WildSurvive Forum
taken by the wind...

A Thousand uses for a STICK

With a forked stick you can divine water underground! :thumbsup:

Mine detector. :scared:

Did anyone mention a raft yet?? :huh:

Tent pegs.

Split a small green stick to make clothespins.

For wrangling snakes away from the camp. :yes:

Put cloth around the end of a stick and light it and you can chase monsters with the rest of the villagers! scared011.gif

With a forked stick you can divine water underground! :thumbsup:

Mine detector. :scared:

Did anyone mention a raft yet?? :huh:

Tent pegs.

Split a small green stick to make clothespins.

For wrangling snakes away from the camp. :yes:

Put cloth around the end of a stick and light it and you can chase monsters with the rest of the villagers! scared011.gif

~ Brilliant ideas Dark Squirrel....   :arigato:  (you make me smile!)  :kiss:

I resemble that remark.    The local villagers found out I don't chase that well and it's NO fun to catch me.

It's interesting, but I just read a study on our education system that used this as an example. They took 100 kids and tested them at different points in their lives asking them to write down as many different things they could make with a paper clip. At 8 yrs, they easily came up with over 100 but by the time they hit 18, the average person could only come up with 25.

The thing they couldn't grasp at 18 was that no rules were given about the paperclip, and that it could be 100 feet tall and made out of rubber.

I was just wondering how many people visualized the stick as being around 6 feet long with a diameter of roughly 6-10 inches and made out of wood?

Weathervane.

When it is wet, it's raining, when it falls over, the wind is blowing.  When you can't see it under the snow... it has snowed... you get the idea. ;)

It's interesting, but I just read a study on our education system that used this as an example. They took 100 kids and tested them at different points in their lives asking them to write down as many different things they could make with a paper clip. At 8 yrs, they easily came up with over 100 but by the time they hit 18, the average person could only come up with 25.

The thing they couldn't grasp at 18 was that no rules were given about the paperclip, and that it could be 100 feet tall and made out of rubber.

I was just wondering how many people visualized the stick as being around 6 feet long with a diameter of roughly 6-10 inches and made out of wood?

Now THERE is a point.

A Physical Chemistry professor (Phys Chem is the hardest subject in the fargin world, BTW) asked students to come up with how many drops of water it would take to fill a 1600 gallon pool.

Everybody started figuring like mad.  One student paused, wrote down:

"ONE... if it is large enough."

If you have a giant stick (I'm not sure the threshold of when a stick becomes a "log") you can entertain an entire village and a whole weekend of festivities.......with just a giant stick........

Guess you'll have to watch, hard to explain.....

So...one more use.....

A nice long stick is very useful to poke at what might be a fake rubber snake geocache...when the fake snake geocache slithers off, you will be glad you opted for the stick.

Is anyone keeping count to see if we can get to 1,000?

You can put a very large stick straight up in the air and carve intricate symbols and images into the surface to tell stories or family lineages or cultural beliefs. :arigato:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0INRfxA7Bq-rgG28Osi2weheU9kht2qyeuKrwbZU3mkUytsw&t=1&usg=__OMH07uGfdnd5DF_s86-VGyG6txk=

A flat stick and a little paracord or vine and you can make a bullroarer. It's an ancient musical instrument and means of communicating that could be heard over great distances. It dates back to the Paleolithic period, around 17,000 B.C. It is found in Europe, Asia, the Indian sub-continent, Africa, the Americas, and Australia.

158px-BullRoarerApache1892.jpg

If you have a giant stick (I'm not sure the threshold of when a stick becomes a "log") you can entertain an entire village and a whole weekend of festivities.......with just a giant stick........

Guess you'll have to watch, hard to explain.....

So...one more use.....

~ Wow....    :unsure:  Those guys seem to be swarming around that giant log with almost an inappropriate enthusiam....  (I don't know how else to put it.)  :whistle:    A bunch of guys who get together every 6-7 years to ride the giant Log?  happy061.gif

It would've been cool if they had jumped on that bad boy and really Rode it down the ENTIRE hill...  but they obviously are afraid of it. I mean...  They have ROPES tied to it.... trying to hold it "back"....  riding it only for what looked like a mere fifteen feet before they were making it STOP!    scared011.gif

I mean, if you're gonna choose to ride the damn thing, then get on it and RIDE it!  Don't attempt to slow it down, or force it to stop because you're scared of what might happen!  Just stay on it, and keep up with it,  and don't EVER relax your grip on it until it comes to a complete stop.

You can't tame a giant log that's sliding downhill, you can either stand back and admire it, or jump on it and enjoy the ride... come what may.  cool14.gif

~ You can take some interesting looking longer sticks (branches)....  tie them together with natural twine, and make a natural garden trellis. Add some tiny white lights to it, and it becomes a magical element to your garden, or landscape.  :hugegrin:

(that's a bit of garden witchery for you survival guys...)

Imbue Natural elements that are sacred to you... to watch over your dwelling while you are away. The things in nature that you have always been drawn to are naturally, the most powerful.  :thumbup:

Never underestimate the Power of the Elements (of Nature) to repell that which might harm you. (especially if Nature knows your spirit, and welcomes your presence) :arigato:

All Hunters included (and this may come as a surprise to many...  the spirit of Nature honors the spirit of the Hunter, and she sees this spirit as kindred.)

Hunters have a reverence for Nature and for living creatures that the Supermarket Butcher shop cannot touch. 

Call upon Nature, and she will protect your dwelling, and those within.