WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lead Dog

Non-Canine Hiking Companions

Guest Lead Dog

Does anyone here hike into the wilds with anything other than dogs?  Anyone have horses or llamas or whatever?

Guest taken by the wind...

~ I have a Leopard Geko...    :unsure:  I took him outside once or twiice... does that count?

Guest Lead Dog

Um... yeah, sure it counts.  ???

Guest Lead Dog

LOST, that is very cool.  How is a horse camp different from another?  What special gear did you use?  Did you have one horse carry all the camping gear and food?  Any pics?

I took a few overnight horseback trips when I was stationed in Arizona.  We had mules that carried food and gear.  We even brought supplies out to gold miners in the middle of the desert.  I'll try to post some pics later.

Oh boy - I just typed out a story and lost it when I was kicked out. I'll do it up tomorrow.

Try this again.

I rode western of course so there were plenty of places to fasten down gear.  Just like in the cowboy movies, I had a tarp and two blankets tied to the back of the saddle.  In saddle bags, one side contained grain (horse feed) in a plastic bag, and the other side carried my food.  Lots of baked beans, a can opener, crackers, and other misc. things that would not go bad.  I would stay out long enough to be able to resupply goods for both the horse and myself.  You would be surprised how many farms you can ride into and buy about 20 pounds of grain.  Sleeping arrangements were simple.  I laid on the ground.  I tried to find grass or tall weed beds.  Push the tall weeds over they make great bedding.  I carried two lead lines for the horse and always kept his halter on under his bridle as a means of control.  I would tie him out between two trees with enough movement to lay down; also far enough away from me so he could not step on me.  I carried a separate small bag with a hoof pick, brush, curry comb, and some first aid horse supplies, etc.   I carried clothing changes, especially socks and under garments.

When near clean swift moving water I would wash my clothes and take off all the horse gear to let it sit out to dry, especially his saddle blanket.

Totally roughed it!  What a great time though.  The places I use to ride are now covered in new roads and housing developments.  A day gone by.