WildSurvive Forum
xXThunderGodXx

Any long range shooters here?

I Have a stag M6L AR I have been tuning and tweaking and have been popping prairie dog targets at 500 yards with 75 grain v-max handloads. not too bad considering  the gun is stock. I Was going to build a DPMS LR-308, went and bought the lower receiver and everything but a couple of weeks later I found a guy who had all the parts and was looking for a receiver so I horse traded for a Ruger M77 MKII benchrest rifle in .308 did my research first though and found out that this is a viable 1k yard rifle. I have been playing with it on and off but nothing too serious. I plan on using hornaday sst rounds and see how far the envelope can be pushed with it. the trigger is adjustable but even set stock it breaks clean with no creep.

My next mission is to get my hands on a Springfield SocomII For when I go bear hunting. 

I do long range shooting at running coyotes. I have a couple .243s  Remington 700 BDL and a 7600 pump. I use the 75gr. v-max and the Nozler 70 gr.Sometimes Hodgdon Varget , H- 380 and H-335. Bench shooting and running coyotes are two different animals. Wind, leading and follow through, off hand or rest and distance make for a "shoot and hope" scenario at best but every now and then one falls over.  :D

I do long range shooting with .22 rimfire. ive shot sub 2 in. 5 shot groups with my marlin i acurized at 200 yards. i also have a savage 110 tactical with acutrigger that will dance a beer can around all day with 69 grain .223 black hills at 500 yards. well..490 yards by my pacecount.

I haven't done any long range shooting in a very long time.  The best day I had was with a borrowed Browning BAR in .300 Winchester Magnum, now that was a well set up gun!  I wish I could have talked old Offitt Rogers into selling it to me!  I've always been more of a shotgunner than a rifleman, I'm afraid.

I guess you could say I've done my share.  ;)  I still keep in touch with it hunting coyotes, but not like I used to.  I always favored the Remington 700 in .308 and 22-250/.223 for the yotes.  Ever since leaving the military I now prefer the bow and arrow.

I remember days of shooting so much that I could close my eyes at the end of the day and see the cross hairs burnt in my eye.

I just started doing 1000 yard scoped rifle. I've been shooting NRA highpower out to 600 for decades and from time to time did 1000 with iron sights but the scope is more challanging then I thought it would be. Shooting known distance and reading wind at 600 is a challange but having to range with mil-dots is a very different game.And of course the wind factor still applies. Fun though.