WildSurvive Forum
oldfatguy

Handgun thoughts

Yep, Always comes down to shot placement.  Hit's with anything count a lot more than misses with everything. 

Guest smallgamehunter

Cci shotshells are alot of fun from one of those watcher

I had one a few years ago in 22lr that was fun to plink with

Hard to believe I have had my CCW permit for almost 5 years now, so I was up to renew. Took a quick (about 20 minutes) shooting "class" over the weekend where you had to show proficiency with a hand gun. I picked up a few pointers and was comfortable with the test.

JpHdJJ0.jpg?1

Great shootin tex  ;) keep those skills honed.

Thanks.  I ran through about 20 rounds that morning, but had not had the chance to even admire my G19 for a month or so before that.

Nice tight pattern is that two or three clips worth

3 mags (not clips) - 45 rounds.

For the test, there were two command types:

"Up" - this would mean 2-5 rounds at center mass (the grey rectangle in the center)

or

Call out a number - one shot at the number called.

I rushed the one shot at #3 (it hit on the shoulder of the silhouette) and the two that drifted right of center.  The two low on center, I anticipated.

I was in the Army when they switched from the 1911 to the Beretta.  Having spent a lot of time on both platforms, I never cared for the Beretta as much. It's a good gun, but it just never felt quite "Right" in my hands.    On the contrary, I bought my wife an xD subcompact, and after shooting hers, I was so impressed by the weapon that instead of buying one of the other 3 or 4 pistols I had narrowed my choice down to after a year of research and shooting, I bought the xD for myself. 

I have not had the chance to handle either the A2 or the Mod 2, but based on the changes from previous versions of each,  The Beretta doesn't seem to have changed much except for the internal frame buffer, time will tell if that's a big deal or not, but rounding the trigger guard seems like a step backward to me, particularly if the guard wasn't increased in size to handle gloves.  The xD didn't change much to the Mod 2, (Which is a good thing, hard to improve on the platform).  The updated factory sights are probably the best new feature on the Mod 2. 

I was one of those guys who didn't want an xD, I wanted a 1911 or an S&W M&P, but once I shot that xD, I changed my mind.   

Now take that with a grain of salt, I love the xD Sub compact (With a pinky extension it fits my hand perfectly and I have big paws), I didn't care for the grip on the full sized xD quite as much as the subcompact, but I had no complaints either. 

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but my preference definitely sits with xD platform. 

Thanks for the info.

Grip size is one of my concerns, I don't have huge hands. Is the beretta much bigger than the xD?

I do like the m&ps too. Problem for me is I can't even look at any of these guns unless I drive 6 hours down the road to the nearest gun shop that stocks them. So I basically have to make a decision based on research rather than experience.

Going strictly off the xD and 92, the xD just feels better.  The edges of the grips are rounded a bit better on the xD, plus the scallops on the xD just slide your thumb and hand into a perfect grip without any thought.  The Beretta still has the same panel type grips on a straight rounded back-strap.  Both are nearly identical in size so hand size I don't think you'd notice a size difference.  But comfort is night and day.  (Again, this is the 92 vs the xD, not the 92A1 vs xD mod 2 as I don't have either available).  But they both are similar enough to their previous models to make the comparison fairly close. 

M&P has interchangeabl grips to fit any sized hand. Better trigger than both glok and sd and you can get it with or with out an external safety I like the glock and m&p over the xD simpmy becsuse the xD added the unessisary grip safety thst wont allow the slide to be manipulated unless its pressed. The only reason john browning put the grip safety on the 1911 was the army wa ted it to unessisarilly idiotproof the 1911 for combat troops. Otherwise all 3 guns are great performers.  Only the m&p has the best ergos, trigger reset and trigger reach of all 3 and it has mutiple grips to fit any hand. It also has the same grip angle as a 1911 so it points naturally to most people. 

After much more research I'm now looking at a glock 17 gen 4. Mainly because they are so much cheaper than any other gun here and seem like a reliable platform. I like the Walther PPQ the HK VP9 and the Sig P320 but they are all at least 400 more than the glock. The M&P is 1000 here compared to 800 for the glock but the aftermarket parts available for the glock is what tipped the scales between those two. It's a 6 month process to get your first handgun in Australia so I still have a couple of months to wait. I'm also looking at getting a Hera triarii carbine conversion, it's the closest I will ever get to owning a semi auto rifle due to our gun laws.