WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Watcherofthewoods

My gear tell me what im missing

Hey SK ... here's Alan's site with the directions ... if you get stuck on anything let me know and i'll be more then happy to clear things up for you ;) also you have to be VERY VERY careful when doing this, it's easy to cut yourself when you're not careful  ;)

Halcon Stove

Guest HazeyWolf

Just as a ref. this is what I carry.

http://www.wildsurvive.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,73/topic,141.0

BTW spend the money and get a global compass. The extra degrees of deflection helps alot.

Thanks for linking your excellent post and gear pics, AdrenJunky... just out of curiosity, I notice you have listed 3 med containers (Motrin, aspirin, benedrill, Imodium)... do you think Cipro or Zithromax is a worth procuring for a BOB or emergency med-kit?  I've had cipro, zithromax, or penicillin and some opioid pain meds packed in the past, though they do all require a presecription.  Please note that I am by no means advising that SK or any minor seek out or use dangerous, prescription only medication... but it may be a consideration for adults and parents to have on hand...

Also, regarding your bivy sack; do you find that its breathable enough with the venting design? Not that gortex or tyvec is particularly breathable either- I find they can still be very humid... Of course, those cheap heavy-duty garbage bags will work to keep wind and water at bay, and add insulation an emergency -  and they're noisy and humid too, but also more difficult to get comfortable in  http://www.equipped.com/shelter.htm.  I have a Land Shark Emergency Bag, but I've never spent the entire night in it... I think that a good bivy can make a great, lightweight shelter, especially if one has a small, light-weight sleeping pad or a fleece sleep sack and a pad.  If you don't have the time, energy, or material to insulate you from the ground (even while sitting) you might consider a small pad as well...

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Pads%20and%20Air%20Mattresses/Insul%20Mat%20Uber-Lite/Owner%20Review%20by%20Brett%20Costley/

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Pads%20and%20Air%20Mattresses/Therm-a-Rest%20Ridge%20Rest%20pad/Owner%20Review%20by%20Joshua%20Esteves/ - you can cut the Ridgerests down to a small size; just enough to for your torso and head... just use your bag or extra clothing under you legs.  Another lightweight, portable sleep aid is an inexpensive, compact nylon hammock (and possibly a mosquito net)...

A super compact fleece sleep sack or bag liner could be another good addition, if your cloths aren't warm enough and natural insulation isn't available... there are even some that have zippered openings on the sides to allow free arm movement.  A breathable bivy, microfleece bag, and mini-pad are all ultralight gear - and not essential to a survival kit or BOB, and while they do add some weight and take up space - they can be good additions to a comfortable ultralight pack suitable for camping or short-term survival.

Guest adrenjunky

Hazey- This is what I carry as a BOB, daypack, emergency pack or what ever else you want to call it. I picked the items due to weight, multi purpose, and need. Do I like to carry big meds, no. Why, I guess I feel that if I got myself into some stupid thing I will have to put up with it for a while. I have on multiple nights just taken this bag and it was fine. Is the bag breathable, nope, but it does keep you warm (one night at 10 along with the tarp).

Now on longer trips and travels most of the bag stays home and I have a completely diff. kit. This includes medical, although more people hurt themselves with drugs rather than help due to improper usage.

So why don't I carry comfort items. I guess, I feel I can make a comfy be with natural materials that also help keep you warm and I really like fire.  :hugegrin:

When I go backpacking I want to get a hammock, due to weight space and no need for a pad (even lighter).

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=12304729&parent_category_rn=40003488&vcat=searchnav

As it is 0400 I hope that makes sense. :yawn:

no  if you have food and are hungre bne hikinh  EAT then you will iave a enery boost bnd hike longer.

hello survivor kid....

sounds like you have alot of gear there and some good advice for packing it,,,

did you remember to bring a "friend"?

"one who goes to the bush alone to learn, ,will learn a little,, however,,,,,,,,, one who brings a friend learns alot!"

................bow 2006

bow