WildSurvive Forum
oldfatguy

Handgun thoughts

Well, somewhere along the way these last few weeks I managed to find a smaller caliber pistol that really caught my fancy, for numerous reasons.

The SigSauer P-238, Copperhead model came home with me after much deliberation.  Mostly because the most often used controls are identical to my .45, it's shaped like my .45, points like my .45, shoots to the same POI as my .45, and the Copperhead model's color scheme closely resembles my .45 - the two most practical reasons are that my wife can shoot the .380 reasonably well (anything with more recoil than a nine scares her too much), and it rides so easy in my pocket I sometimes don't really even notice it being there.

Yes, it was too expensive, and yes, it's almost too pretty, and yes yes, I consider the .380 a minimum choice caliber, but having said all that, I have already been able to train up with this pistol to fist-sized groups in rapid fire at the same distances as my 1911 because the two guns are so darned alike (I actually rapid fire the little Sig a little more rapidly and achieve the same group size).

I can tell you this - I have never in my life owned a gun with better machining and tolerances - it is an absolute beauty of engineering quality.  I'm through a tad over 500 rounds now, no malfs of any kind, and no noticeable wear or looseness, the fancy little scroll work hasn't even worn thin yet in spite of daily in pocket holster carry.  So far, hands-on experience and lifetime no-questions asked warranty speak well of the little gun.

A final word on the .380 caliber - it's not a .45 by any means, but a 90-95 grain bullet doing an actual (chrono'd) 1076-1096 fps comes out to somewhere in the neighborhood of 240-260 ft lbs of muzzle energy, and that's on a par with upper end .38 special rounds and standard to middle of the road 9mm - if you bother to place it well it will definitely wreck a bad guy's day. 

I've shot nothing but Fiocchi FMJ and HP through it because this ammo has proven reliable in this caliber for years and the HP performs extremely well in all types of ballistic medium.  Penetration is on the order of 10-11 inches and expansion to .53 is commonplace (these figures obtained from "bone-in" hams which were sacrificed as being very near to human torso in terms of muscle and bone mass; similar figures were obtained from modelling clay/wooden stick cubes and also from 10% ordinance mix ballistic gelatin - this last performed by someone else and forwarded to me).  The Fiocchi HP makes a pretty deep and wide hole for a "minimum" protective caliber, and I trust it.

I'll try and get a picture of the little Sig on here later.  And instead of buying another handgun since I now have a matching set of big and little guns, I opted for a Marlin 25A bolt action rifle in .22 magnum with a Mossy Oak finished stock and I went ahead for 30 more bucks and put a set of Williams Fire Sights on it to match my muzzle loader's sighting system.  It had an accurizer trigger job already installed by someone who seems to have known EXACTLY how to do such a thing - this rifle shoots beyond Sweeeeettttt!

So, two handgun look-alikes with similar controls, one smaller, one larger, and two rifles with identical sighting systems for serious work, one smaller, one larger; not a bad spring for the gun department at all.

Time to go do some shootin' - Steve

Sounds like you've found a nice pistol, MtnMan.  I had a Colt Mustang .380 back in the early or mid-90's that I still kick myself for letting get away from me.  I stopped at the gun shop yesterday and gave some serious consideration to the SigSauer P250.  With night sights it's on sale for $425 dollars, and it's got a really good DAO trigger.  On the other hand, he's also got a Sig 1911...

Here's something interesting.  Have you folks given any thought to the possibility of a zombie apocalypse?  If you have (and honestly, who hasn't?) perhaps it's time to start training for those head shots.  We've probably all used the Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-C targets, and now they have a new product:  the Birchwood Casey Darkotic Reactive Splattering Zombie Targets!  :hugegrin:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/74820-1.html?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=74820FacebookSocial04142011

74820.jpg

There are 5 images and two sizes to choose from (although I don't think the large targets have any splatter).  Now, you too can be prepared for the day when the zeds begin roaming your neighborhood in the quest for "Braaaaiiinnnsssssss....!" 

