WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
antagonizer

Finally decided to get my gun license

If yer looking to buy a .22 -- go to websites like this:  http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=197098

And I gotta repeat:  WHATEVER you buy at Bass Pro Shops has lots of dollars added to the price compared to Gander Mountain stores for exactly the same gun. 

A nice .22 (autoloader, bolt action, or single shot) can be had for $150 new at Gander Mountain.

DISCLAIMER:  Unca does not own stock in Gander Mountain.  But Unca IS a cheap old fart with fifty guns or more.

One other thing about single shot .22s and some repeaters is that you can shoot .22 shorts in them.   Not as much range or power as a LR, but a .22 short/short HP is quite.   With a short HP my father's bolt action single shot made more noise hitting a hollow tree than shooting it.

P.S. If my faulty memory is correct, a one time record grizzly was killed with a .22 by a Canadian woman.  She shot it 11 times protecting her children.  Also I believe that the bullet of a .22 is almost the same size as a OO buck shot pellet.

Hope I didn't help exacerbate the 22 mag argument/consensus/whatever - I merely pointed out that either is fine for me and the mag gives a bit more downrange power and maybe a tad better trajectory.  I have a couple of those conversion type revolvers that shoot both the magnum and the long rifle, and I can tell you without looking my stock of long rifle ammo is 4 times the amount of magnum loads I keep on hand, for precisely the reason UncaWalt points out - the long rifle is about 25 percent of the cost of the magnum. 

I sometimes do prefer the magnum for a sidearm as it gives me rifle velocity out of the much shorter pistol barrel, but that has to be balanced with my aversion to the ear-splitting crack it leaves behind and the questionable likelihood of needing the slight increase in power for small game?  To be completely honest, I carry the magnum cylinder in a "trail/kit gun" if I'm figuring on snake dispatch as the shell holds about 50% more shot and does the job a bit more cleanly.

I suppose since the original post was about a rifle purchase, I should have stuck to spelling out my rifle tendency which is .22 lr all the way; I stand on my earlier recommendation of either the Ruger 10/22 or Marlin Model 60 depending on your financials, plenty of accuracy in both rifles as well as the ability to put a goodly amount of bullets downrange in a hurry if the need should arise at driveway distances...although UncaWalt makes a valid point for the single shots training you for accuracy, and also reminds us that you aren't likely to stop with one gun, either :) 

So get a .22lr in any action, then explore the others with your 3rd, 4th, and 5th purchases.  We'll have to start another thread entirely to argue (er, I mean discuss) the relative merits of your first big game rifle anyway - I'll whisper softly here that I'd agree with the 30-06, if only I could resist the .30/30 (just can't put that Marlin 336 down).

Steve

Gonna git to be fast friends with SSouther, I see.

I also doped out that Ant appears to be in Switzerland.  YIKES.  Ya gotta be tough to live in Switzerland.

You can tell when it is summer in Switzerland -- the snow gets much greener.  And the only thing there is between Switzerland and the North Pole is a barbed-wire fence.  And THAT is blown down... ;)

Considering the country, a .22 is your best starting gun... and now I understand why you need a license.

One type of gun that has not been mentioned... but sure as hell should be:  SKS/AK type.  I have a couple, including the one I took off the guy that shot me.  The ammo is cheap, available anywhere, and the guns are reliable as can be.  The downside:

Not for mountaintop-to-mountaintop shooting.  Short range (30 meters), but 30 rounds in ten seconds.

I would not use the fargin stock even for firewood.

Here is one of mine:

heartsks.jpg

Actually Walt, I'm Canadian. Not sure where you got Switzerland. Me thinks me english speks goodly. We've got Grizzleys, 800lb black bears, mean rutting moose, chronically pissed off fishers, and (for some strange reason lately) a solid coyote infestation, so safety out in the wild is a factor.

Sadly tho, we need a license to own a firearm and are restricted, to a certain degree, on what or where we can shoot it. Funny when you consider how much 'wild' we have.

