WildSurvive Forum

~ Funny how sleeping in the woods awakens all kinds of instincts and feelings. I can remember how even hearing a domestic dog barking late at night in a nearby campsite was like a primal comfort. It helped me sleep. I realized why man and dog hooked up. We give them food, they give us security.

That and the axe I have one hand on under my pillow. Chupacabra was in for an unpleasant surprise.

thats funny, when i was about 15 some freinds of mine camped down by the old railroad tressle(bridge) buy where i grew up. it was right after the first friday the 13th movie came out. so i put a couple holes in a pillow case tied it around my neck with a piece of rope, grabbed an axe and snuck down there in the dark. i jumped out, yelled and scared the ever living sh$% out of them, i didnt know tough high school jocks could scream like little girls. it was hilarious. (do you have any idea how hard it is to run threw the woods in the dark carring an axe while looking threw holes cut in a pillow case? ill tell ya it was hard!

~  :woot: :rofl:

Blair Witch Project came up. After everyone turned in, Thor and another neighborhood mooch named Hank started running around camp. I'm in my tube tent listening to the rustle of leaves and foot steps. Waiting for something to grab the bottom of my sleeping bag and yank me out the back end of the tent.

One of the best movies to watch. It scares my friend who has walked home in the fog and heard coyotes howl on halloween.

Blair Witch Project came up. After everyone turned in, Thor and another neighborhood mooch named Hank started running around camp. I'm in my tube tent listening to the rustle of leaves and foot steps. Waiting for something to grab the bottom of my sleeping bag and yank me out the back end of the tent.

:rofl:  That was Taken when we went camping together.  I was sleeping like a baby while she spent the entire night peering out the tent windows with her flashlight.  I don't think she went to sleep until it was almost dawn.  I spent the entire morning piddling around the campsite and wondering why she was sleeping so late!  :P

That and the axe I have one hand on under my pillow. Chupacabra was in for an unpleasant surprise.

LOL!

Muddy Pete, I love the pictures and I love the fact that you were brave enough to attempt winter camping, and that you took such good notes as to what worked and what didn't work.  :yes:

Muddy Pete, I love the pictures and I love the fact that you were brave enough to attempt winter camping, and that you took such good notes as to what worked and what didn't work.  :yes:

Thanks Holly,

We lucked out with the weather. This past weekend the wind was gusting up to 50mph which would have made a campfire an impossibility not to mention an extreme fire hazard.  When we first planned it I was hoping for a blizzard. In hindsight I reallyyy glad that didn't happen.

Guest smallgamehunter

winter camping is fun because u dont get ate up by the bugs and u will find most campgrounds empty

I would much rather go camping when it's cold, but living in Fla. we don't have a lot of cold, it's either hot or cold, rarely is it cool. When it is cold it's a god send because there's no bugs and no people. Hot weather camping is almost miserable.

Guest smallgamehunter

yea i lived in the ft walton area down there in 05 and it was muggy in summer and about 50 or so in the winter

I went for an overnighter this past weekend. It was warm enough during the day to sweat on the hike and cloths got wet, but not enough to dry them out, and it went down to somewhere around 50 degrees after dark, it was warm enough for the mosquitoes and ticks, ticks more than mosquitoes. needless to say I was cold all night even with a fire. 

No bugs, no people, the night skies and the wonderful sound of NOTHING.

For those of you interested in winter camping this is an AWESOME book!

No, I'm not the author nor do I have anything to do with it.  lol

Looks like we're going to do the winter campout again this February. Time to start sleeping outside again. This year I'm using something better then the tube tent.

Looks like we're going to do the winter campout again this February. Time to start sleeping outside again. This year I'm using something better then the tube tent.

great muddy, we have a january campout with the scouts (backpacking trip on private land) i just hope we get some snow by then. this is only the second brown xmass i have ever seen in iowa in my memory. have fun.

great muddy, we have a january campout with the scouts (backpacking trip on private land) i just hope we get some snow by then. this is only the second brown xmass i have ever seen in iowa in my memory. have fun.

Maybe we'll get lucky and have snow.

A question. Hammock camping which I love or tents for cold weather?

ive slept in my hammock down to 25 deg. with a blue walmart sleep pad in the hammock and my 3 bag sleep system (liner bag, winter bag, gortex bivy cover) and stayed pleanty warm. havnt gotten a chance to test any lower yet. i think as long as you insulate the hammock either from putting something like a quilt(down) under it or something in it like a blue mat it shouldnt be to bad. the biggest problem is wind blowing under it.  i still preffer a good tent for winter camping. 2 man double wall with vents is about perfect. just make sure all the screens can be shut to keep out spindrift. itll blow right threw a noseum mesh screen.

ive slept in my hammock down to 25 deg. with a blue walmart sleep pad in the hammock and my 3 bag sleep system (liner bag, winter bag, gortex bivy cover) and stayed pleanty warm. havnt gotten a chance to test any lower yet.

That was my thinking. The 3 part system worked fine last February but the tube tent was pain to get in and out of. I was planning on taking my solo tent and rigging the tarp over it in the event we got snow.

I have a thermarest pad that I use in the spring, but was going to supplement it with wool blanket.

That was my thinking. The 3 part system worked fine last February but the tube tent was pain to get in and out of. I was planning on taking my solo tent and rigging the tarp over it in the event we got snow.

I have a thermarest pad that I use in the spring, but was going to supplement it with wool blanket.

what solo tent do you have muddy. ive used everything from a snow cave to a snow block hut and tarp, my us gi puptent (still one of my favorite winter tents with the a frame poles i built for it. only thing i hate is buttoning it up when the buttons are frozen and covered with snow. right now i use a 2 man dome with a full coverage rainfly and closable eyelid vents. when it comes to tenting it its a battle of trapping heat and venting condensation. youd be suprised how warm a tent can be in winter without a heater.

what solo tent do you have muddy. ive used everything from a snow cave to a snow block hut and tarp, my us gi puptent (still one of my favorite winter tents with the a frame poles i built for it. only thing i hate is buttoning it up when the buttons are frozen and covered with snow. right now i use a 2 man dome with a full coverage rainfly and closable eyelid vents. when it comes to tenting it its a battle of trapping heat and venting condensation. youd be suprised how warm a tent can be in winter without a heater.

Kelty Crestone.

i love kelty products. i still have a kelty quatro 3 season tent that ive had since 95. it finally gave up the ghost last year when the coating on the fly finally seperated from sun damage for being so well used and the seams started sepperating on the fly. otherwise it never had a drop of water in it till last year. only drag was crawling in and out of it. im looking at getting the eureaka alpinlite xt. gets great reviews and at half the cost of a northface or msr is much better on the wallet. and its light for a 4 season tent.

Guest smallgamehunter

i used my us gi poncho rigged like a tipi and my extreme cold weather sleeping bag down to 15 degrees and stayed warm.

I also had a solo bivy i used for a bit so i would say its personal preference

i used my us gi poncho rigged like a tipi and my extreme cold weather sleeping bag down to 15 degrees and stayed warm.

I also had a solo bivy i used for a bit so i would say its personal preference

ive used my solo bivy a few times and the only problem i had was severe condensation inside, plus i hate crawling in and out of it. but its nice and light, takes up about the space of two soda cans. i like the simplicity of a 2 pole free standing dome with vestibule and full rainfly. ive also just flopped my gortex bivy on my thermorest and watched the stars with no tarp or tent when it was sub freezing, as long as there isnt howling wind or snowing its no problem.

There is a new insulation for duct work it's like a 1/4" thick solid bubble wrap with a silver reflective coating on each side. I use it as a ground tarp it makes a big difference. It's OK for car camping too bulky for backpacking

There is a new insulation for duct work it's like a 1/4" thick solid bubble wrap with a silver reflective coating on each side. I use it as a ground tarp it makes a big difference. It's OK for car camping too bulky for backpacking

Interesting. What's it called?