WildSurvive Forum

Pictures finally.

The infamous deck shelter. Warm and dry.

P1050224.jpg

Inside.

P1050226.jpg

With trash bags padding

P1050229.jpg

The Franken-Pack. Much improved on since this picture was taken.

P2060001.jpg

P2060003.jpg

Thanks razor. The The only big changes where a Dry Pak dive bag that I was able to put the sleeping bag and blankets. That hooked around the bottom of the frame. The black bag in the middle is the Maxedition Merlin. In this picture it sits uprght and the pack straps do double duty as carry straps for the whole fram. Last night I found a an army surplus store web gear harness which fits much better.

The Maxpedition Merlin now rides sideways and the whole thing is a bit more stable. I've jumped up wearing it and shook it. If I have time on Wednesday I'll take it on a test walk.

The alien is Probee. He doesn't glow, it would be cool if he did.  

Guest smallgamehunter

try winter camping under a USGI poncho hooch and an extreme cold weather bag makes it fun when its -20 with the wind chill

OK now that i have a few minutes...

Thoughts and then I'll post pictures.

Tempertures were in the low teens to the mid twenties at night 45 during the day and really windy.

Lesson learned. Even though I changed my socks every day, it wasn't enough. Istill had cold clammy feet at night. I changed into dry socks before going to bed but it took forever for my feet to get get warmed back up.

Extra socks, a bottle of foot powder and clean feet.

Camping on the deck was worthwhile in order to learn what I would need to bring in order to stay warm. But there was a lot more that I didn't learn until I was out for the weekend.

Gear reports.

Coghlan's tube tent started getting pinholes in it just by looking at it.  :S Bring a tent instead

Ultimate Survival Strike Force firestarting tool served well.  :thumbup:

Cold Steel TrenchHawk  :/ bring an axe instead. 

Orikaso flatware (Goes by a differnt name now) cool stuff

Solatec Aerovest needs more testing Don't wear it unless you need it. (condensation)

Good shots great time and a beautiful location. I wish I wasnt 66 years old at times like this. Best Western is about the best I can do these days.

Thanks for your pictures and your effort.

How did your shelter work out. I see you survived  :P

Squirell snare on a pole. No success.

P2120022.jpg

Inside the tube tent. Still nicer then sleeping on the back deck.

P2120027.jpg

Stick frame to keep the tube tent from closing in.

P2120028.jpg

P2120030.jpg

Bacon on a branch. It didn't work due to the wind blowing the heat sideways. Thor ate well.

P2120033.jpg

Saturday night dinner. Spicy chicken and rice.

P2120036.jpg

We considered staying in the teepee but it was full of spiders.

P2120041.jpg

Good shots great time and a beautiful location. I wish I wasnt 66 years old at times like this. Best Western is about the best I can do these days.

Thanks for your pictures and your effort.

How did your shelter work out. I see you survived  :P

Thanks Swede. I slept well. I had a cold weather sleeping bag and a bivvy shell. Other then my back bothering me a little I was fine.

This was my first time sleeping in tube tent. I found it in a box right before I left and thought why not. The Coghlan's model is fragile. It developed little holes in the sides while I was setting it up.

I weighed the floor down with some fire wood from the pile. It kept everything in place when the wind picked up on saturday. I was lucky that the weather was dry and clear. I don't think I'd want to try the tube tent in a heavy snowstorm.

Next time I'll bring a tent.

looks like you had an awsome time Muddy!i see you use the same water bottle i do. one trick that will help your feet is to heat up water (not to hot) and put it in your lexan water bottle. stuff it at the foot of your sleeping bag about 20 minuts before you climb in. toasty toes for a long time. it seams like it takes forever for your toes to warm up but if they start out warm they stay that way. (my own experiance anyway) glad you got out, had a good time and learned some good stuff. and thanks for the pics :thumbup:

~ Great pics Muddy! Looks like you tried out a lot of techniques. I would've been scared to cook some bacon on a limb like that (only cause I saw that movie The Edge, and in my mind Huge Alaskan Brown bears might possibly just migrate way down here, if they smelled some bacon cooking.)  :unsure:    :scared: scared011.gif

My imagination really runs away with my brain when I'm in the woods!  :P :rofl:  (just ask Holly) :whistle:

~ I like that you took a dog with you! I swore to myself, I'd never go camping again without my dog with me  :thumbup:. Is that your dog? What kind of dog is it?

Thor was the next door neighbors dog. He stuck around when he found out there was chili and bacon. And people who would play with him. He actually spent Friday night under one campers tarp shelter. Not mine.  

Thor was the next door neighbors dog. He stuck around when he found out there was chili and bacon. And people who would play with him. He actually spent Friday night under one campers tarp shelter. Not mine. 

~ I TRY to tell my kids that the key to a dog's heart is Bacon, or any food, but they don't believe it. They say, "I don't understand why the dogs love YOU More, Mamma!  You don't love on them and cuddle with them like we do!"  I tell them "They know who feeds them... That's ALL That counts to them."  (they don't believe me) LOL

~

My imagination really runs away with my brain when I'm in the woods!  :P :rofl:  (just ask Holly) :whistle:

Blair Witch Project came up. After everyone turned in, Thor and another neighborhood mooch named Hank started running around camp. I'm in my tube tent listening to the rustle of leaves and foot steps. Waiting for something to grab the bottom of my sleeping bag and yank me out the back end of the tent.

~ I TRY to tell my kids that the key to a dog's heart is Bacon, or any food, but they don't believe it. They say, "I don't understand why the dogs love YOU More, Mamma!  You don't love on them and cuddle with them like we do!"  I tell them "They know who feeds them... That's ALL That counts to them."  (they don't believe me) LOL

I lost the trail down in the hollow and lost my bearings for a moment. Then Thor came running down the hill and I followed him back up until found the back of the camp.   

Blair Witch Project came up. After everyone turned in, Thor and another neighborhood mooch named Hank started running around camp. I'm in my tube tent listening to the rustle of leaves and foot steps. Waiting for something to grab the bottom of my sleeping bag and yank me out the back end of the tent.

~ Funny how sleeping in the woods awakens all kinds of instincts and feelings. I can remember how even hearing a domestic dog barking late at night in a nearby campsite was like a primal comfort. It helped me sleep. I realized why man and dog hooked up. We give them food, and they give us a sense of security.  :thumbup:

thats funny, when i was about 15 some freinds of mine camped down by the old railroad tressle(bridge) buy where i grew up. it was right after the first friday the 13th movie came out. so i put a couple holes in a pillow case tied it around my neck with a piece of rope, grabbed an axe and snuck down there in the dark. i jumped out, yelled and scared the ever living sh$% out of them, i didnt know tough high school jocks could scream like little girls. it was hilarious. (do you have any idea how hard it is to run threw the woods in the dark carring an axe while looking threw holes cut in a pillow case? ill tell ya it was hard!