WildSurvive Forum
Rockhounder

Weather (WX) Q & A:

The Williwaw refers to an ancient Native American legend about a magical wind that appeared to certain mountain-dwelling tribes located in the Strait of Magellan and on the Aleutian islands, but only in times of great need.  The shaman of the tribe would cleanse himself thoroughly, then go into his medicine tipi to fast and to pray to the Great Spirit for the Williwaw winds to come to scatter the forces of their enemies, to blow sickness away from their camp, or to divert the flow of flooding rivers in the springtime.

According to the legend, after the third day, the women of the tribe would prepare a special dish for the shaman to eat after his fasting and praying were complete.  The shaman ate this special dish made primarily of bran, cabbage, broccoli, and several types of beans, then he would lay down in the medicine tent and go to sleep.  

The Great Spirit would fill the bowels of the shaman, causing the shaman's stomach to rise to gigantic proportions.  When the time was right, the shaman would release the Great Spirit's wind in a single moment, and the Williwaw wind would roar out of the medicine tent, flattening anything in its path as it made its way down from the tops of the mountains toward the sea below.

:whistle:

Williwaws are violent squalls blowing off mountainous coasts. They are infamous in the fjord lands of Patagonia, Straits of Magellan

Yep, they occur in the Aleutian chain as well. It's when heavy, dense cold air flows through the canyons and end up as very strong gusty winds in the valley floor or coast. Imagine putting dry ice in water, the fog created spills from the cup or bowl and sinks to the surface, that's sort of a "mini" williwaw winds.

The "type" of wind is called a "katabatic" wind.

Rocky, I have a question about the different models forecasters use.  I've heard of the "European Model", "Canadian Model", and others.  I've always assumed the main differences are in given or assumed values calculated into them, but is that right?

As Rocky there are a number of forecast models around the world. But their data is hard to come by. They all release a 2 runs a day of limited data but because most country's meteorological departments were formed as part of the military they have become reluctant to shear their data  with the public. Also the data has a commercial value for the government so they don't want just anyone getting it for free. 

NOAA are the best at shearing their data, releasing GFS and GEFS data 4 times a day for free. The problem is to view this data to its fullest, someone needs to write the software to generate the charts because NOAA only released views in a limited number of charts for free. So if you want to see charts that uses more of the data you need to find and subscribe to a company that writes their own chart viewing software which is not to hard as NOAA actually make this available by providing the code.

I use GFS data but it is always good to check the other data available as each system has its own traits.

Rocky give us a tutorial On Skew-Ts  please

LOL! Man! You're OLD SCHOOL!!! I haven't done a skew-T log-p since I've used a psycometric calculator! If you're serious though, I'll see what I can come up with. I just remember them being particularly accurate with indicating cloud level (lvl, lcl) and the height of the inversion. In Adak, AK, we had an old, old theodolite we still used for "shooting" cloud heights.

~ Is it the same thing as a super cell?  :blink:  Of COURSE I googled it, but I didnt feel like copying and pasting the info here. But looking at the pictures and remembering Natgeo's special on cyclones...  I kept remembering them talking about super cells being the most powerful T-storms on Earth, and the pictures they showed looked similar to a mesocyclone. 

Here is a good cross section of the workings of a large cumulonimbus (supercell) formation:

tor_formation_lg.jpg

In this picture you can see a mesocyclone that has penetrated beneath precipitation cumulus, and at the bottom right you can see a “finger” trying to break off….this is the “wall cloud” where you’ll usually see tornadoes being “born”.

wallcloud.jpg

Great pictures, Rocky.  I just went through the National Weather Service Weather Spotter Training again last night (first time was back in 2008).  They did a great job updating the information.  I was glad it was not just a repeat of the older class.

Thanks OFG. They did a good job here too with the info. They are experimenting with using "twitter" as a reporting medium, although I haven't used it yet.

They talked about that and facebook last night as well.  I've been a bit frustrated with the program as I emailed in reports of snowfall, ice, hail, rainfall, etc for quite a while and never got any response.  I understand they have a lot of information coming in, but I had no idea if what i was sending in was helpful, a waste of bits or was even making it through.

~ I think that K-Bob should start linking his callers in to Rocky's Forecast website called "Is They Gone Be skool tomorry?"  :P :rofl: :whistle:

Weather is to Rockhounder as viruses are to taken. Absolutely a fascinating and passionate subject to each of them, but few people understand the phenomenon, much less their obsession with it.  :smoke:  We both are fascinated by hunting down predators... yours are Gi-normous, mine are invisible.

Here's my question to you Rockhounder.... WHY are you living in the most boring weather zone on earth?  wacky115.gif

You're a storm chaser, boy....  get out there and start chasing.  cool14.gif  You could be the ONLY storm chaser who does it on a dirt bike.  :thumbsup: :cheers:

Hell, I'd watch THAT show.  :P

NEW on DISCOVERY wednesday night ............. DIRT BIKE STORM CHASER!   cool14.gif

OFG, did you take notes, how does that work?

My mom and I are going to one on the 28th

Watcher - I have notes and have printed out copies of both the Field Spotter's Guide and Advnaced Field Spotter's Guide.  They didn't have handouts last nigt, so used the ones from last time and made notes. 

It is just a presentation on weather, what to look for, what to report, how to report, etc. You then register on their website and they give you a spotter number to use when you call in reports.

You can download the field guides from here - http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dmx/?n=skywarn#Spotter_Training_Resources

You are actually in the area covered by the Quad Cities office, so it might be a bit different.

Love that idea though!!! Dirtbiker storm chaser. With enough protective gear and sensors, hell, I could just ride INTO the tornado! Why run AWAY from it!?!?!

LOL! Man! You're OLD SCHOOL!!! I haven't done a skew-T log-p since I've used a psycometric calculator! If you're serious though, I'll see what I can come up with. I just remember them being particularly accurate with indicating cloud level (lvl, lcl) and the height of the inversion. In Adak, AK, we had an old, old theodolite we still used for "shooting" cloud heights.

I still use Skew Ts for storm forecasting, they are great for seeing the CAPE, CIN and seeing how much Cap there is and what it would take to break the Cap. Its good for seeing what shear there is in the atmosphere.   

Just so everyone knows what Adi and I were talking about, a "Skew T Log P" is a chart that uses rawinsonde (weather balloon) data and depicts the data on a chart to get a vertical profile of the atmosphere and what is "happening" meteorologically. Here is a pic of a "skew T" diagram:

SkewTLogP.gif

The cape and the cin meet and they make luuvvvvvvv. Passion, lightning, atmospheric groiny-cakes and Then....KA-BOOM!!!! 

dammit muddy! you just made me realize that dr pepper hurts WAY more than coke when it comes out your nose!