WildSurvive Forum

A common topic of hypothetical conversation among my buddies is self induced survival.

If you were dropped off in the middle of (in our case) the Desert with three items, and had to survive for a week, what items would you bring?

I think the obvious is: A fixed blade knife, a ferro rod and a metal canteen.

I think these items are essential for the following reasons.

A good fixed blade knife gives you a platform to create a myriad of other tools. It's going to help you create your shelter and it serves as protection covering two of the three absolutes for survival.

The ferro rod is not completely necessary and I often look at is as my "luxury item," but it certainly makes fire starting easier. It could also be used to scare away wildlife in a pinch.

Stumbling upon water in the desert is a life saver, but most water holes you run into out here are going to be stagnant and full of bacteria. Having a metal canteen allows you to not only take the water with you, but sterilize the water through boiling.

I wanted to see if you guys have any thoughts about this scenario. Would you bring anything different? What about different climates and terrains: would being in a forest, or in a mountain range change the type of gear you would bring?

Let me hear your thoughts!

-MVG

If I was staying put for 7 days i'd consider dropping the ferro rod and maybe replacing it with a plastic sheet. Jungle would call for a machete, ferro rod and a mosquito net, and as for forest/alpine terrain i'd probably take knife, ferro rod, and a metal container.

@survivorgirl Haha, what happens when you get thirsty?

@taken by the wind, I don't think an RV counts... You might get tired dragging it around all day, lol.

@Matt I'm a big fan of a good tarp. Can't go wrong there.

@Swede I've been looking into getting a spot! I want to start tracking my hiking trails and camping spots. How accurate would you say it is?

I can't say that i would do anything different... water is an absolute must. IF i could add one item to make it 4 it would have to be a tarp.

it's 20 degrees more without shade.  if your lucky enough to be in an area like this (http://www.wildsurvive.com/outdoor-camping-forum/index.php/topic,4368.0.html) then there is plenty of shade

it would defiantly be move by night and sleep by day. water in my area is not really hard to find but it's far from clean and food shouldn't be a problem... I usually kill a desert rat when I go mountain biking in the dark.

yea I have to agree but since I like to make sure I have a fire I would bring 3 ways to make a fire  happy070.gif

yeah youll get thirsty all right.

king and MVG........i agree with your 3 totally, if i could take a 4th item a tarp or a good heavy clear leaf bag would be next...........im peronally not a fan of a desert......in any way........mainly as i have never been encountered by it,m or have any reasonable access to ir.........put me in a mountain, forest or tundra any day!

The hypothetical scenarios are good sometimes...they are designed to make you think. It makes you think about each piece of gear and their usefulness in a particular situation. Personally any place I am intentionally going I am taking more than three pieces of kit. The three you've chosen are pretty standard among a lot of people. What I would say I would take to the desert would be purely guessing based on reading books and watching shows in the past as I have never actually been there myself. I read about it when I get the chance, and talk to people who do live and go on hikes there. I've read some of Cody Lundin's thoughts on it in his books and gained a little insight but I have no working knowledge as of yet. I know I would want a knife...just because I'm me and I always want a knife if I can possibly have one. I think maybe I would want my Nalgene s.s. guyot or a similar Kleen Kanteen that will serve as vessel for both water storage and water purification. But then again my coffee cup screws apart giving me two vessels which work well for improvised filtration and the inner liner is stainless steel which works fine for boiling, so maybe I'd rather have a larger version of my coffee cup. In a hi desert or one where there is wood and plant life I'd likely fore-go the ferro rod and take an AMK Heat Sheet for shade in the day and cover at night and hope I could friction my way to fire in one fashion or another.

I would carry a knife, my guyot bottle or canteen cup and a heat sheet or a 55 gal trash bag. Either of which could be used also a solar still if needed. But provide me with shelter and shade and keep me warm at night. But as Mistwalker says I would definitely be carrying more than 3 items with me. Ferro-rod is a great piece of equipment to have but there are also other ways to make fire. So I could do with out it if I had too.

The basic necessities for sustaining life are water, shelter, and food.  So, the three things I would carry would ensure that I'm meeting those needs.

I would bring my mini machete which is big enough to chop small branches to build a shelter, but small enough to use for more delicate jobs too, like cleaning a fish or game, if I'm able to catch any.  

I'd bring my mag/flint stick since I'm not overly skilled in fire building.  

Like Tatonka, I would bring a large trash bag which can be used for warmth and for catching water as a solar still or if it rains.  

the best survival tool is being acclimatized to the area.. I can go mountain biking when it is 100 degrees out but I've had friends up north bail and turn back because it was two hot.

but it's just like being in an oven. from 2:00pm to 6:00pm we don't go outside... or should i say don't do outside activities.

Phoenix has it about 3-5 degrees worse then us. 

Quick answer would be same three items I'd want anywhere...

Knife, fixed blade Mora if I can't cheat and bring the SL3

Canteen, metal may be better as noted by others

Poncho/plastic tarp, for shelter, water collection, use as a packsack.

Normally wouldn't go anywhere without the LMF knife with its built-in firesteel, but starting a fire in the desert would be a tad easier with the inherent dryness of available wood and tinder, also a likely location for pyrites which can be struck for a spark.  Depending on which desert and what season a fire may not even be necessary.

A fourth absolute to-die-for item would be a small coil of heavy twine/550 cord, could even be handier than the poncho in the right environs (forest yields plenty of shelter material, need to rope it together and while I can use vines the rope is a lot easier).  Also useful for snares.

If I'm with others, one of those items would have to be a jar of instant coffee.    You don't want to be around me when I'm going through decaffeination.  whip.gif :help: :rant:

after spending 2 days... full days 48 hours + in the desert sun of Nevada watching an off road race. i have to drop the fire starter and add the tarp..  yes it is dry but starting a fire will still be hard because of the limited things that could be used to start the fire.

132L of water a day was enough to keep the headaches away.  Nevada is nothing but a waste land compared to Utah's red rock.

highs were around 103F and lows around 60F 

you pray for dark during the day and pray for sun during the morning.

"You pray for dark during the day and pray for sun during the morning right before dawn.  If the heat of the day doesn't kill ya, there's always a Zombie or two waiting to finish you off as soon as the sun goes down..."

Have been thinking about this one while walking with Buddy in the woods today, and came up with a different list altogether from my original but only based on a certain scenario - that of walking my way out of this situation.  It dawned on me that none of us mentioned a map as one of the three items, which probably dooms us to being stuck in this wasteland indefinitely. 

Please remember that this is an exercise in alternative solutions (using sound logic, I hope) and with that in mind, here's an alternate list:

1 gallon jug of water

Ponch/tarp for shelter

Terrain map of surrounding area

Here's the logic, please read through before flaming me for leaving the knife behind :) 

Shelter from the sun during the day is going to be of primary importance, thus the poncho - water conservation begins here.

A gallon of water, carefully used by a person only travelling at night, could be stretched to a couple of days, replenishment might even be possible.

The map would be invaluable at finding and navigating the quickest route out of this mess, could even locate resupply of water.

Okay, have at it, and feel free to rip my logic to shreds, you may even use a piece of sharp obsidian to do so, which you may locate in a desert.  All I'm really getting at here is that a map may get me out of this predicament before a knife becomes an absolute must.  I think the original post probably meant staying here the whole 7 days, but given the choice of walking out I might take the chance, this would be a decision to make only if one was confident that walking out could be accomplished by the 3rd night (when you would become too dehydrated and weakened to go any further)

Would you try this?

A bag with clean clothes.

A good working credit card.

The phone number for Best Western.  :thumbsup: