WildSurvive Forum
Rockhounder

Weather (WX) Q & A:

I hope none of you guys were effected by the tornado outbreak yesterday. 147 Tornado's and over 231 dead not good. I watched most of it unfold on line. The Tuscaloosa tornado was quiet impressive.

~ The wind was kicking  here yesterday (which is unusual), but no storms... they were all just north of here.  I was just watching news footage of Tuscaloosa Alabama, and it was heartbreaking... 

That tornado footage is Epic...  what a monster of a storm!

http://www.cbs42.com/content/localnews/story/Tuscaloosa-tornado-caught-on-tape-wreaking-havoc/hsK7dFmlUku5YlvteTFy6A.cspx

Indeed Taken I spoke to one of the chasers that was on the Tuscaloose, AL last night he was devastated, he reckoned it was on the ground for 2 hours and about a mile across. Another chaser i talked to was on the one that went through Birmingham, AL and he said much the same thing.

Many of the English chasers have arrived in country today. They were shocked to be met by that news. 

~ When you watch the videos of the twister, it looks like there are several vortices inside of that huge tornado...   like a bunch of tight twisters inside of that huge twister. They even swirl off away from it at times....   (when you watch in slow motion) looking like another tornado next to it,  and then they move back into the main funnel cloud.  :dontgetit:

Yes there were some secondary vortices's and some horizontal one. It showed how much shear was in the atmosphere. It is quite common to get two funnels in conjunction with each other. One often wrapping around the other. 

Swede, aka Survivor Guy had posted some questions about cloud formations so I found this neat little chart that might help with cloud identification.

cloudchart.gif

BTW- that was a GREAT find of the tornado pics Adi. Did you see the size of those upward "rollers" that would draft up on the right side and spawn off cloud to cloud vortices??? That was freakin amazing!

We had things from central Alabama, like check stubs and letters, land in people's yards up here. I am still finding fiberglass insulation and vynil siding in odd places on top of the mountain.

~ Looks more like a Breadstick Cloud than a Roll cloud....   

I was thinking it looked somewhat photo-shopped...but I agree. Odd photo!

It's a real photo, Mist, taken in Uruguay.  I have seen similar clouds roll through this area that look like the special effects in "Independence Day".

Around here, it is normally a cold front, with the colder, drier air pushing under the warm moist air, pushing it up and forming the cloud.  If you watch closely, it is not really a cloud moving, but new cloud forming and the warm air lifts.  Plus lots of churning at the boundry line.  Usually a very noticeable wind shift  and temperature drop at ground level just before the cloud comes over.  Thunderstorm to follow shortly.

But if you watch it...it is actually rolling.

~ I've actually SEEN one of those one evening, coming home from work....  it looked like a pencil rolling on a table (in slow motion). The weirdest thing I've ever seen. The top part of the cloud would literally fall down and under. It wasn't over a flat horizontal plane though, so It wasn't as dramatic looking, but still, it was like nothing I had ever see. I tried to get a picture on my phone, but it never did the event any justice. So at least I know what one is, the next time I see it.  :yes:

So.... WHAT causes that kind of cloud?  :unsure:

The one's around here are normally more ragged as the atmosphere is churning.

Gee...I wonder what causes these?  Maybe if I would read through the posts I could find out.~ (I fixed it for you. - rocky)

Actually, I like the "breadstick" cloud. I'm going to write the meteorologic society to see if they will accept that nomenclature.