WildSurvive Forum
antagonizer

Missing item from my medical kit

I keep an AWESOME medical kit. It's an old WWII medic's bag and has everything in there from bandages, sickness pills, pain pills, breath tester, thermal blanket etc. The one item that I don't have, that I'm certain a med kit has to have, is penicillin. Now, the ironic thing is that you can't get it without a prescription so I was wondering how I would acquire a supply for my kit?

It's great to have a med bag that's prepared for any disaster, but what happens if you're stuck, long term, and someone picks up something as simple as a bladder infection?

I keep an AWESOME medical kit. It's an old WWII medic's bag and has everything in there from bandages, sickness pills, pain pills, breath tester, thermal blanket etc. The one item that I don't have, that I'm certain a med kit has to have, is penicillin. Now, the ironic thing is that you can't get it without a prescription so I was wondering how I would acquire a supply for my kit?

It's great to have a med bag that's prepared for any disaster, but what happens if you're stuck, long term, and someone picks up something as simple as a bladder infection?

grow your own, i think all you need is some wet bread...not sure though.

~ It's hard to get antibiotics for "Just in case" situations. I don't know a single doctor who would prescribe it for you. First of all, you don't know WHAT you're going to be treating. You have to know what bug you're fighting to know what antibiotic to use. Penicillin wouldn't touch a Urinary tract infection. Plus, all antiboitics have a shelf life.

For a UTI, the best self help is to just flush out the bacteria by drinking lots and lots of water and drinking cranberry juice. It acidifies the urine and helps kill bacteria. You can buy AZO over the counter to anesthetize your urethra (in the mean time) It just numbs your urinary tract and takes away the pain.... while your body fights off the infection. That's what I would do.

~ It's hard to get antibiotics for "Just in case" situations. I don't know a single doctor who would prescribe it for you. First of all, you don't know WHAT you're going to be treating. You have to know what bug you're fighting to know what antibiotic to use. Penicillin wouldn't touch a Urinary tract infection. Plus, all antiboitics have a shelf life.

For a UTI, the best self help is to just flush out the bacteria by drinking lots and lots of water and drinking cranberry juice. It acidifies the urine and helps kill bacteria. You can buy AZO over the counter to anesthetize your urethra (in the mean time) It just numbs your urinary tract and takes away the pain.... while your body fights off the infection. That's what I would do.

that is awsome advice Taken! now i dont have to eat moldy bread. (all joking aside that is great to know)

that is what I was thinking look online maybe

~ You might could get them out of the country. But again, you've got to know what you're treating.

Or..... talk to a Pharm. D. (A Doctor of pharmacy who works at a big chain store ) tell them what your plan is, and ask them what They would do. If anybody knows drugs.... THEY do. And they won't charge you for advice. Go to Walgreens or whatever is near you, and ask if there's a Pharm. D. working there, and if there is, pick his/her brain and just see what they say. They might know doctors who do that. The fill every prescription in town, so they'd know who to send you to.

You use to be able to get dried/shelf stable antibiotic from the veterinary section of your local Co-Op, but the illegal drug makers has made them lock away everything now.

I find it kind of frustrating. Antibiotics aren't intoxicants and tho they can be dangerous if not taken properly, that can easily be rectified by a label and some common sense.  I never understood why they were withheld from the general public.

I've got an appointment with my doc in the next couple weeks. We'll see if she will hook me up.

Antibiotics are great but there over use lessons there effectiveness, new antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria are being discovered all the time. For this reason scripts for antibiotics will only ever be issued in very strict controls.

When I get my script for antibiotics for overseas expeditions I need at least 5 different sorts of antibiotics and non of them are penicillin.

I would be very surprised if you doctor would write you a script.

Antibiotics are great but there over use lessons there effectiveness, new antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria are being discovered all the time. For this reason scripts for antibiotics will only ever be issued in very strict controls.

When I get my script for antibiotics for overseas expeditions I need at least 5 different sorts of antibiotics and non of them are penicillin.

I would be very surprised if you doctor would write you a script.

Ya, when I did my tour up north, we had one fella, not sure if he was a medic or not, who kept a series of meds in his kit. They came in handy twice when one person got a respiratory infection and another had a foot blister that went sour.

It's my sole reason for wanting them. I was only out there for 60 days and we had two events where these scripts came in handy so it got me realizing how easy it is to take ill in harsh conditions.

Penicillin is a bad idea to carry. A lot of people are allergic to it. It could kill them.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk.