-petrolium jelly

-6 tea light candles

-i think 320 paracord

-caps and DRY tindery stuff

-deoderent

-mini binoculars

-2 pack hand warms

-wire

-lil LED flashlight clip thing (not very good)

-old knife for making spear

-lil folding knife

On me

-Multitool

-knife

-clothes

ok anything you can think of?

Guest Lead Dog

Here are a few things that came to mind:

Compass: Use one with a baseplate that will work with standard USGS topo maps.

Food: Maybe add a couple candy or energy bars.  You don't need to prepare them and they offer quick carbs for the hike home.

Hat: While you may include this in "clothes" a good hat for the temps, sun, and precipitation is not to be overlooked.

Signal mirror

Tarp

Water bottle/canteen/water bladder

Water purifier (filter, iodine, etc.).

Whistle

Zip-Loc freezer bag: I keep a couple in the kit on my belt.  I can keep things dry in them and they double as a water container if I lose my daypack with my water bottles.

I also like to bring a camera (never know what you are going to see) and a tracking field guide with me.

we can't forget some duct tape  :grin:

are the trash bags black or clear? if you have the black ones i would change them for a clear one, they could be used for solar still.

for a solar still it does not matter what colour the bag is. It is the green house affect that makes the still work

IF you want you can pack a signal mirror but I would just use the inside lid of the pot to signal with if I had too.  That's a pretty well equipped pack you already have.  Good job.

Guest Lead Dog

are the trash bags black or clear? if you have the black ones i would change them for a clear one, they could be used for solar still.

Some things I've read recommend orange.  Better to be seen with if you are in a rescue scenario.

for a solar still it does not matter what colour the bag is. It is the green house affect that makes the still work

but wouldn't a black bag create shade and stop the sunlight/rays from getting through?

Guest Lead Dog

A black bag would attract heat better than a lighter- or clear-colored one.  Definitely important if you need to use the bag as an additional layer to trap body heat.

well for signaling a bright colored bag would definitely be better ... but for solar still i still say that clear bag is better ... look at all the greenhouses, they have clear panes of glass not tinted.

Skip the solar still idea.  It won't produce enough water to sustain you.  However, you can collect dew and rain with the bag. Fill it with leaves or pine needles, use it as a wind block, etc.

Instead of the cheaper mylar space blankets, get a sportsmans blanket.  Silver on one side and green on the other.  It is several times more efficient, larger, stronger, can be used to signal and can be used over and over again.

Knife for spear is OK, but have your hiking staff equipped with a slot and drilled with hardware attached ahead of time.

Add some untreated, natural 4ply Jute twine.  It's very inexpensive, strong and can be used for cordage and firestarter.

Toothpaste and brush are more valuable than deoderant.  It's OK to stink for awhile and using natural plants like pine, sage, mint and even smoke can help with that, but you need your teeth.

How large is your cooking gear?  Maybe just a SS or aluminum quart pot with lid and bail would work out better.  I've been doing just fine with a USGI canteen cup that holds a pint.  Takes awhile to boil enough water for hydration, but it works.

Water bottle?  Chemical treatment?  Filter system?  Water is your most needed item, but if it makes you sick, you're in major trouble.

If your water or something else give you the trots, do you have something to help control the situation?

Holly thats me lol i just carried all that along for 3 1/2 - 4hrs on Sunday through some pretty easy trails but some were pretty ruggad it did get a lil heavy on my left shoulder but otherwise i was fine

Guest Lead Dog

Heavy?  Do you need a Sherpa?  :D

If your shoulder bothered you, you need to repack your stuff.  You had more weight on one side of the pack.  You want it to feel even.  The heavier stuff should be near the top and center of the pack.

If you carried it over moderate ground for 3-4 hours and it got "a little heavy" rethink all that you are taking. Honestly. My BOB is quite heavy, but I have walked a long long way over rough terrain without discomfort. Of course I am carrying the main weight for myself and both my younger children.

I dont mean to sound like a jerk, it is just that if this is your BOB or Survival pack, you need it to be light enough that you can move fast and as easily as possible, and not having to rest all the time. It could mean the difference between getting to safty intact, or not at all.

Guest HazeyWolf

Well, he does have deoderant!!

Where 'ya going SK? Or, is this just a BOB?

Yah, SK - is this a BOB?  In anycase, I highly recommend you check out some of the Ultralight Backpacking sites online - you might find some good, inexpensive ideas.

A lot of soldiers and hikers use spray anti-perspirant on their feet to help prevent blisters, but if you're just trying to eliminate BO, try a salt crystal stone; you can break-off a small piece and it works ok... ( http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Naturel-Deodorant-Rock-Body/dp/B000CFGFBG/sr=1-8/qid=1162422373/ref=sr_1_8/102-0131589-8642541?ie=UTF8&s=hpc ) A small vial of scented oil can go a long way too, if a smoke bath isn't an option.  I have a small bottle of herbal shaving oil that does the trick...

Regarding other aspects of hygiene, the legendary "Ass-Rag" is a somewhat gross alternative to consider if you don't carry TP... Maybe a small pack of hygienic, antibiotic personal handy wipes would be a good substitute - you can bath with them and even wash your hair with them.

You can get a good, light-weight compass for under $20 US... My current favorite is the Suunto M-3G - it's light weight, has an adjustible declination screw, multiple map scales, clear and base plate with rubber pads to keep it stable on a map, and works anywhere on the planet (http://www.amazon.com/Suunto-M-3G-Global-Compass/dp/B000FEXZHQ).  But if you don't foresee needing the global feature, an adjustible declination Silva, Brunton, or a Suunto model like the $18 Suunto M-2D should work great for you... http://www.thecompassstore.com/51m2d.html .

Have you tried making an aluminum can/alcohol stove like Alan Halcon's model?  A small can stove and tiny bottle of denatured alcohol are a good portable cooking solution if an open fire isn't an option.

Consider a folded N-95 or 100 mask?  Eye protection and some water-proofed heavy-duty gloves? Water-proof shoes?

Seems like you definately need some water purification and water containers - I like the collapsible nalgene canteens, a bit of surgical tubing, and iodine crystals as ultralite solutions.

-folding shovel (Consider a small, sharpened hand trowel)

-2 packs ramen (not enough food - try a super dense, pemican like food bar)

-poncho (you can use this as a ground cover or tarp, though some Tyvec sheeting may also be a good addition - if you used the poncho, does it have grommets to attach paracord too?)

-emergancy blankey (the standard emergency blankets aren't very durable - don't count on more than one use)

-aluminum cooking pans (I'd go with one small pot, or a coffe can, maybe a cup in addition)

-2 trash bags (make them heavy duty! - like a "contractors grade"  2.5 mil bags...)