WildSurvive Forum
xXThunderGodXx

My Swiss volcano stove

Here are the components

IMG_1193.jpg

I'm sure it was designed for something like trioxane but i built a small fire using pine twigs and some fatwood

DSCF1919.jpg

the cup holds 16oz of water to the inside lip

DSCF1920.jpg

total of 10 minutes (6 to boil 4 for sanitizing at a roll) it was 10 degrees out and the water was out of the stream nearby.

DSCF1922.jpg

DSCF1924.jpg

while i was boiling in the stove I had the bottle boiling in the fire

DSCF1925.jpg

And lunch is served. the cup is perfect for a 2 serving pack

DSCF1927.jpg

And I have been told that the stove will fit perfectly in a mod gear water bottle pouch. I hope this has been helpful and adds another piece of equipment to the long list of useful things on this site.

Nice post Thunder God. I like that system. Would probably fit in a maxpedition water carrier. I have the 12x5 bottle holder. The 10x4 might work for that.

I Love this stove as it works great using only fuel found in the woods. I hate the idea of lugging fuel stoves out camping. I love light cooking setups.

I'm a fast mover on the trail.

you can get 2 for 20 bucks at the sportsmans guide http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/2-new-swiss-military-volcano-bottles.aspx?a=680100 But i am contemplating locating some kind of screw top bottle or finding a good rubber cork. I've had bad luck with cork stoppers

Wonder if a Guyot bottle would fit that? I have a guyot bottle with a s/s cup. The rest of that would be a great addition to my set-up.

I Love this stove as it works great using only fuel found in the woods. I hate the idea of lugging fuel stoves out camping. I love light cooking setups.

I'm a fast mover on the trail.

ive always likeed those setups, i made one from a venom bottle that i can use woodstuff or an alcohol stove i made from a red bull can. only thing i dont like is black soot on all my gear so i tend to use the alcohol. how many ounces does your bottle hold?

this is that setup i made, sorry if the pictures suck. it holds exactly two cups of water (what you need for most backpacking dehydrated meals or freez dried meals from mt. house) takes 7 minuts to boil at 70 deg. with 1.5 oz. fuel. i have a little stand to put it on for twigs and pine cones etc. everything fits inside when not in use. weighs about 4-5 oz.! if i use it i carry a venom bottle for fuel and if i only use dehydrated food and make 2 cups coffee every morning it will last for an entire weekend plus.

the bottle holds 32 ounces and i keep the kit wrapped in a towel for the soot. only time the soot gets bad is when i use too much fat wood otherwise it burns pretty clean.

sweet, if you can find a screw top bottle that fits let us know

will do. gonna take the bottle with me to gander mountain next time i go and size it to some bottles I spotted there i think they were painted so i will probably bead blast the paint off so i can stick it in the fire without the stink of burning paint.

will do. gonna take the bottle with me to gander mountain next time i go and size it to some bottles I spotted there i think they were painted so i will probably bead blast the paint off so i can stick it in the fire without the stink of burning paint.

ive got some water bottles that would fit , but the lids are plastic(the bottles are threaded) just have to take the lids off befor heating. my first kit when i was yunger was a cheap aluminum canteen with a plastic lid. i cut the chain so i could take the lid off and sterilize water in the fire.

Well according to what I read the guyot bottle will fit in that. So you could use that instead of the corked bottle. I think I will have to order me one.

I Wish I had a surplus store nearby. the closest we have here is about an hour and a half away over winding roads and even then most of what he has there is junk. closest surplus place that has anything of any value is2 hours away down in P.A. Thats where im gonna buy the Deuce and a half for moving our stuff when we sell the house. but yeah you should certainly buy up stuff like that if it isnt gonna put you in a pinch. thats what I plan on doing after reading the last few posts. Anything like that I find I'm gonna offer up first dibs here. I know I'm new but I like the idea of helping out like minded people. Self sufficiency and survival skills are lacking in todays society and people are too comfortable with luxuries and think nothing bad can happen to them as long as the have their cell phone or other devices that are completely useless or that they will be safe in cities and depend on the government to save them if some disaster or another were to occur. It took me 10 years to break my wife of that mindset because she use to live no less than a mile from a grocery store in a house on a lot no bigger than an 1/8 of an acre now she thinks my families 36 acres isnt enough. So now we are looking at a lot that id 109 acres with a nat gas well on it and borders a strong running year round stream and is mostly forested with a couple of meadows and a pond. My Wonderful city girl now wants a small farm and horses. she wants a cream draft for herself and I want a Percheron. Drafts make awesome trail riders. carrying a person and gear is no sweat at all for them. They are allot mellower than the regular smaller breeds.

I Wish I had a surplus store nearby. the closest we have here is about an hour and a half away over winding roads and even then most of what he has there is junk. closest surplus place that has anything of any value is2 hours away down in P.A. Thats where im gonna buy the Deuce and a half for moving our stuff when we sell the house. but yeah you should certainly buy up stuff like that if it isnt gonna put you in a pinch. thats what I plan on doing after reading the last few posts. Anything like that I find I'm gonna offer up first dibs here. I know I'm new but I like the idea of helping out like minded people. Self sufficiency and survival skills are lacking in todays society and people are too comfortable with luxuries and think nothing bad can happen to them as long as the have their cell phone or other devices that are completely useless or that they will be safe in cities and depend on the government to save them if some disaster or another were to occur. It took me 10 years to break my wife of that mindset because she use to live no less than a mile from a grocery store in a house on a lot no bigger than an 1/8 of an acre now she thinks my families 36 acres isnt enough. So now we are looking at a lot that id 109 acres with a nat gas well on it and borders a strong running year round stream and is mostly forested with a couple of meadows and a pond. My Wonderful city girl now wants a small farm and horses. she wants a cream draft for herself and I want a Percheron. Drafts make awesome trail riders. carrying a person and gear is no sweat at all for them. They are allot mellower than the regular smaller breeds.

i dont know anything about horses but im a packmule myself  :hugegrin: i love backpacking and like to make alot of my own gear. especially those little beercan alcohol stoves. i had a freind show me one back in 89 and i thought it was kindof cool. not to brag but we have 2 surplus stores within 45 minuts of us, i think i own stock in the one because ive got so much gear from there in the last 20-30 years(still run by the same little old guy to) my wife isnt very outdoorsy but at least she is on board for the prepping and self reliance stuff. yeah if i can get some stuff id definatly sell it on here for a desent price(probably the same i pay for it) just to help out someone who might need some gear.

I've been to the surplus store in Central City, Razor - which other one are you talking about? Uncle Mike's in Marion?

uncle stans in marion, ive only been to cc surplus in central city 2 times, most there stuff is new or like new and they want to much for it.

wow now looking back I didn't realize what a rant I laid out there. more than just a little off topic lol. Horrible ranting when caffeine and nicotine collide in a sleepy brain. :hugegrin:

Any way back on course, Most of my surplus gear comes from mail order which I hate because I like to look things over and handle them before I lay out money for them. I don't know how many times I have been burned for cheap chinese knockoffs that some places claim are original

g.i. if there isn't a gov serial on it somwhere or other military designation Most of the time the junk falls apart.