I just passed my test today for my F.A.C. and next weekend I'm going for my restricted license which will allow me to own handguns. Acquiring one of those, around here, is going to be a bit tricky since you often don't find them at the local hunting supply.

BTW, I'm not a rich man but ammo cost isn't a big factor for me as versatility. Hence the 22/12 over under I was looking at. Best of both worlds but my concern is if weight will be a problem and if anyone has experience with them.

Not sure if I'd still want a 22/12 anymore - I got quite the price shock last time I looked at shotgun shells; like everything else, they have gone through the roof.  A 12 gauge is very versatile within its range limitations but the ammo is heavy, bulky, and expensive. 

I carried a Stevens in 22/20 ga for a season, ditched it as too heavy the following year (actually swapped it for a Ruger Bearcat - quite pleased).  As I recall, I shot more often with the .22 rifle barrel - took a couple of squirrels with the 20 barrel, but shotgunning for squirrels isn't quite as fun as popping them from twice the distance with the rifle.

Ant, I'd still go with a .22lr for a first rifle - you've hopefully learned to control breathing, maintain sight picture, and provide for follow-through with the bow, so you can expect to be very pleased with your initial results from a quality rifle. 

Grab a 10/22 and don't look back - you'll thank us all for it later, believe me.

Steve

Actually Walt, I'm Canadian. Not sure where you got Switzerland. Me thinks me english speks goodly. We've got Grizzleys, 800lb black bears, mean rutting moose, chronically pissed off fishers, and (for some strange reason lately) a solid coyote infestation, so safety out in the wild is a factor.

Sadly tho, we need a license to own a firearm and are restricted, to a certain degree, on what or where we can shoot it. Funny when you consider how much 'wild' we have.

I just passed my test today for my F.A.C. and next weekend I'm going for my restricted license which will allow me to own handguns. Acquiring one of those, around here, is going to be a bit tricky since you often don't find them at the local hunting supply.

BTW, I'm not a rich man but ammo cost isn't a big factor for me as versatility. Hence the 22/12 over under I was looking at. Best of both worlds but my concern is if weight will be a problem and if anyone has experience with them.

Oh.  In another thread, you were talking about doing sumpin in Switzerland.  So I am wrong AGIN.  (*sigh*)

Regarding an over-under:  Just pussannally, that is the least fave of my guns.  They are HEAVY to aim.  Sorta a bad compromise.

I would recommend getting both the .22 and the 12 Ga.  Both added up will prolly come to LESS money than the gimmick.

Now fer pistols... I gots so many favorites, it is gonna be hard to give you a "quick and dirty".

First:  Small calibre.  My absolute fave small calibre is the Ruger .22/.22Mag.  This is a single-action pistol with lovely sights.  You switch out the cylinders (takes ten seconds) to switch from a cheapy-cheapy .22 plinker to a purty nice small game .22Mag pistol.  I got mine new for $87.50 (still gots the box) about 45 years ago.  The gun is essentially still brand new.  Try to find a nice used one.

Here's mine.  Unfortunately, they cost $700 new now (*choke*)  (*gasp*)l:

80811.JPG  Awright... you cain't afford that.  Then SKIP the .22 calibre step.

Here is my .44 Magnum (it shoots through schools):

44mag.jpg  

That price tag you see... it says, "$399" <-- about as cheap as you will ever see.  Included box and ammo.  This pistol will drop a bear with one shot.

Now for the FUN part!!!!!  NOBODY here has mentioned black powder guns!   Well, Pilgrim, letcher Unca Walt he'p you out.  You will LOVE BP!!!

How do I know?  'Cause everybody does!  My very best fave is my .58 cal Big Boar sidelock.  That sucker kills, skins, and cooks a deer with one shot.  It shoots mortar rounds.  Lookit a comparison betwixt a fired 30.06 (BIG calibre) and a fired .58.  Both of these slugs were removed from dead deer:

583006.jpg

Yes... that cannonball is over an INCH ACROSS! after hitting the deer.  Crikey.

