WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
oldfatguy

Mt. St. Helens

thats my Mountain I've been there a week before she blew up she is beautiful  :grin:

I love that area, SG.  I can't wait until I have the chance to visit the area again.

Amazing stuff Fat Guy. Looks pretty cold. We have a web cam thread around here some place.  :/

~ OFG.....  that mountain in the background of your avatar looks awful similar. Is it the same?  :unsure:

One and the same, Taken.  I have been there a couple of times and can't wait to make it back again.  Last time I was there I stayed in the park and worked repairing trails and removing switchbroom.

One and the same, Taken.  I have been there a couple of times and can't wait to make it back again.  Last time I was there I stayed in the park and worked repairing trails and removing switchbroom.

~ What is switchbroom?  Please don't tell me it's related to witch broom....  :unsure:

~ What is switchbroom?  Please don't tell me it's related to witch broom....   :unsure:

Sorry, I meant Scotch Broom.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/redw/scotchbr.htm

After the eruption in 1980, the entire area was pretty much santitized - everything was wiped out. When the DOT rebuilt the road to Johnson Ridge, the DOT had the bright idea to bring in some ground cover to keep their work from washing away. They planted Scotch Broom (Cytisus scoparius), which is a very aggressive ground cover plant brought in from Southern Europe and Africa.  Problem is, it is not native to the area, so as the natural recovery process kicked and the native plants began to repopulate the area, the Scotch Broom was already established, so it competes with the native plants.  We went to an area and pulled out Scotch Broom, laying it roots up so it would die off, making room for the native plants to grow.

I love that area and had the opportunity to visit once.  I believe it was the 20th anniversary of the eruption.  I lived in Washington for a little over a year when I was stationed there and really love the area.  It is an amazing view and reminder how powerful the earth can be.

Lol sorry I should have been more clear when I visited, the only opportunity I had to visit was the 20th anniversary in 2000

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

It was steaming most of the day, SG.  It is still active and I would guess pushing up under the lava dome.  Nothing dramatic like a couple of years ago when it pushed up that finback, but still at it.

I was going to visit some cousins that lived in Castle Rock, Washington on two occasions.  The first trip was canceled because of flooding.  The second was cancelled because Mt. St. Helen went off.  No, I am not planning to visit again.  Just don't say it's all my fault.

Being a total city girl, it amazes me to think that the earth is still growing and there are still active volcanoes right here in the United States.  I get so desensitized being in the city all the time, I sometimes forget that there is a lot of country out there that is still wild and untamed.  I need to get out more.  :grin: