WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Machine

Day Packs

I am kind of looking to get a new day pack. I was looking at the Camelbak Motherlode. Has anyone seen it?  It holds a good amount of water and a decent load.  Any thoughts?  Anyone have any other suggestions?  I have a North Face Recon right now. It is getting old. 

I have a deuter futura pack

It can hold a variety of camelback water bladders, so you don't have to pay for name brand prices ( I think I have a "hydrapack" bladder, have you ever heard of it... I hadn't) and depending on what size of pack you get, you get a lot of space.

It has a nice waterproof cover to pull over it (or over you) when it starts to rain.

Now, if you happen to break a sweat when you are on the trail, one nice feature with this series of bags is that it has a mesh against your back that separates your back from the pack by a few inches.  So you get a nice cool breeze on your back you won't overheat quiet as quickly.

Cheers --

Day packs are very important especialy the fit went on a short stroll of late and the pack/strap combo did not work for me at all. First time use of a soon to be for sale/given to some rightfull owner. Back to the trials again.

Guest adrenjunky

I use a Camelbak and wouldn't trade it for anything. I have a smaller one than the Motherlode but my friends over seas use them everyday and think that it is the best out there.

Machine,

If you happen to go for a hydro bladder, and not a full pack, I would recommend Eastpack for a daypack. I have two of these packs and they rock, thou they aren't hydro's. Fully padded back, good support and materials.

Stay away from the Swiss Army packs, they are cheap crap, (surprizingly). My BOB in my truck is a EastPack.

Guest adrenjunky

Thanks for the info.  AJ.  Is this a webstite you have ordered from before? 

Yeah like them alot if you call you will get great customer serv. I think BB does also.

Well, here is an update.  I did get a new pack.  I got the Kelty Redwing.  The reason I went with something else other than the Camelbak.  Simply price versus size.  The Kelty was bigger and cheaper than the Camelbak and still outfitted for hydration.  Plus it was well built and I liked the design. It was a TOUGH choice, I debated a long time! 

I can highly recommend the Berghaus Munro 35, it is a favorite amongst the British Army because it is as tough as nails and it holds enough kit for a winter day hike and if you add a couple of 10 letter side pouches it is possible to use it as a summer bag in its own right for a couple of days.

http://www.berghaus.com/index.asp?bhcd2=1168979736