You can get a .50 cal black powder rifle kit (easy and fun to make) for $202.49 at Gander Mountain.  Lookit:

402493_M1.jpg

Use Pyrodex rather than black powder.  Use a 209 shotgun primer thingy on your sidelock.  Oh... BP guns are CHEAP.  And pistols, too! You can get a drop-dead, brand new, gorgeous .44 cal revolver at Gander Mountain for $249.  Lookit and drool:

402602_M1.jpg

One mo' thang... YOU CAN HAVE BP FIREARMS MAILED TO YOUR HOUSE!!!  They do NOT count as firearms!  TINS.

That's some great advice. When you think of the 'two guns in one' idea', I guess, it's kind of like picking a laptop with all the bells and whistles. Sure it can do a lot, but it'll weigh 20lbs when it's on your lap.

If what you guys are saying is buy two rifles is the way to go then I'll turn down the 22/12 for now.

As for firearms, Walt, we have to be a bit careful in selection up here. Rifles and shotguns are considered 'non-restricted' so anyone can get one for no reason, but handguns are 'restricted' so in order to own one I would have to be part of some shooting club or it could open a whole world of Big Brother type of scrutiny. Here BP guns are considered 'non-restricted' as well so, although I can own one, It still falls under federal laws.

I am a fan of the .44 cal tho. It's unique enough to justify as a 'sport' rather than a defense weapon so I'd think it wouldn't get the same kind of scrutiny as, say a semi.

Do you know if any of these American companies will ship north? After that, I guess it's just a matter of ensuring I don't lose my new tool at the border.

Bro...

I know a good way to find out if a company like Gander Mountain can ship black powder toys to Canuckistan.  Jus' axe 'em on the 800 number.

BTW:  One thing of importance.  Do NOT get a BP rifle that shoots balls.  Get one that shoots slugs.  More akkarit, easier by an order of magnitude to load***, and actually cheaper.

***Slug-throwers do not need grease, patches, and alla that crapola.

All BP pistols (axe about them, too!!! for shipping to White Wonderland) shoot ball ammo.  No prob wiv dat, since pistols do NOT require patches.

What part of Canuckistan are you in?

I know the origins of some of the names... for instinks:  Saskatchewan <-- that is a ole injun word... means:  "weather sucks, BIG wampum!"

Decided to do some checking for ya.

Canuckistan has laws that prevent catalog sales DIRECT from the (*ahem*) Land Of The Free.  If you want to buy a black powder gun (of any kind) from, say, Bass Pro Shops (I called them onna phone for ya)...  1-800-227-7776

...You gotta go to a Canuck Gun Store.  They will have the legal juice to get you your gun.  Taint anything to do with Bass Pro... it's the laws up there.

We have Canadians here Walt from Canada.    :nop:    I live in Illinois and we have to buy a firearm owners permit. If I get a felony or get in a fight with my wife the ATF breaks down the door and takes every gun I own forever.

I'd agree about the utility of the over/under combo, I've used a couple of them.  Sure, it's two guns in one but the weight overshadows its usefulness.  For the same amount or less you should be able to buy two guns.  For purely survival purposes you could buy the single shot rifle and a single shot shotgun for less than the combo--especially if they're used.  In addition, any money saved could go to ammo.

Now, if you opt for a used firearm there are a few things to look for.  In a firearm, the outward finish isn't as important as the action and bore.  Good, honest wear isn't always a sign of a firearm that has been abused or is worn out, but it does show the need to look for other problems.  Be sure the gun is unloaded first.  Look at the bolt; is it worn on the bearing surfaces? Does the action lock up properly when closed?  Check the bore to look for pitting--especially in the chamber.  A pitted chamber can cause sticky extraction or make it a little hard to seat a round into the chamber.  Get some light down the bore and if you need to, run a patch through to get any loose grime out of there.  On a rifle, look at the rifling to see if it's in good shape.  Check the moving parts of the action, including the safety.  If you aren't sure, get a gunsmith's advice.

