WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  

GREAT toy.  I want one.

Military?  BAH!

The film clip carefully shows the thing going over

A.  Nice, DRY terrain.

B.  Even ground.  A straight-vertical two-foot hill (picture a tall roadside curb or a big rock) that a sojer would simply jump up and over would stop this gadget cold.

Further, from a military POV, you make a really, really nice target while zooming around on it, concentrating on staying upright instead of looking at the surrounding terrain for black hats.  On toppa that, didja see the closeup that shows all the tweeny little gears and pulleys and stuff?  Looks like it could simply never be "weaponized".  And... the thing would leave a trail that a half-blind city kid could follow.

Still, I would love one to play on.  NEVER want one in combat.  That's nuts.

Two things I didn't notice in the clip were driving with one hand or how noisy that thing was.  It might be usefull for moving around base, but combat?  Might as well put a bullseye on the driver.

That looks like just an expensive toy.

I'd go with one of these instead from the boys at Howe & Howe...

Or the unmanned version if you wanted to mess someone up...

Agree with all on the "toy" nature of the little one - also someone (Freebirde?) made a good point that the driver/operator is never shown taking both hands off of the controls, so while in a combat situation I would love to be able to travel that fast, I would still yet rather travel at my own present sluggish pace and retain the ability to shoot back at those shooting at me.  Where that thing would be REAL nice is in place of a four wheeler heading to my favorite hunting spots.

The Ripsaw MS1 looks somewhat more capable on the battlefield but suffers from a couple of flaws common to all such ideas - firstly you can't obtain speed and mobility without sacrificing strength and durability - the M1 Abrams being one of the very few exceptions to this rule.  If the vehicle is as light and maneuverable as claimed, it's going to be rather easy to take out (a grenade rolled under that skeletony front end will ruin its day for sure).  Secondly, the unmanned version must needs have a remote control operator and signalling system, most of which require line of sight control - look for the kiddy with the controller and a .22 solves the problem, or even electronic jamming. 

These are expensive robots which are a step up from the Robo-Wars, indeed, but easy enough to defeat with normal weaponry and tactics, and unable to think or command themselves - I fear a guy with a gun a lot more.  Throw enough of these at me and I will grant you I have to waste some time getting around/through them but there's other more cost effective ways of doing that too.

Wait for the rip saw to top a barrier and shoot the underbelly with a 40 mm HE or WP.  Or go very low tech and place a leaning metal pole for it to impale itself or turn turtle.  Center of gravity too high for good stability.

Those videos are of the prototype.  They later added composite armor under, around and on top.  The control vehical is modified M113 Armored Personel Carrier  It is not designed as a replacement for the M1 Abrams, but as a high speed (60mph vs 42mph on the M1Abrams) rugged recon, charge in, take out stuff without risking lives machine.  M240 machine gun is mounted on top just for fun and the production cost of the MS1 is shown at $250,000 - relatively cheap when compared to the $6.21 million cost per unit on the M1.

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fiction-News.asp?NewsNum=2295

Those videos are of the prototype.  They later added composite armor under, around and on top.  The control vehical is modified M113 Armored Personel Carrier  It is not designed as a replacement for the M1 Abrams, but as a high speed (60mph vs 42mph on the M1Abrams) rugged recon, charge in, take out stuff without risking lives machine.  M240 machine gun is mounted on top just for fun and the production cost of the MS1 is shown at $250,000 - relatively cheap when compared to the $6.21 million cost per unit on the M1.

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fiction-News.asp?NewsNum=2295

Sounds much better - I mentioned the Abrams because I loved watching 'em in action in '91 - 42 mph with fire-on-the-fly at a range of 12k when the bad guys were crawling along at 25-30 with a range of 6-7k and having to stop to fire - it was a slaughter, not a war.  And truthfully, if you are pressed to go to war, that's actually the best way to go about it.  I read somewhere that total Iraqi casualties topped out at around 160,000 versus less than 1000 for our guys and the coalition forces - (and our frontline hospital only evac'd/treated 85 or so throughout the entire conflict, so if you have to fight, it's best to win decisively.

Okay, I'm a fan of the 113 series APCs as well, although they caught a lot of flack when first deployed (no pun intended) - mostly because the gun platform couldn't "kick and follow" a MIG or other fast mover at low altitude.  Other than that (which isn't their primary role anyway), the made great command and control vehicles, as well as fairly effective tank killers (death by wire and all that stuff).

Using an APC to control a faster remote probably a good idea - with the additional info you provided I could agree with some useful functions for the Ripsaw now.

I stand corrected, (and I really saw a use for desert jackrabbit terrorization anyway),

Steve

I love the M1 - it is definitely "The Machine" to have in a fight and reading of and seeing the video of them in action is amazing.  You are correct, it didn't look like much of a battle, but rather target practice at 40mph.  Throw in a couple of A-10's for close in air support, a few SuperCobras along with a some of the other toys and there will be just debris left.

The MS1 looks like it would be a great little addition to that type of party.

Yeah, I could see them in a role of left and right outriders for command and control especially - a nice, (you mentioned armored now) fast moving, lightly armed "chaser" linked to the tank crews/APCs to redirect forces as needed, and be able to provide cover and pickup duties for a disabled crew.

Sort of like a ground based A-10 (you could even have a go at mounting something a bit heavier armament wise as well (chain gun comes to mind).

Kinda reminded me of something I saw back in the 80s - a guy had skeletonized a jeep wrangler type vehicle and added bolt on seats to the roof, both sides front and back and one in hood center, with little signs labeling them all as Rabbit Hunter #1 through#5.  I could see the ripsaw careening through some Southwest state with a bunch of camo'd riflemen sitting all over it blasting at the jacks as well.

Wish I had a picture of that jeep, I did take one but it probably ended up in a box that remained with the ex, along with tons of other stuff including my 30-30, and Ithaca 66, and Normie Schwarzkopf boots, and matched set of Bokers, and I'll stop there since I'm not mad about it ;)

(after all, it's been 15 years, I hardly remember all that stuff, especially the Toshiba shortwave and Quasar component stereo system).

Some guys brought up a couple of those to the lake we fish in Sask. (Amisk) They got over the rapids in the river that feeds the lake. The only other way is to portage around the falls. They got some good fishin for sure.

http://www.fishing-in-saskatchewan.com/lake-details.asp?lakeid=1001761

http://www.fishing-in-saskatchewan.com/outfitter-details.asp?outfitterid=83942

Some guys brought up a couple of those to the lake we fish in Sask. (Amisk) They got over the rapids in the river that feeds the lake. The only other way is to portage around the falls. They got some good fishin for sure.

http://www.fishing-in-saskatchewan.com/lake-details.asp?lakeid=1001761

http://www.fishing-in-saskatchewan.com/outfitter-details.asp?outfitterid=83942

I have got to ice fish Alberta, but I would really like to make a trip like you guys make up to Saskatchewan. Man that looks like a great trip.

You might be able to find a surplus one. I know a guy who got one, but his isn't the camper. But could be converted into one