WildSurvive Forum

I am so tired of hearing on the news about people who are advid hikers getting lost without supplys I think they have it can't happen to me syndrom,hiking without supplys is like playing hockey without a stick or baseball without a glove it your equipment any thoughts  :hmm:

I watch these shows like I shouldnt be alive. I think "you got that right" It is unbelievable how people can go out into the wilderness so unprepared and make so many mistakes. Their right they shouldnt be alive.

That brings me to remember and remind others that after all is learned and done in the end it all comes down to dumb luck sometimes.

Can't begin to imagine ever being so unprepared - I have tried numerous times over the years to pare down my daily gear, but even for a short walk in easy terrain that I've walked literally hundreds of times, I still carry a quart of water, some raingear, and a knife, along with either a radio or cellphone and a few survival items stuffed in my wallet (bandaids, little tiny fishing kit, signal mirror, plastic bag).

For that matter, I don't leave the house to go to work without a lighter, a pocketknife, and the stuff in the wallet - may not be the best prepared but it doesn't take any prep time to be at least a little ready.

I completely agree, SG.  Many people get themselves into situations out of pure stupidity and even after they end up there, they don't stop to think, assess the situation, see what they have and come up with a plan to deal with the situation the best way they can with what they have.

I never go anywhere without at least a pocket knife with me.  If I am planning a hike, at minimum, I take my fanny pack with some basic supplies, water, etc.  Even just going out for a walk in the woods, I hook my SRK on my belt with the small pack (similar to the one Swede showed on another thread) with a fire starter, matches, paracord and other stuff I might need.

Be prepared!!!!

Even if you carry just the basics. Then if you have to spend the night outdoors some where you'll do it in some comfort both physically and mentally.

I don't get it either. Even when in the tow truck I carry supplies I have a canteen and canteen cup and an ammo pouch. ( Thank you sgh) in the ammo pouch is things like fire starting tools snair making tools a fishing kit a space blanket. I also keep my lunch box over filled with food like odwalla bars and drinks. I recently bought a nite ize pouch to hold my leather man and flash light in its still got a lot of room so I plan to keep additional supplies in it like my smiths pocket sharpener a space blanket a pill fob for additional tinder I haven't fully desided what I'm gnna put in it yet ill up date you all when I get it done with some pictures 

I recently bought a nite ize pouch to hold my leather man and flash light in its still got a lot of room so I plan to keep additional supplies in it like my smiths pocket sharpener a space blanket a pill fob for additional tinder I haven't fully desided what I'm gnna put in it yet ill up date you all when I get it done with some pictures 

I also have one of those, came with my leatherman. Make sure you post your setup.

im always prepped.

a small PSK, a good knife, a flint and steel

this is a minimum, i mean its always on me, now i cant bring any of it to training with me, damnit!

im gonna sneak a multi tool somewhere.......( holly dont even bother commenting ideas where)

We had a hiker on Pine Mountain Trail cut his foot real bad and ended up spending the night on the mountain. He could not walk. Just goes to show even a quick trip can end up bad. He had no way of telling his location and he had no cell phone service either.

perfect example rihgt there.

cut/twist and ankle.........lose your map........get lost temporarily, any of those might not be life threatening at the time.....but holy crap what a discomforting situation

Great topic, Kim!  :thumbsup:

Some people might laugh at me for carrying so much stuff in my purse or even in my car, but those are the same people who benefit when they get hurt and need a bandage or if they forgot their can opener and need my SAK to open their can of ravioli.  :grin:

I like knowing that if anything happens to me while I am out on the trails, I might be a little bit scared or anxious, but I will be warm, dry, and well-fed until help comes along.  :yes:

im always prepped.

a small PSK, a good knife, a flint and steel

this is a minimum, i mean its always on me, now i cant bring any of it to training with me, damnit!

im gonna sneak a multi tool somewhere.......( holly dont even bother commenting ideas where)

:rofl:  Yeah, right!  As if the military hasn't seen every hiding place a person could think of!  :P

i should have no prob with the multi tool, but no flint....arghhhhh

kinda feelin naked without it

i should have no prob with the multi tool, but no flint....arghhhhh

kinda feelin naked without it

uhhh...yeah...don't be postin' pictures, Falco...

I do sometimes travel light, I don't always have a full on kit for day hikes in familiar areas. But I always have a water bottle or canteen, and I never leave home without my SAK, small flashlight, and cotton bandanna in a cargo pocket, almost always a small fixed blade on my belt, a nanostriker on my key chain, and usually the ESEE fire starter with chemical tinder and compass goes in my pocket or around my neck as soon as I step out of the truck. I try to always remember my small FAK...but sometimes forget.

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the SL3 knife because I don't have to carry a separate fire making kit or whistle when I've got it.  The Expedition watch is pretty cool (thanks to my honey for the nice Christmas gift) since it has a compass built into it.  So those two items cover 5 essentials of the ten on my list.  Sling a bota bag or other water bottle over my shoulder and most minor day to day stuff is covered, so sometimes that's all I carry.

Add a milspec poncho to this kit and I'll go anywhere that my old knees can actually take me without too many worries. 

Just as a side note, I can remember my mom always carried one of those silly little emergency ponchos in her purse along with a tiny little set of folding scissors; she got a lot of use out of both.  She also had a miniature Swiss Army Knife that her brother gave her - it was presented to him by the company he worked for and she has now given it to me, so it sits in my left trouser pocket daily with a bandanna, and a little bic lighter in the right one. 

MtnMan, it means a lot to carry something that was carried by our parents or grandparents through many adventures and scary times.  :yes:  My dad has a little pocketknife that his grandfather carried through the first World War.  Then it was given to my dad's father who carried it through the Great Depression and the second World War.  And my dad carried it through his entire Naval career for 20 years.  He will probably pass it on to my brother who will have all the stories behind it to tell his sons. 

Sometimes, all you need is a little pocketknife and a lot of faith to get you through the toughest times in your life. 

I am a gear pig. I've tried going ultra light and I've been miserable. Lesson learned, I'll haul the extra bulk and weight if it means staying warm and dry. 

All I go is ultra light.  Everything in my pack is individually weighed to ensure I stay around 20lbs.  For me lighter is better as I can go further and move faster but if I need to pack a little bulk for creature comfort items I will though.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

With my basic knowledge of survivle I carry just enough gear to keep my self confident in surviving.I do need to re think my edc supplies a little and re think how i$ storing my kit that I keep in the tow truck wich is actualy my main kit. Also need to make a bag forthe blazer.... So much supplies to gather so little money

A knifeless man is a lifeless man.

People that do this really  :reallymad: me off!  If something happens to them...oh well, but what bothers me is the people they put in harms way that come to look for them because of their ignorance.