WildSurvive Forum
oldfatguy

Handgun thoughts

There ya go thats called debate or discussion. Thats what I admire about this group.  :arigato:

What did you expect?  A shoot-out?  :P

Thanks for the information, MtnMan.  I appreciate all the information.

I am leaning toward the Glock 19, but want to shoot that one and a few others before I decide.

Adi, OFG,

ALL the law enforcement I work with has hinted to the fact to NEVER express YOUR intent WITH the weapon...shoot, kill, harm, maim, whatnot....

Simply say (and ONLY if asked) what YOU felt "I feared for my life" "I thought he was trying to kill me" "I thought my life was in danger". In this situation, less is definitely more.

I agree with your comments, but that only works with the police. Never admit responsibly, tell them you were in fear for your life.

But that only works with the police, once you are in court the lawyers will twist every word you say to make you look as if you are the guilty one. They are not concerned about the actual incident but just want to mix you up. Try to get you to lose your temper and just to destroy any creditability you may have. Once they have found a crack in your armour they will work on it to destroy you. Get destroyed in court and the jury will lose all faith in you and move against you, once that happens the judge can only pass sentence against you.    

Its great for people to think they are right and they know what your talking about but if you cant pull it off in court you have no hope. People need to drop their arrogance, self confidence and wake up and smell the beans. Being in court with the lawyers, victims family and possible the press against you is a very stressful place to be. Often a lot more stressful than the original incident that put your there. The prisons have many people in them that did everything right but got it wrong in court and paid the price.

Ask a police officer that has used his weapon in the line of duty about the legal process after and he will tell you it was the worst experience of his life. Being judged by 12,  being better than being carried by 6 is a saying from a bygone age of the west when gun slingers were often the extent of the law. Today being judged by 12 could destroy your life and in some states it could well mean death.  

~ I think most folks on this site aren't Law Enforcement officials who will end up in court over shooting somebody.

I also doubt a home owner would ever be put in jail for "NOT shooting to Wound.... instead of Kill". I'm not even sure there's a legal definiton for that as far as non-law officials go. This isn't England... This is the USA where every pick-up truck in my town has a Rifle hanging in the back window. Jesus, if you break into somebody's home here, you are putting your life on the line. There are very few cases where the criminal pressed charges against his victim. There are SOME....  but they are few and far between.

Y'all are debating a topic to the pont of obsurdity....  Where I can't figure out what the hell anybody is trying to say anymore.

Since Adi is the Only person who is able to wake up and smell the beans, WHAT are the beans saying, Adi? What's the answer? Shoot to kill? That's what everybody is gonna do anyway. end of story. Maybe in England a lawyer can make a living taking on a criminal injury suit....  but here, the crooked lawyers make a LOT more money in personal injury claims involving healthcare and pharmaceutical compainies, and insurance. I don't know a single lawyer who makes a living protecting hoodlums who break into people's homes and get shot.

I Just don't think that many innocent people are in jail for defending their homes and property. I'm not buying it.

SO What EXACTLY are you saying?  Because I can't make heads or tails out of any of this.

Shoot to kill? Is THAT it?

Taken, let me clarify what I am saying:

If you have to shoot another person, it is only as a last resort, and you shoot to kill.  Your target is "center mass" (the largest area and easiest to hit in a stressful situation), which is the middle of the chest, with multiple shots to do the most damage to stop the attacker before they have a chance to kill you.

When questioned (there is no if about that aspect), after you talk with your attorney, your response is that you feared for your life and you shot to stop the threat.

When a law enforcement officer is involved in a shooting, they will wait at least 24 hours before answering any questions.

A citizen would be wise to do the same. This will allow time to calm down and organize your thoughts.  As clear as it might be and however you state what happened, you must always be aware that someone could and probably will try to interpret whatever you say or do to their advantage, which in most cases is to your disadvantage.

In Iowa, legally, you have the right to protect yourself, your loved ones, your home and your property.  If someone breaks into your home (in Iowa), you have the right to use deadly force to protect yourself and your family.

1. Be sure it’s over

2. Secure the other man’s weapon

3. Call 911

4. Ignore the media

5. Call a “Criminal” attorney

6. Tell your lawyer the complete truth

7. Never change your story

You may have just shot an intruder breaking into your home. Don’t assume that he is the only one trying to break in. My advice is to get low, turn off any lamps near you and look around to make sure that the intruder is alone. There was at least one instance where an accomplice who was located outside the home who took a shot at the homeowner after he had disabled his partner-in-crime.

When you are sure that it is safe to do so, make sure that the other man’s weapon is out of his reach. Try not to touch it with your fingers.

Call 911 as soon as possible, but only after you are sure that it is safe to do so.

