfield m6 scout is the single most versatile survival rifle you could own. the 410 can fire slugs and shot. both devastating at close quarters. and the .22 is still the tops when it comes to procuring small game. you could carry 300 rounds of it in a pocket and not even know its there. if your carefull with your aim you could have  alot of meals with it and i know with good shot placement you can kill a deer sized animal. (you might have to track it a ways) just throwing in my 2Cents. great old thread, glad i found it.

How about a 10/22 for the small game hunting and ab.357 mag with say a 6" barel for the larger preditors. My thoughts being that in the evenbyou get atacked you may not have enough time to pull up the rifle. Good thred

Ruger makes a new 10/22 take down, sweet little gun. Fore arm and barel seperates at the front of the chamber. Comes in a really nice tactical bag with lots of pockets and molle straps. I ordered one last week, little pricey for a .22 at $350 but I like it a lot better then the henry ar7 witch is a great camp gun too.

Ruger 10/22 take down I got today and a Henry ar-7. The last pic is a size comparison of the two with a 10/22 carbine also.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349650239.014397.jpg.db785ee30ce66ce0e4e15849cee2535a.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349650267.701303.jpg.4a853b53420ca680693fef8fe0ed77d8.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349650290.418768.jpg.f3e09bdf1876571047c94c4d3a5ae3e3.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349650318.879756.jpg.a8712bb9d820f5a063953c9ed1aca092.jpg

I have been wanting one of the Henry AR7's for a while. The Ruger is a very good choice too.

Hold the ar-7 in your hands of you havnt yet... There nice cause there pack size but a little awkward to shot... Still a great gun though.

Probably an excellent choice would be a savage 24 in most of it's configurations.

.22lr/410ga

.22lr/20ga

.308/12ga

etc...

I highly recommend the Marlin Papoose, for a .22 camp/survival gun. Have you considered a .12GA. or .20GA. with caliber adapters. This is something I have been looking into as of late. www.gunadapters.com

NR