WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mistwalker

A Little Bush...And A Little Craft.....

The photos I needed yesterday took me back to the woods...I always love that. I was out at a place near Goat Point on Walden's Ridge, I got there just at sunrise and took a walk to look for what I needed.

DSC_1629.jpg

It's hard to walk through these woods without finding fatwood so I harvested some really rich stuff for a friend.

DSC_1553.jpg

DSC_1635.jpg

I almost stepped on this little guy, he was really well camouflaged and I barely noticed him.

DSC_1565.jpg

Lots of spiders in this area.

DSC_1633.jpg

This is some weird looking stuff on these leaves...seen it before but have no idea what it is.

DSC_1569.jpg

This little fella had some good camo going on too.

DSC_1664.jpg

Having found what I was looking for I headed back to "base camp" and the truck. Near by I found a fairly freshly fallen log that was still good and solid. I decided to try my hand at making a spoon since Spark has started a contest on it. I had a prototype hawk I've been messing around with so I decided to have a little fun with the tools I had on me. I chopped off a limb and roughed out the shape with the hawk and then started dressing it up with the Bushfinger. I'm not sure what kind of wood this is...but it sure is hard.

DSC_1550.jpg

DSC_1574.jpg

DSC_1575.jpg

DSC_1579.jpg

It was good to just sit and whittle and think, and the Bushfinger was really a pleasure to work with. About an hour and a half of just sitting and whittling in peace and no hot spots at all.

DSC_1591.jpg

DSC_1585.jpg

It started taking shape pretty quick.

DSC_1583.jpg

DSC_1582.jpg

This is what it looks like now as I haven't sanded on it any and I'm still trying to decide if I want to burn it out, gouge it out, or buy a curved spoon knife and scoop it out.

DSC_1605.jpg

DSC_1604.jpg

DSC_1603.jpg

I was having so much fun using the Bushfinger I decided to try a few things with it. I started making a notched adjustable pot hanger out of a recently dead Dogwood limb.

DSC_1688.jpg

DSC_1691.jpg

DSC_1692.jpg

DSC_1696.jpg

DSC_1698.jpg

DSC_1700.jpg

But on the trip to the truck to get the canteen after already nearly finishing off the guyot in the 106F heat index I realized I didn't have to 2qt canteen in the truck so my lunch of Lipton instant chicken noodle soup was not going to happen. So...I through the pot hanger in the back of the truck to finish later and just played around with the Bushfinger a little more before heading home to eat. I decided to try the tip for boring in a piece of the same hard wood that was split to make the spoon. The tip held up great and did a great job of boring a good sized hole through about 3/4 of an inch of some really hard wood.

DSC_1674.jpg

DSC_1666.jpg

DSC_1672.jpg

DSC_1676.jpg

DSC_1678.jpg

DSC_1680.jpg

DSC_1682.jpg

And after all the whittling, the bit of batoning, and the boring I tested the edge again and it would still whittle fuzz sticks good enough to use for tinder.

DSC_1705.jpg

In the end I was sort of glad I was out of water and had an excuse to leave...after hours in the 105F heat this was about as much fire as I wanted :)

DSC_1706.jpg

Thanks Andy, this knife and the energy it brings are fantastic. Today was just what the doctor ordered and i enjoyed it very much. I'm really looking forward to Autumn when I can really enjoy it.

Who makes the Bushfinger? 

Also, great pics, looks like an awesome time!

It's made by a man named Andy Roy who runs Fiddleback Forge.

Thanks glad you enjoyed the pics, wish I was back up there today lol.

Great looking spoon.

Thanks, but now I have to start another one because I didn't put my user name and the date somewhere in the "before pic" when I started it.

Thanks, but now I have to start another one because I didn't put my user name and the date somewhere in the "before pic" when I started it.

Give me the pic, I'll throw it in there on a sheet of paper.

Give me the pic, I'll throw it in there on a sheet of paper.

Lol, thanks anyway but Spark already busted me on it. No biggie, the contest goes through sept anyway and i think I can do better starting over...I learned a couple of things on this one.

That's a sweet looking blade Mist. I want one.

I feel sorry for the poor SOB that runs into you in the woods mist, carrying your fighting hawk and blades, prolly scare em half to death!

What forum is that on Mistie?  And I thought it was a Fiddleback, just couldn't remember the name!

The W&SS section on Blade Forums

That's a sweet looking blade Mist. I want one.

I feel sorry for the poor SOB that runs into you in the woods mist, carrying your fighting hawk and blades, prolly scare em half to death!

Andy does some fine work! Pieces of art that function very well.

I think I've managed to make a few people nervous in my day...that's why I tend to go to secluded areas  :)

Oh...and that time I wasn't even carrying my fighting hawk...it has a spike on the back  :hugegrin:

I think I've managed to make a few people nervous in my day...that's why I tend to go to secluded areas  :)

Oh...and that time I wasn't even carrying my fighting hawk...it has a spike on the back  :hugegrin:

Mist,

Ok, I NEED one of them knives. PM me details so I know WTF I'm talking about when I call Dan. His website doesn't have much info yet, seems like a work in progress. Either way, I'll drop your name for credit.

Great looking knife and spoon! I might have to get in on this spoon contest...

Your pictures almost make me feel homesick. I can't wait for a break from the heat so I can get lost in the woods for a few days.

Great looking knife and spoon! I might have to get in on this spoon contest...

Your pictures almost make me feel homesick. I can't wait for a break from the heat so I can get lost in the woods for a few days.

Thanks, the spoon could be better but I couldn't be happier with the knife. I have been wanting one of Andy's knives for about two years.

Are you a member of Blade Forums? The contest is easy to find, just read through the list of topics in the W&SS section and you'll see it.

Nice pics Mist!!!

Love the Fiddleback. Knew right away what that was.

Thanks Tonk!  So you're familiar with Andy's work?

I've scared people just by saying "Hi" ......... after they walked by not realising I was there.

I've scared people just by saying "Hi" ......... after they walked by not realising I was there.

Yep, been guilty of that one a few times too.........