If anyone in the news media shows up, don’t tell them ANYTHING. Today’s news media has a bias against gun owners and have been known to distort the facts in such a manner as to make gun owners look guilty of a crime just for protecting themselves. Also, in the excitement and stress surrounding an incident like this you may say something that could be used against you if it ever gets to court.

My plan is to grab the revolver I keep in the head of my bed and drop to the floor on the opposite side of the bed. Only expose enough of your self to fire your weapon. The intruder will be expecting some one to be on top of the bed. That can or will be his last mistake.

I would love to get a good old 1911 but im gonna wait until i moveto tennessee, the gun laws here in new york are almost as ridiculous as Cali and getting a pistol permit is like trying to part the red sea. Not to mention there is no castle law in this state. Wonderful new york is a duty to retreat state,(for those who don't know) Meaning if someone breaks into your home you have a duty to retreat to the farthest point away from danger and if you assault the intruder in any way you must prove beyond a doubt that they were going to harm you or a family member in the home. and even if it is proven you will more than likely lose every right to your firearms not to mention be sued by the intruder or their family. in this state you pretty much don't have a right to defend yourself unless you have video tape evidence or a thousand witnesses testifying on your behalf. That is another of the many reasons I want to move out of this state. I live approx. 3.5 hours from NYC and we have all sorts of scum oozing out of that city coming up here and bringing all sorts of nasty shit with them like meth labs and gang shootings in a city 40 miles away and closing. when i was a kid the worst thing as far as drugs in my area when i was growing up was pot and shrooms. a guy i grew up with and lost contact with only to find out a few years ago he got busted for selling a half ounce of crack to an undercover police officer. the leaches know we cant defend ourselves here and i want to sell my house and get out before the home invasions start coming this way. luckily i live across the street from the police chief. Wow what a rant :ranting:

Yes but the intruder is dead and your still breathing. Thats a survivor and not a victim. Ill take my chances with a jury of 12 then 6 carrying my coffin. :peace:

Stopped by a gun show on Saturday and had the chance to look at and hold a number of different hand guns.  Ruled out a number, just on feel (Berrata PX4 Storm feels too big, Tarus - most of those just feel "cheap", Walther, Ruger and a few others.).  Still liking the feel of the Glock 19, but the S&W M&P is there too along with the Springfiled xD

Looked the S&W Sigma last night, along with the "HD". Both look and feel good, but talking wth the gun guy, when  you tear them down, not as rugged of a build (plastic guide rod instead of metal, enclosed recoil spring, etc). That, IMO, takes them out of consideration.

I really need a chance to get out and shoot a few.

Siy back and research the reliability of glocks you'll be amazed some stores seam a little fishy but a lot will amaze you. And from what I have heard from a co worker who has reasently bought one and a few others glocks are extremely.  Easy to field strip and clean

I have heard pretty much nothing put good things about Glocks, HB. I stopped in a store today and was talking with one of the guys that worked there.  He had always been "anti-Glock, then last summer, a Glock 19 Gen 4 came in. He took it to the range and then took it home with him. 

Glock 19 has 34 parts total, about 1/2 of comparable pistols.  It taked about 10 seconds to field strip it.

What can you explain to us non startreck people

a glock is a point and shoot weapon. anybody with a working finger and a reason to point one can use it. they are very reliable and you can trust your life to them.  im not a fan myself(just a grip angle trigger issue) but you cant go wrong with one. all i will say is that if you like a glock, check out the smith and wesson M&P series. they kick grock a$$ for ergonomics and trigger. plus you can get it with an external safety. just my 2 cents.

Stopped by a gun show on Saturday and had the chance to look at and hold a number of different hand guns.  Ruled out a number, just on feel (Berrata PX4 Storm feels too big, Tarus - most of those just feel "cheap", Walther, Ruger and a few others.).  Still liking the feel of the Glock 19, but the S&W M&P is there too along with the Springfiled xD

Looked the S&W Sigma last night, along with the "HD". Both look and feel good, but talking wth the gun guy, when  you tear them down, not as rugged of a build (plastic guide rod instead of metal, enclosed recoil spring, etc). That, IMO, takes them out of consideration.

I really need a chance to get out and shoot a few.

Just got back to the forum after several days of busy - noticed your post - the glocks are great, the m&P great as well, I'd shy away from the sigma until they do some work on the trigger (absolutely horrible - something like 18 lbs - only a personal injury attorney could like this gun).

It's your call - I'd personally go with either the glock 19 or the m&P .40 - you'll be well pleased with either gun and well armed also - then it's up to you for the well trained and well prepared parts.  This would actually be a hard choice for me, but I would probably end up with the m & P strong side carry in a Fobus (my stepson lent me such a setup for a woods walk and it was very nice, very comfortable.

Let us know when you finalize it, then you'll have to post some range pics.