WildSurvive Forum
mistwalker

Possible Wolf Tracks?

Canine Mist. Big canine. Labs have big feet but those are even big for a lab. I would suspect lobo wolf if I thought there was any in your area.The claws are too long for a wild canine Im guessing some one took their Great Dane for a walk. The claws look long enough for a house pet that doesnt get much out door running. Five toes on a bear.

The scat looks like coons in a berry patch last fall.Odd looking seeds definitely not berries.

http://www.bear-tracker.com/bear.html

I have seen the identical scat here in southern New Jersey summer after the hot dry season. I have not seen it since then. Someone on the Hoodlums forum found it in Texas. There should be a post under 'Scat'. I think the conclussion was racoon.   

Ok, yes definitely canine tracks...it just didn't want to register due to the size I think, those tracks are about four inches long. Not sure what the canine is other than pretty sure it is feral. I'll go back up there tomorrow after today's rain and look some more. The canine tracks and human tracks overlap at the watering hole but that's it. The canine tracks come from the closed off area to the watering hole and then go back. I found the large canine tracks miles into the closed off area and miles after the human tracks stop. The human tracks start at the parking area and go a short distance past that watering hole and then return to the parking area... and there are none of the large canine tracks on the wet sandy road going back to the parking area or anywhere in the parking or camping area. There is only one set of coyote tracks that were smaller and they go past the parking area and into the woods on the other side. I didn't find any signs of domestic dog scat anywhere out there. I can't say for sure about that scattered pile of scat, but this pile I found back in the summer was fresh and I am pretty sure it's not coon, it was the size of a cow patty. and yes, pretty sure the seeds are persimmon. The pile below was found in an area heavy with persimmon trees and I was eating persimmons myself when I found it.

DSC_3378.jpg

They reintroduced Red Wolves in this part of the country 20 years ago. 70 of them were said to be in Alligator National Wildlife Refuge in coastal NC. and then about 25 up in Cade's Cove in the Smokies (which is only eighty miles away from me). They were allowed to roam freely not penned in or anything so it is possible they are here. The current info says that the reintroduction program did not work and there are no wolves in the park. It does not say in what way it failed. Current info also says the third site is still up for selection.

Ive seen and tracked a wolf track in Ontario while moose and bear hunting. The main thing about wolf tracks is the shear distance they can travel in one night. Wolves do have big feet especially an old Lobo. If you say the tracks remained on the path and went for a long way that is a good sign for a wolf. Domestic dogs wander around and stop and sniff every thing they come to while wolves just lay down a long dotted line. Domestic dogs rarely place their hind foot in the front foot track like coyotes and wolves.A feral dog is possible but not likely.

The scat especially that big of a pile does look like bear.Either wolf or bear is not out of possibility.

Mist, set up a trailcam around there and check on it maybe you'll be able to catch what made those tracks.

Ive seen and tracked a wolf track in Ontario while moose and bear hunting. The main thing about wolf tracks is the shear distance they can travel in one night. Wolves do have big feet especially an old Lobo. If you say the tracks remained on the path and went for a long way that is a good sign for a wolf. Domestic dogs wander around and stop and sniff every thing they come to while wolves just lay down a long dotted line. Domestic dogs rarely place their hind foot in the front foot track like coyotes and wolves.A feral dog is possible but not likely.

The scat especially that big of a pile does look like bear.Either wolf or bear is not out of possibility.

Couldn't really say if it never wondered, a lot of the ground was rocky and no tracks. But never found a track running cross-ways of the road. I went back out there Tuesday after the bad storm we had on Monday with no sign of the large canine tracks. I did find a lot more coyote tracks and a couple of sets of bobcat tracks, some rabbit tracks, squirrel tracks, turkey tracks...but no large canine or bear. I have been hoping to find bear tracks ever since I found those piles of scat back during the summer with no luck. They tried for years to reintroduce bears here without much luck. They either kept wondering off or being trapped/hunted out. I'd love to get some decent photos of a bear here close to home. Catching a wolf in a picture would be awesome too. Problem is that I just don't have time to spend extended periods of time in the woods like I once did.

Mist, set up a trailcam around there and check on it maybe you'll be able to catch what made those tracks.

I would love to but it's not my land

Just pick up a piece of the scat and taste it. Bear scat has a distinctive flavor like cashews.  :whistle:

Just pick up a piece of the scat and taste it. Bear scat has a distinctive flavor like cashews.   :whistle:

It had a distinctive smell, I'll just take your word for it having a distinctive flavor  :)

Just hide it and retrieve it in a few days and see if you catch what's going through there.

Tell them if found out you work for Monster Quest :woot:

I agree with Swede...I think it looks like a large dog, but the scat doesn't look like dog or wolf.  I looks like coon scat.

Now that second pile of scat could be bear.  Bear scat varies alot depending on the time of the year.  Were there any tracks visible around that second pile of scat you posted?

That trail cam advice is a really good idea!