Thought I'd go ahead and post a couple of different views of the little Sig P-238 Copperhead - I actually really didn't buy it for the gold inlay fancy stuff, just loved the color scheme because it's basically the exact opposite of my 1911 clone. 

Anyway, saw something called a Rhino in .357mag revolver - barrel is at the bottom of the cylinders, whole thing is large and blocky feeling, and it has a weird (and very unsafe) "single-action pre-cocking mechanism" which single stages the trigger while yet leaving the hammer down - about 1 lb of trigger squeeze and bang!  I can see someone unfamiliar with this cocking it and putting in in their pocket/holster and having quite the surprise with an inadvertent discharge as the gun is pulled out - there is no safety to prevent these events from being casually strung together.

Anyway, here's my pretty li'l pocket pistol:

P238-Copperhead-Detail-L.jpg.13a2621b0c8cfd9ddfbeaf438f35ea56.jpg

P238-Copperhead-Detail-bty-dwn.jpg.74ebd37788bf460e134410ac551166b5.jpg

Thanks razor, it really is; and the greatest benefit for me is that both of my pistols operate the exact same way as far as draw, cock, sweep down the safety, and squeeze.  Slide release, magazine release also in same locations - I can get serious now about speed drills if I wish, and the skills transfer directly from gun to gun - less thought, less chance of hesitation should the time come when milliseconds count.

Read a cool quote somewhere last week - said basically "I hope you never ever need a gun at all for any reason, but on the day that you find you need a gun, it will be the most desperate moment of need you have ever experienced" or something like that.  Made a lot of sense.

ive always like the saying. beware of the man that owns but one gun...for im sure he knows how to use it. its no secret i love the 1911 design regardless of who makes it. its what im most familiar with. what are the demensions of that pistol, looks perfect carry size. i hope it didnt cost you a kidney or anything. i know sigs can fetch a preety hefty price.

It's a little bigger than the Keltec P-32, but smaller and lighter than the P-11.  Fits in a Desantis pocket holster and rides in my right front pocket every day.  It cost me a Ruger 22/45 plain jane 5.5", a NAA mini revolver, and 59 dollars cash, so for our area that's about 650 or so, and within 35 dollars of the 689 he had it listed for in the case.  I haven't seen one priced less than 639 anywhere else lately, so it was kind of a difficult choice, having shots several boxes of ammo through it I have no regrets.  It shoots and handle great, and the quality is evident throughout.

I call buys like this "gettin' a tad bit above my raisin'" since I'm normally very thrifty - just wanted one supernice little gun for EDC.  It was a tough call between the Smith 637 and this one, but I don't regret taking the plunge or spending the extra $$.

And I know I once said I'd never get rid of my 22/45s, now they're both gone in a period of 6 months!  But I can always buy another Ruger - the price on the Sig would just keep going up until I absolutely couldn't justify it at all.  Besides, I'm kinda liking the little Walther P-22 as much as the Ruger, and I'm shooting it a whole lot better (friend has one), so I may pick one of those up instead, or maybe another RI .45, or....

thats awsome mt. man. i got my kimber custom II the same way. they were going for 700-750 and they had just come out with the newer one with the external extractor. since it was a "last year model" they marked it down to 550. i was standing there looking at guns when he stuck it in the case with the new price. i said are you kidding! bought it on the spot (and i normally dont buy on a whim either) but i had to have it. its been the best 1911 ive ever owned (and ive owned a few if you know what i mean) cant regret a buy like that. now i might have to find one, tax returns are coming soon. if i buy the wife something preety maby i can get one. lol

And I know I once said I'd never get rid of my 22/45s, now they're both gone in a period of 6 months!  But I can always buy another Ruger - the price on the Sig would just keep going up until I absolutely couldn't justify it at all.  Besides, I'm kinda liking the little Walther P-22 as much as the Ruger, and I'm shooting it a whole lot better (friend has one), so I may pick one of those up instead, or maybe another RI .45, or....

i love my little walther p-22. great little gun. it only likes high velocity rounds but it shoots great and is a blast for kids to learn to handle and shoot a pistol with.

