WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swede

Home Less Increases

All across the country as the economic conditions continue to worsen more and more people are beginning to feel the effects. Those of us who are retired and grandparents are experiencing first hand the pressures of our children and grand children. Those of us who have jobs and teenagers are facing tough decisions as to their children' s future.

The recent riot in front of a housing development only exposes to the public the growing train wreck that is coming.

Its really left me questioning my future.  I currently cannot think of any occupation besides teaching...  I'm worried about paying for college, supporting a future family, buying a nice home, and being able to live the life I want to.  I'm just not sure whats going to happen in the coming years!

My 44 year old daughter has moved back in with us and has given up her marriage as it seems many across the country are facing. She is pursuing a career in nursing and with some pull from her mother the nurse she has landed a job in the hospital as a house cleaner and has enrolled in Junior college for classes. Dad and Mom are footing the bills so far and its going to be a long tough road ahead. She will not have enough income to have her own place for quite some time.

The hopes of many are depending on family for help.

Watcher all I can sugest is to move slowly and take your time witch choosing a carear path I origonaly wanted to go into auto mecanics but after working at m grand fathers shop I have learned working on cars is a hobby for me. Swede I as well at my young age am worried about where this nation is headed. I fear not only for my future but what my son will have to face as he gets older. That is why I have desided to build a home stead for my family and to learn to live a more frugal life style. I want to have the property set up to supply proabbalt 90% of my food things I would probably have to buy would be milk sugar things like that but well see maybe just sugar I'm not to shure about trying my hand at having a milk cow. My thoughts being if I build this home stead and teching my son every thing I know if things are compleetly in the tiolet my son will be able to take care of his own famly.

I am seeing a lot of families who are consolidating their households with other family members.  In some ways, this is a wonderful thing.  It gives grandparents opportunities to spend more quality time with their grandchildren and gives families an opportunity to work together and to help each other on a day-to-day basis. 

I honestly loved it when Robbie's little brother Lee and their little sister Sabrina lived with us.  I loved coming home from work to a bunch of noise and laughter and stories about their day, with all of us in the kitchen while we cooked dinner together.  It could be stressful at times, but it was wonderful too.  Ashley got to grow up with her Uncle Lee and Aunt Sabrina right there, and they doted on her.  They were like my own little brother and sister and we got along great.

I think we Americans are the only ones who have isolated ourselves from our families.  Most other countries have extended families living together or at least living in the same immediate area.  The Englishman I'm dating has 6 brothers and sisters with 14 nieces and nephews, all living very close to one another.  They are always over at each other's homes.  The children spend as much time with their aunts and uncles and grandparents as they do at their own homes.  They are very close-knit and it's so much fun being in the midst of it.  They squabble and fuss, then kiss and make up quickly.  It's just like "The Waltons" but with a British accent.  :hugegrin:

Yah there has never really ben that kind of relationship with my parents. My family as a whole used to elbe really close. Then my grand mother on my moms side and great grand father died on my dads side and it all fell apart I do miss those family get togethers deep down.

I am seeing a lot of families who are consolidating their households with other family members.  In some ways, this is a wonderful thing.  It gives grandparents opportunities to spend more quality time with their grandchildren and gives families an opportunity to work together and to help each other on a day-to-day basis. 

I honestly loved it when Robbie's little brother Lee and their little sister Sabrina lived with us.  I loved coming home from work to a bunch of noise and laughter and stories about their day, with all of us in the kitchen while we cooked dinner together.  It could be stressful at times, but it was wonderful too.  Ashley got to grow up with her Uncle Lee and Aunt Sabrina right there, and they doted on her.  They were like my own little brother and sister and we got along great.

I think we Americans are the only ones who have isolated ourselves from our families.  Most other countries have extended families living together or at least living in the same immediate area.  The Englishman I'm dating has 6 brothers and sisters with 14 nieces and nephews, all living very close to one another.  They are always over at each other's homes.  The children spend as much time with their aunts and uncles and grandparents as they do at their own homes.  They are very close-knit and it's so much fun being in the midst of it.  They squabble and fuss, then kiss and make up quickly.  It's just like "The Waltons" but with a British accent.  :hugegrin:

Good post. I agree the reuniting of families is not always a bad thing.  As for the economy, we are on a path of no return I'm afraid.  Our national debt has reached such a point that I don't think we could turn it around for decades, if even that.  Now more than ever, the need for prepping is there.  Please do what you can to ring the bell.  I am.  What's often forgotten on most  lists that preppers make, is financial preparations.  With a large Emergency fund and no debt, it's easier to withstand a job loss or career change.  Not easy...just easier.

Good reminder, TSS.  :yes:  It's going to take me a couple of years to recoup all that I lost over the past three years of being in and out of work.  The talk of the "double-dip recession" has me quaking in my boots.  I have a Plan B and even a Plan C, but I had really hoped to be able to stand on my own and to be successful living on my own and building up a nice nest egg.  :(

were winaly got our budget straightend out to alot us batween 50 and 100 bucks a month for preps ow its a matter of where in out limmited amout of space we will put up supplies and how we will organise it. i  will be building 2 car bassed kits one for each vehicle just got to find time to start buying every thing my last two pay checke were for 93 hours. but to get back on subject here if a major step twards turning our economy around is not taken soon we will fall into a depression worse than the 30s more than halpf the population will die off and it will affect the entier world.