WildSurvive Forum
Captain Casual

Altoids tin fishing and sewing kit

picture009ir.jpg

picture015he.jpg

By mrmastermech at 2011-02-15

By mrmastermech at 2011-02-15

Been mucking around with a fishing and sewing kit lately and this is the final result (for now).

Kit consists of:

Scissors

Tweezers

6 buttons

2 metal clip buttons

Various size needles

Various size safety pins

30m (100ft) of high strength thread

Needle threader

6 glow in the dark fishing beads

Various sinkers, hooks, and swivels

Jig head

2 soft plastics

1 lure

3 glow sticks

18m (60ft) 15lb line

and 3 flies

Feel free to let me know if you think I can improve it.

Looks good. You might want to add a wine cork to push your hook into when your setting your line. I had a line jerk up on me once and pulled a hook into my thumb. 

Matt, you could add a couple panfish jigs to it. also you can store your line on sewing bobbins. They work great.

Yeah i will do that, the way the line is now i worry about it getting tangled when i go to use it.

This is my take on the altoid fishing/Sewing kit. using most of the same items.

Note the tape reel used as a fishing line i have 25lbs on the left and 12lbs on the right.

IMG_1234_640x480.jpg.712d581a47170bdff8da36940ad28874.jpg

IMG_1228_640x480.jpg.72d5abf38ffb5d2d647dc2426409e6a6.jpg

those are some big ass hooks. I couldn't get away with using half of that where i live... when in doubt go smaller. I once caught a 10 pound trout on a size #22 fly.

but i guess it goes to prove that size doesn't matter.

Yeah but i figured that they don't take up much room. there are a fair few little hooks and small lures in the kit aswell. I might swap some of the big ones for some panfish lures

The hooks that look big are long shank hooks, the hook part itself isn't that big, but they have a long shank. On a typical day of fishing the biggest hook in the kit is about the smallest hook I would use.

The other thing the long shank hooks are good for are catching fish like catfish and eels that have really sharp teeth as their teeth will try to cut into the hook and not your soft line. cat fish also have massive mouths for trolling the bottom of the creek/dam so a big hook is no problem.

My 2 cents- I agree that panfish are your easiest catch however I live no where near the ocean. My personal thought is the comment about the pathfinder guys fishing tube! It's a great idea plus he's casting and reeling it in. Just an option. You can always get a good stick laying around and cane pole it.

The other thing the long shank hooks are good for are catching fish like catfish and eels that have really sharp teeth as their teeth will try to cut into the hook and not your soft line. cat fish also have massive mouths for trolling the bottom of the creek/dam so a big hook is no problem.

I would suggest you put your altoid tin in a zip lock bag. Water can get into that tin a rust every thing in there.

I was actually planning to seal it in a water bottle with other survival equitment. this way the water bottle can be used as storage for water survival stuff or for boiling water.

Maybe theres some stainless steel hooks out there. Ill have to look around. I cant tell you how many small fishing kits I have left in a tackle box in my boat only to find them rusted to pieces.

Guest smallgamehunter

i have used the pathfinder fishing kit to catch  bluegill  crappie catfish and largemouth bass

i made mine rather then buyin it

nice alatoids kit i would add some aquamira water treatment tabs and a small square of tin foil