Here are some links to different tips on shopping around for a used gun:

http://www.helium.com/items/1167195-used-used-firearm-gun-buying-a-used-firearm

http://www.gunshopfinder.com/articles/buyingusedpump.html

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/guns/shotguns/2007/09/how-buy-used-shotguns

i would not use a 22lr for deer, i cant legally, i use mine for pest control, and small game hunting, i would use 270 for whitetail, 30cal( of any kind) for anything bigger.

a 22 will not get you big game ( not properly anyhow) but it will keep you fed on squirrels and rabbits, and packs incredibly small

Pure awesome! Thanks so much.

Falco, can I borrow that gun in your avatar? lol

Still have 4 weeks before the feds get off of their butts and send me my license. Plenty of time to get my bearings.

We have Canadians here Walt from Canada.    :nop:     I live in Illinois and we have to buy a firearm owners permit. If I get a felony or get in a fight with my wife the ATF breaks down the door and takes every gun I own forever.

Hellfar... I am from Floriduh.  <--  Thass the state that hadda count the chads fourteen times.  In the winter, we ARE Canada. :)

People here ain't all that smart.  We gots a town named Kissimee.  I could never figger out how to pronounce it.  So the Fabled PC and Your Humble Obdn't &tc were driving through KISS-a-me/kis-A-me/kis-a-ME... and since we were hungry, we figgered we could stop in a restaurant and ask while we got lunch.  I pulled up to the drive-in window and said:

"Hi, my wife and I can't seem to be able to figure out how to pronounce this place. Will you tell me where we are and say it very slowly so that I can understand?"

Lady in the window leans out and sez:  "Buuurrrgerrr Kiiiinnnng."

One thing that y'all might find a tad funny.  If you lookit the pic of my Virginia Dragoon...  Wait I'll go get it.

OK.

Now... pretend the box aint there.  Note that the end of the grip is even with the edge of the dining room chair seat... and the end of the barrel is about one inch from the other side of the chair seat.  Go lookit one of yer chairs... That is one long hawg-leg!!

44mag.jpg

I haven't seen one of those in a long time, Walt.  They're nice guns!  The last one I saw was when I was working a little gun and pawn shop in '93 or '94.

YOWZA, bro... they were made only for a short time.  Like I said, each one is unique; no two Dragoons have the same inscription.  Buddy of mine has one that sez:  "Sic Semper Tyrannis".

When I came home with it from a hunting trip to Jaw-juh last year, Herself just rolled her eyes and sighed.  Then she saw the price tag...

...and gave me a great big kissy-poo.  

She'd thought I'd blown about $600 on the sucker.  But she will not fire it.  Her fave is a S&W Model 39 9mm.  Has a kick like a pussycat.

WAY LATE EDIT:  I gotta 'fess up.  Unca is fulluvit.  Well... let's say I believed what a guy tole me.  Turns out all Virginia Dragoons are NOT unique.  Yes, there are multiple phrases on the bottom of the stocks.  But not all are different.  Mine was done for the 1981 Bicentennial of Yorktown.

Falco, can I borrow that gun in your avatar? lol

Still have 4 weeks before the feds get off of their butts and send me my license. Plenty of time to get my bearings.

can if you like......but is a 50cal.

cant hunt with it eaither, and at 17 bucks a shot, is it really affordable?

get a 22lr, i swear by em, good bush gun, and cheap to feed!

can if you like......but is a 50cal.

cant hunt with it eaither, and at 17 bucks a shot, is it really affordable?

get a 22lr, i swear by em, good bush gun, and cheap to feed!

8|

You must blow a whole paycheck in one sitting. damn chum.

Curious, ever do any vids of you shooting it?