WildSurvive Forum

Manvs,

I would like to see at least a little bit of the review posted here, just a copy and paste, that way we can see if we are interested enough to follow through the link...

Mind posting a portion here with a read more...?

I bought one of the LMFIIs a few years ago when they hadn't been out long. They were Gerber's shot at the lucrative U.S. Military contracts for survival knives for pilots but in the end Ontario once again won out with their design and Gerber renamed it the LMFII Infantry. So you actually like the knife a lot? To me it looked really good in theory but after actually using it for a while I found it handle heavy and heavy period for a hiking knife, I didn't like the wight distribution for chopping at all though would have been great in a fight. I personally like the Prodigy much better, it actually is full tang and doesn't have the heavy pommel. I also didn't like that the blade and pommel are separated inside the handle of the LMFII to allow for electrical insulation when cutting live wires...which I saw little chance of me ever doing with my knife since I'm not active duty military. Even on stick tangs I like the tang to go all the way to the end of the handle

I agree that the knife is quite heavy. I've been in the market for a nice, simple straight edge blade for short trips and hikes. I do love my LMF II, but it's just not the knife that you want to pack on every trip out.

Here's the first half of the review:

Designed as an all around survival knife for the United States Air Force, the Gerber LMF II packs in as much usability as possible. The average camper or backpacker will find this tool to be quite useful, though there are drawbacks to having a “jack of all trades” knife.

One of the first things you’ll notice while handling the knife is it’s weight. The hefty LMF II weighs in at 3 lbs, which could be a deal breaker for some backpackers. Although, that weight comes in handy when using the blade as a hatchet, or using the flat hammer face on the butt of the knife. It’s thick full tang blade is perfect for battoning as it quickly splits logs and smaller stumps.

I’ve had my Coyote Brown LMF II ASEK for about a year now, and I’ve really given it hell. The only part of the blade that suffers from my abuse seems to be the handle. The material at the cross-guard and just below the hammer face have really taken a beating, and there aren’t any options to replace or repair the handle.

The handle of the blade is concave on both sides to assist in lashing the knife to a pole (in case you’re in a situation where you need to put a little distance between you and whatever might be considering you it’s next meal). It’s a great theory, but its never yielded any benefit to me, and the concave handle makes the blade a little tricky to handle when you’re trying to perform delicate work. The handle also happens to be insulated from the blade allowing you to cut through live electrical wire without fear of electrocution, though I’ve never tested that one out.

Read more...http://manvsgear.com/2010/08/gerber-lmf-ii-asek-review/

I own one, I like it, not love it. Good for keeping in the car but not so great as a hiking knife. Good blade length and shape. I find the handle very comfortable but as you say they don't stand up to a bit of abuse. Not being full tang doesn't really bother me as the tang extends most of the handle which I think is good enough (although i'm no expert).

Just noticed the link down the bottom of your review http://manvsgear.com/2010/08/bear-grylls-survival-gear-by-gerber/ . Very interesting, I really liked his bayley knife that he designed, all of it bar the price. I've been looking at one on ebay that's alot cheaper http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Discovery-Wilderness-Survival-Bear-Grylls-Knife-/160466063950?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item255c85d24e . Hmmmmm decisions decisions  :S

The Bayley knives are great. I looked into them a few years ago, but could never justify the high price point. The ebay auction might be the way to go...

Guest smallgamehunter

skip the gerber get a sog field pup alot better knife for the price