WildSurvive Forum
Rockhounder

Weather (WX) Q & A:

I thought I'd start a topic about weather or WX for short (so you all are in the "know"). I've forecasted weather for nearly a third of my life and have practiced wx forecasting in all three cells of the earth (tropical, mid latitude & polar) while in the navy. I wanted to share some of that knowledge here in a fun "participation" sort of way.

So I took a sentence out of the local forecast discussion in my region:

MOIST  ZONAL FLOW WILL CONTINUE A CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION ACROSS THE    REGION INTO FRIDAY ...

What is "ZONAL FLOW"? What is another type of "flow" and what is a good example of ZONAL FLOW?

Also, ANYBODY can post up thier weather knowledge too. Also ANYONE can post up a question or answer a question for that matter.

Rocks and WX, my two FAVORITE subjects! How geeky is THAT???

But...but...I thought Taken and I were your two favorite subjects, Rocky!  You are so totally FIRED! :nop:

Zonal Flow is the general flow pattern is west to east, or east to west, along the Earth's latitude lines. Such winds tend to establish a pattern with small temperature contrasts from north to south.

Zonal flow also brings relatively mild, dry Pacific air across the country. The lack of strong temperature contrasts tends to keep the weather calm because such contrasts supply the energy for storms.

Meridional flow is the general flow pattern is north to south, or south to north, along the Earth's longitude lines, This pattern is responsible for most instances of extreme weather, as not only are storms stronger in this type of flow regime, but temperatures can reach extremes as well, producing heat waves and cold waves depending on the equator-ward or poleward direction of the flow.

But...but...I thought Taken and I were your two favorite subjects, Rocky! 

YOU guys ARE! But, that's in the "heard any good ones lately" thread???

You nailed it Tatonka. A good example of Zonal Flow is the infamous "Pineapple Express".

PineappleExpress.gif

Yes I just experienced the pineapple express here a couple of weeks ago here. And the rest of Alaska got it after me. Made a mess of things up here.

I should let others do this though. Being a stormspotter for the NWS gives me a edge on this. Weather is a subject I really like.

Sorry we messed up your excellent topic, Rocky...:blush:

Smart-@zzisms are certainly welcome in any thread!

Like the sign I have in my office that reads:

"Sexual Harrassment will NOT be tolerated, however, it WILL be graded."

Smart-@zzisms are certainly welcome in any thread!

Like the sign I have in my office that reads:

"Sexual Harrassment will NOT be tolerated, however, it WILL be graded."

I like that Rocky!  The sign in my office was targeted directly at the sales staff:

"You want it WHEN?!"

That, and another that states, "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part..."

There's a website we look at to help us with keeping our listeners in the loop on the weather, it's www.kentuckyweathercenter.com

There's a mission statement too on the wall, it reads:

"We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little; We are now qualified to do anything, with nothing."

Oh, BTW, I plan on posting up a weather topic at least once a week, so we can have playtime in between topics!

That, and another that states, "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part..."

Ahhh yes, which leads to the 7 P's of life:

Proper Previous Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

I had one of my jr engineers say this to me when I asked about a report: He cocked his head and said "Did ya hear that? It sounded like a deadline just "whooshing by"! I said, "Did you hear that? It sounded like your head rolling, no wait, BOUNCING, down a flight of stairs!"

Hey there rockersnapper. I like that sayin' beneath your picture. That's what I used to say to my fourth husband when I was ready for sex.

I have a question about weather. If a man is in a forest with nobody else around, and he has no laptop or no Droid or Blackberry or any way to talk to anybody...  Does the weather even exist?

Hey there rockersnapper. I like that sayin' beneath your picture. That's what I used to say to my fourth husband when I was ready for sex.

I have a question about weather. If a man is in a forest with nobody else around, and he has no laptop or no Droid or Blackberry or any way to talk to anybody...  Does the weather even exist?

LOL! Well, that's what I say to my kids when I pick them up from school everyday. Now if a friend comes home with them, they'll say it to thier friend before they get in the car. I'll hear them whisper..."Just get in, sit down, shut up and hang on. I can see the friend in the rear view mirror 8|

Oh, and weather is ALWAYS present, whether us feeble humans are or not.

Today's weather is Van Halen (Roth not Hagar).

I admit that at first I wasn't sure about Van Hagar, but I got to liking it.  Still, I can't imagine "Running With the Devil" without David Lee Roth.

Rocky, I have a question about the different models forecasters use.  I've heard of the "European Model", "Canadian Model", and others.  I've always assumed the main differences are in given or assumed values calculated into them, but is that right?

Rocky, I have a question about the different models forecasters use.  I've heard of the "European Model", "Canadian Model", and others.  I've always assumed the main differences are in given or assumed values calculated into them, but is that right?

The different models are that particular countries (UE for example uses the Euro Model) models that have been developed by what ever regulatory agency (NOAA in the US) adopted them. But they can be used interchangebly. For example, some forecasters in Buffalo, NY would prefer the Canadian model and some will use the US models (there are several). Each model is driven by slightly different algorithmic variations depending on topography. For example, the EURO model will weigh heavily on oceanic influence because of the relative narrow nature of the continent being surrounded by seas/oceans, whereas the Asian model will rely numerically on land mass deviations. Land heats and cools much quicker than water, so the math running the models are slightly different to adjust for the higher adiabatic heating and cooling.