WildSurvive Forum
taken by the wind...

A Thousand uses for a STICK

It looks like Rocky has been busy at the office. They told him not to be looking out of the window in the mornings because then they wouldnt have any thing for him to do in the afternoon.  :P

Swede likes to have a stick when "hurting" cattle! :P

HOOSIER BOVINE!

We had Holsteins...you really couldn't hurt them with a stick, just encourage them to go where you wanted them to.

5 sticks, 1 carved into a ball and you have a game of cricket

Wouldn't it be kinda difficult to pitch the ball to yourself, run FASTER than the ball, pick up the bat, hit the ball you pitched, run to (your base?), retrieve the ball you hit, and then throw it at yourself? :P

:nono: I take it you're not familiar with the game.

I shoot cricket, that's about it. I gotta little bb gun and I crawl around the house like a sniper poppin a cap in those little bastids! :P That's the cricket I know how to play!

chirp chirp chirp pop chr.......p

Uh no, don't know a damn thing about the game. How could you tell Matt??? :)

Well...my walking "stick" is somewhat of a multi-tool. I use it to check the ground in front of me when near the edge of bluffs where debris can build up on top of crevices. I use it to stick in the ground for a "foothold" when going up or down steep grades. I use it for balance when crossing shallow but very cold creeks in the winter when I have to hop from small rock to small rock. I prop it against trees and use it to hang my pack on when I take a break. I use it to break dead branches well above my head when I need them for kindling. I hold it vertically in front of me when walking at night to keep from getting spider webs (and spiders) on my face.

Playing my kinda cricket involves holding a beer in one hand at all times.

Rules are simple: You have three 'sticks' stuck in the ground at each end of the pitch, these are called the wickets.

Someone bowls to you and you have to try and hit the ball then run to the other end (without spilling the brew) before they can hit the wickets with the ball.

Each time you get to the other end it's called a run.

If you get caught on the full you're out, also if you hit the ball over the fence you get 6 runs but you're also out.

The game ends when an argument breaks out over someone claiming they made it to the other end before the ball hit the wickets, or someone not wanting to jump the fence to get the ball, or you're simply incapable of playing at which point you jump in a little inflatable pool and continue to consume more booze.

Playing my kinda cricket involves holding a beer in one hand at all times.

Rules are simple: You have three 'sticks' stuck in the ground at each end of the pitch, these are called the wickets.

Someone bowls to you and you have to try and hit the ball then run to the other end (without spilling the brew) before they can hit the wickets with the ball.

Each time you get to the other end it's called a run.

If you get caught on the full you're out, also if you hit the ball over the fence you get 6 runs but you're also out.

The game ends when an argument breaks out over someone claiming they made it to the other end before the ball hit the wickets, or someone not wanting to jump the fence to get the ball, or you're simply incapable of playing at which point you jump in a little inflatable pool and continue to consume more booze.

What happens when you spill your brew??? I'm sure there's a stiff penalty for that! 30 whacks with a cricket wicket?

~ well, I recently found out you can entertain an Australian shepherd/ retriever mix with a stick for hours...  or until she dies of sheer exhaustion (which ever comes first)...

However you can only entertain a Siberian Husky with a stick for ten seconds... :glare: he'll chase it with absolute gusto, then as soon as he realizes it's not something to eat, he leaves it alone, and comes bounding back to you to see if you have anything else you want him to check out for edibility. :P

You can build a bridge with sticks...

bridge.jpg

~ I can't help but wonder...  if you know a Big Bad Wolf is coming for you, and he's got to cross the river to get to your house, would it be better to build your bridge out of straw, sticks, or bricks?  :unsure:

Oh Taken reminded me of one---------- broom stick.  :P

The most appropriate means of transportation for ones mother-in-law?

~ (sweep, sweep, sweep)  remember when I used to have to hide from the "Preacher" on the Les Stroud site?  :rofl:

That was one of the good ones.  :rofll:

What happens when you spill your brew??? I'm sure there's a stiff penalty for that! 30 whacks with a cricket wicket?

They ride a mini bike onto the pitch and take you out:

cricket.jpg

By null at 2010-10-13

~ well, I recently found out you can entertain an Australian shepherd/ retriever mix with a stick for hours...

I can vouch for that, I have an Australian shepherd.

042il.jpg

By null at 2010-10-13

Oh and the whole uses for a stick thing errrr....Teepee!

~ I can't help but wonder...  if you know a Big Bad Wolf is coming for you, and he's got to cross the river to get to your house, would it be better to build your bridge out of straw, sticks, or bricks?  :unsure:

Uh, this one does not compute....I AM the biggest baddest wolf...... :whistle:

And to quote a famous movie quote...

"Bridges, we don't have no bridges, we don't need NO bridges, I don't have to show you any STEENKIN BRIDGES!"

~end quote

I use to chuck rocks with a stick like playing lacrosse.  I'd get a small fork at the top and put my sock over it to act as a pouch. then fling that sucker!! :tomato: