WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Unca Walt

Went to the VA

So I went to the VA horsepittle

It is a HUGE place <-- biggest building for fifty miles in any direction. And it ain't far away at all. Fifteen miles, mebbe.

There is a new way to do hearing tests: Instead of wearing great big Mickety Moose earphones, they just put these li'l pluggy things in yer ears. WAY more comfortable. And the world goes SILENT when they are in there.

First, they have a guy's voice... You are 'posed to repeat what he says -- instruction goes like this:

"You will say, 'cat' ". "You will say, 'railroad' ". And so on. I missed a shitload of these. Don't laugh! The voice is not loud at all, and the word "ram" can sound like "dam" or "cam" <-- they can too!  taunt12.gif And the test for sibilants: "You will say, 'mist' ." <-- Yeah, I "mist" that one, too. :yes:

Then they went to them little beeps...

The nice Test Lady comes out after making those little beeps, looks at me and sez:

"I bet it is no surprise to you: you are DEEF in the higher registers. Severely so."

"Yowza," sez I.

"We have just the ticket. Siemens has a new, waterproof sooper hearing aid. It has a transmitter at the end of a wire that goes in yer ear. We will have a pair of them ready for you all set up for your exact requirements on March 28 at 0700 hours."

EVER kewl. That is FOUR THOUSAND BUCKS PLUS!!!!  <-- I was to lay this out today!!!

Then she said, "We want you to see another doctor on that day. Your disability percent very well might be raised to where you would receive a monthly payment." <-- that would be kewl.  :naughty:

I'm so glad you are getting squared away, Unca Walt!  Hopefully some of those costs will be covered for you.  :yes:

I'm so glad you are getting squared away, Unca Walt!  Hopefully some of those costs will be covered for you.  :yes:

The neat-io part of this, Holly, is that since this is service-connected (and documented by the military as such) -- 100% of ALL the costs are covered.

Rocky:  I will most rickytick see if the "new" VA will (now, for the fust time) toss me a dime or two for gettin' blowed up...

It is like finding a new bike under the Christmas tree.

Good Luck with that Walt. With the current economic situation they've been very astute at making sure they aren't paying what they DON'T have to pay. Be patient and persistant, you'll get what you deserve I believe.

Waaal... If'n I git whut I deserve, it'll be either nuffin' or a smack upside the head.

They tole me yestiddy the process will take about three months either way.

I hope it all goes well for you, Unca Walt.  My step father was able to get new hearing aids through the VA a couple of years ago and it has helped him out immensely.

Good luck.

My dad has COPD and he had to go to the VA in Huntington, WVa yesterday to get some help on his bronchitis.  If he'd quit smoking it would help, but he's 73 and says, "I've been smoking since I was 12, there's no point in quitting now!"

Holy Smokes!

Lookit the time. I am BACK from the VA! Have been for half an hour. (The sun is not even up yet!)

I can hear a butterfly fart in a cotton ball.

The nice audiologist lady set up a computer thingy to calibrate my new water-resistant, sooperdooper heary aids. Then she proceeded to gimme a quick hearing exam. GAWD. I never knew there were so many s's... sibilants... in this world.

It gits better! The VA has already put me in a system that means I will get a package inna mail in a few days. In the package will be hearing aid batteries. I have purchased the LAST battery ever. They tole me to not wait for the batteries to die, but simply change them every week. The package containing new ones will have an envelope. In the envelope will be an order for new batteries. Also, the radio speakers at the end of the tweeensy tinesy wire going into my ear have snap-on cups about the size of a pea.

Those also will be replaced the same way automatically (they are sooper-soft plastic, so they will wear out).

Each hearing aid has MULTIPLE SURROUND SOUND MICROPHONES (yes, plural). So instead of just having the sound come IN my ear like in any other hearing aid... it comes in directionally!!!!

YOWZA. Multiple microphones on each side... replete with electronic filtering to beef up wanted sounds, and minimize unwanted sounds <-- the computer in each aid figures it out. Wow. Gee. Ever kewl.

Happy face.

Here's a trick I learned from one of our group that when to Belize.  Whenever you are in a humid climate, like say Florida, keep your hearing aid batteries in a plastic bottle with moisture adsorbing packs from medicine bottles.  If you are unlike my household and don't get many of the packs in medicine bottles you can buy them.