WildSurvive Forum
Mongoose

Recommend Me A Backpack For My Kit

Maxpedition, Northface, Camel Bak, Jansport, Kelty, Mountainsmith, Ribz front pack.

ive owned kelty, mountainsmith and  an old favorite, the alice pack size medium as well as many others.  kelty and mountainsmith both have excellent customer service, there are sooooo many packs out there that fit the bill. need more info to help like size and weight of gear, type of terain you want to carry said gear in most the time and any features you would really like in a pack.

Mongoose you had mentioned the rush 24 which might be to small for you but look into the rush 72 backpack. It can be found for under 150.00. It is a 3 day pack. It will hold a fair amount of equipment and supplies.

Maxpedition, SpecOps and Condor make very high quality packs.  I think it really depends on how you wish to use it.  

I have a Camelbak Transformer for a general use pack.  I wanted something heavy duty with hydration.  This one fits the bill for me for just a day pack while hiking or geocaching.  I can put in a lot of gear and it is very comfortable.  

It would not be good, however, for packing in a large quanity of heavy gear, as it is not large enough.

I think the first place to start would be to assemble the gear you want in your kit to get an idea of how large you want and how you want it packed and/or organized.  Next, consider the weight and distance you will be carrying.  Once you have a good idea on those, then start looking at your various options.  Everyone's going to prefer something a little different.

Let us know what you find.

ive owned kelty, mountainsmith and  an old favorite, the alice pack size medium as well as many others.  kelty and mountainsmith both have excellent customer service, there are sooooo many packs out there that fit the bill. need more info to help like size and weight of gear, type of terain you want to carry said gear in most the time and any features you would really like in a pack.

My Survival Kit Topic is located in this forum on this page.

Where you at?

Where else, at home in my Boxer Shorts.

My Survival Kit Topic is located in this forum on this page.Where else, at home in my Boxer Shorts.

sorry, i thought that was your wishlist of stuff. if it all weighs less than 20 pounds id go with what packs ofg pointed out. if your looking to overnight and pack a tent and sleeping gear to you will need about a 3000-3500 ci pack unless you can afford superlightweight backpacking gear then you can get away with as small as 2500. ive made 1/3rd of my gear, bought 1/3 from military surplus and 1/3 exspensive lightweight gear. i do a lot of backpacking so some of my gear is a little geared (pun intended) towards comfort because i aint 19 anymore :hugegrin: if your just looking for a pack to only hold survival gear untill you need it maxpedition makes some awsome stuff.

I always check the Bargin Cave at Cabela's.

check out campmor and sportsmans guide, they both have great prices on stuff and lots of gear to chose from.

I spent quite a bit of time looking at the Kelty Tioga 5000 Pack on Campmor. Should fit everything on the List below. I did split the items up between Campmor and MidWay-USA. Lots of good stuff on that website but won't let me login after I Register. That's alright though because I'll just call in my order.

Airgun Depot:

Crosman 1377C Air Pistol

Crosman Shoulder Stock

MidWay-USA:

Gamo Blue Flame PBA Pellets x2

Crosman Pellgun Oil

Eureka Solitaire Tent

Ontario Field Machete

Ontario Machete Sheath

Gerber Pocket Sharpener

Katadyn "My Bottle" System

AMK Signal Mirror

AMK Thermo-Lite Blanket

Glock Field Knife

Glock E-Tool

Campmor:

BullFrog Quik Gel Spray

Ben's Max 100% Deet Repellent

Silva Trekker Type-20 Compass

AMK Tactical Field Trauma Kit

Zippo Fire Starter Kit

Nice N' Clean Wipes

Wal-Mart:

Bic Disposable Lighter

Chili Powder

Yeah, I know I often on some items. Could be due to the Brain Damage or Borderline Personality Disorder.

Where'd you find the Shoulder Stock?  I have a PC77 (same gun as the 1377) that I use for grand daughter training (JackJack's a bit too young yet, and he's a bit too "two" (although he's headed to 4yo) right now to even consider handling a projectile device).  I use it for pest control but would like to benchrest it with a stock.

Also, I actually found a North Face day pack at a Goodwill Thrift Store for 4.98  - that's not a typo - it was just over 5 bucks with tax - a bit dirty but a damp brush took care of that and no other defects found - guy behind me was some pissed when I grabbed it first, but I pointed him to the LL Bean custom sack (made by Kelty) right behind it and he was okay after that (5 bucks also).

The North Face daypack is a nice piece of work in that it has a couple of 3/4 length outer pockets - lots of gear close to hand without opening the whole thing - I can easily get spare pistol ammo, huge first aid kit, stove, fuel, and lunch all in those two outer pockets along with a poncho and oversized space blankie.  It just doesn't fit worth a hoot in that the waist strap actually expects to be buckled around my waist, which due to age, gravity, and winter fat accumulation, is several inches below where it should normally be located.  That'll change in a couple of months of springtime walking and kayaking, and for now I just don't use the waist cinch.

Both Airgun Depot and PyramydAir sell the stocks. Airgun Depot had it instock so that's who I ordered it from. The stock costs $25.

Also, I actually found a North Face day pack at a Goodwill Thrift Store for 4.98  - that's not a typo - it was just over 5 bucks with tax - a bit dirty but a damp brush took care of that and no other defects found - guy behind me was some pissed when I grabbed it first, but I pointed him to the LL Bean custom sack (made by Kelty) right behind it and he was okay after that (5 bucks also).

The North Face daypack is a nice piece of work in that it has a couple of 3/4 length outer pockets - lots of gear close to hand without opening the whole thing - I can easily get spare pistol ammo, huge first aid kit, stove, fuel, and lunch all in those two outer pockets along with a poncho and oversized space blankie.  It just doesn't fit worth a hoot in that the waist strap actually expects to be buckled around my waist, which due to age, gravity, and winter fat accumulation, is several inches below where it should normally be located.  That'll change in a couple of months of springtime walking and kayaking, and for now I just don't use the waist cinch.

Great find, mtn-man.

Being an "oldfatguy" myself, I have made extensions for the waist strap on some of the packs I have.  I find a set of buckles that match those on the pack and then just use paracord to make like a bracelet. When I am finished, just snap the buckles between the two on the pack.

If I can't find a set that matches, I will just take one end off the strap on the pack, put it on one end of the strap I am making, the put the other set on the strap end and the strap on the pack.  

You can then use the adjustments on the standard pack straps to tighten it up as needed, plus it will give you another 20-25 feet of paracord if you need it.

Great to hear you got a pack Mongoose

I think you didn't read my post right. I got the Crosman 1377C and Shoulder Stock ordered.