It's a great day in Bobland....Ruger has announced that it WILL introduce the SR1911 at the NRA Annual Meetings in Pittsburg.    :woot:

http://www.gunsandammo.com/node/5294/gallery?photo=1

http://www.gunreports.com/news/news/Ruger-introduces-SR1911_2904-1.html

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/models.html

The MSRP is $799!  I am pickled tink.... :hugegrin:

Any body heard about the ruger black hawck convertable. Its a single action revolver with 6.5" barrel. It comes with two cylinders one that takes. 357 mag and. 38 spclecial the second cylander is 9mm. No tools needed to swap from one cylander to the next. Might be a good add to the shtf. Arsenal

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Any body heard about the ruger black hawck convertable.  Its a single action revolver with 6.5" barrel. It comes with two cylinders one that takes. 357 mag and. 38 spclecial the second cylander is  9mm. No tools needed to swap from one cylander to the next.  Might be a good add to the shtf. Arsenal

Personally, I think it would make make more sense to stock up on a single caliber of ammo. Granted, if you were scrounging for ammo, it would be good to be able to use whatever you found.

Personally, I think it would make make more sense to stock up on a single caliber of ammo. Granted, if you were scrounging for ammo, it would be good to be able to use whatever you found.

my thoughts exact if scrounfeing this one pistol.wilould make your options easer

9mm, .38spl and .357mag would all be fairly easy to find if it comes down to SHTF and you have to scrounge or barter for ammo.  A Ruger Blackhawk convertible isn't a bad choice for bushwhacking.

Finally got out to shoot again -put 50 rounds through my Glock, all of them inside the 3rd ring and 10-15 yards.

aswome ofg, now all you have to do is a combat roll,draw and fire in 1.5 seconds. hit the 10 ring and say some cool line like...do you feel lucky punk!  ;)  just kidding. that is some good shootin friend. keep it up. practice makes perfect.

aswome ofg, now all you have to do is a combat roll,draw and fire in 1.5 seconds. hit the 10 ring and say some cool line like...do you feel lucky punk!  ;)  just kidding. that is some good shootin friend. keep it up. practice makes perfect.

Thanks, Razor.

Just watched Dirty Harry this week. At the beginning, the first "Do you feel lucky, Punk? Well, do you?" line...the punk says "I gotta know.."...Harry comes back..puts the gun in his face and it snaps.  I backed it up, replayed it 3 or 4 times counting the shots ...he only shot 4 times. 

At the end...it was the 6th shot.

I've looked at them several times (well, you know--on the website) but have never actually gotten my hands on one.  The reviews for it are a lot better than some I've seen for some of the others on the site, though.  I can, however, highly recommend this one:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Catch-All-Camo-Gear-Bag/753422.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dgear%2Bbag%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=gear+bag&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I have one and it's a real bargain, good size and well made. 

Guest smallgamehunter

Condor bags are good but i prefer 5.11 tactical gear

I ordered two of these and will let you know how they work.  For about $33 each ($25 + $8 shipping ), it looks like a pretty good value.

nice lookin bag. ive found some of the best range bags are actually video and camera bags. lots of organizational pouches and usually padded, or stiff so they stay open. i usually find them at goodwill or other secondhand stores for about 3 bucks apeice. they also make great small bob, auto survival kit bags, etc.  i use one for my guitar accesories bag to. dozens of uses.

nice lookin bag. ive found some of the best range bags are actually video and camera bags. lots of organizational pouches and usually padded, or stiff so they stay open. i usually find them at goodwill or other secondhand stores for about 3 bucks apeice. they also make great small bob, auto survival kit bags, etc.  i use one for my guitar accesories bag to. dozens of uses.

Yeah, I'm always looking for these kind of things. Drives my wife nuts.  lol