WildSurvive Forum
mistwalker

Alayna Roasted Her First Hot Dogs Over A Fire

Had some photos to shoot earlier today so I thought I'd give Alayna something to do to keep her occupied...so I checked out the new scales on the BK-2 while I made a fire. I caught some flack for using a lighter for the last fire I made so this time I thought I'd do something a little more challenging and used fatwood and REI storm proof matches :P

Actually I just wanted to get it done, get her occupied, and get back to work..

I really like the look of the new scales.

DSC_7215.jpg

I really like how they feel too.

DSC_7216.jpg

DSC_7219.jpg

DSC_7220.jpg

Didn't take long at all to go from this.

DSC_7221.jpg

DSC_7222.jpg

DSC_7224.jpg

DSC_7225-1.jpg

DSC_7231.jpg

To this...

DSC_7232.jpg

DSC_7234.jpg

DSC_7243.jpg

By the way the BK-14 is a heck of a whittler...

DSC_7236.jpg

DSC_7248.jpg

Once the fire was going good...and the stick was cut (no pics there) I was able to get Alayna Occupied for the next hour roasting her first hot dogs over open flames.

DSC_7251.jpg

DSC_7255.jpg

DSC_7267.jpg

DSC_7270.jpg

DSC_7271.jpg

Did I mention the BK-14 really whittles well?

DSC_7278.jpg

DSC_7282.jpg

Then Christmas Eve the BK-11 came and we revived the fire from the night before.

DSC_7284.jpg

DSC_7310.jpg

DSC_7312.jpg

Holding it and comparing it to a wrapped BK-14 I can see where some may find the BK-14 a little more comfortable...

DSC_7286.jpg

DSC_7313.jpg

But I don't find the BK-11 uncomfortable, it fits my hand just fine, and my desire for multi-purpose usually over-rides my desire for pure creature comfort.

DSC_7307.jpg

DSC_7289.jpg

DSC_7302.jpg

DSC_7304.jpg

I used the BK-11 to make some fuzz sticks to put on the embers of the fire from the night before and revive the fire.

DSC_7291.jpg

DSC_7301.jpg

DSC_7295.jpg

Alayna was pretty quick to help gather fuel for the fire...

DSC_7316.jpg

apparently her little belly was cold :)

DSC_7319.jpg

The knives look good.

It looks in a few years you'll be telling Alayna's dates "Ya'll have a good time, I'll still be up when you get back.......sharpening my knives."  :rofl:

i love the knives there mist walker. really like the one with mcarta. if it had a true flat grind to the spine id call it ideal edc. glad you got out with your daughter and thanks for sharing the pics.

Thanks everyone. Yep, Alayna is growing up fast, as for sweet...most of the time I guess  ;) . The knives are great knives for edc (by the way they are both full flat ground blades and Ka-Bar's fantastic 1095 CV steel) I'll do a review on them soon as I get a chance. Between the holidays and a VERY tight deadline on the current article I am working on I have had my hands full. Sarah and I have a father daughter day out planned using only these two knives, that should be interesting.

I'll try to get some cool snow pics up soon, we had out first white Christmas in many years with lots of snow...for here anyway, but I have to take care of some other things first. I am spending the days out testing a specific knife right now, and nights sitting at the Waffle House writing and editing photos in peace trying to meet the deadline of Jan 1st and I've only had the knife a few days.

Thanks everyone. Yep, Alayna is growing up fast, as for sweet...most of the time I guess  ;) . The knives are great knives for edc (by the way they are both full flat ground blades and Ka-Bar's fantastic 1095 CV steel) I'll do a review on them soon as I get a chance. Between the holidays and a VERY tight deadline on the current article I am working on I have had my hands full. Sarah and I have a father daughter day out planned using only these two knives, that should be interesting.

I'll try to get some cool snow pics up soon, we had out first white Christmas in many years with lots of snow...for here anyway, but I have to take care of some other things first. I am spending the days out testing a specific knife right now, and nights sitting at the Waffle House writing and editing photos in peace trying to meet the deadline of Jan 1st and I've only had the knife a few days.

sorry, the one looked like it might have been a hollow grind and the other looks like the grind stopped 2/3rds the way up to the spine but i see now it was a different knife now. i love 1095, its a good steel. cant wait for the reviews

Good luck Brother.

Thanks, I'm working my butt off to get it done.

sorry, the one looked like it might have been a hollow grind and the other looks like the grind stopped 2/3rds the way up to the spine but i see now it was a different knife now. i love 1095, its a good steel. cant wait for the reviews

Oh yes, of course you meant the BK-2 and I was talking about the two smaller ones. You may llike the new BK-15 that is coming out now. It is very similar in size and shape to the BK-2 but with a 3/16" thick blade and a higher grind.

Looks like the two of you had a good time, Mist!  She's still cute as a button!

And dang it...I'm already knife poor and you go and post more blade photos... :dribble:  I like the looks of all three!

Looks like the two of you had a good time, Mist!  She's still cute as a button!

And dang it...I'm already knife poor and you go and post more blade photos... :dribble:  I like the looks of all three!

Thanks Bob, she's still a handfull too!!

Sorry man, it's just something that comes with the territory for me....