WildSurvive Forum

I set out on the local railroad tracks this past Wednesday. Day off, no direction, destination or agenda. Drizzly day.

P3230052.jpg

P3230053.jpg

P3230054.jpg

I spotted these bulges in some pine tree and wondered if they would make a decent kindling as they were loose and up off the ground.

P3230056.jpg

P3230058.jpg

Possible fatwood source. The BK11 is on top for scale

P3230061.jpg

P3230063.jpg

Interesting. A big pine limb had broken loose and had caught in some lower limbs. All the resin has pooled at the bottom.

P3230064.jpg

P3230065.jpg

Coming back, the tracks had begun to flood.

P3230106.jpg

I haven't looked to see what these are yet.

P3230109.jpg

Break time. My little cook kit.

P3230113.jpg

I went through 3 cotton balls, two ferro rods all the crappy wood that I had gathered before I finally got fire.

P3230114.jpg

I went out Thursday to get the kinks out of my legs. You can't tell in the pictures but there are snow flurries. The dark spots in the road are wild turkeys.

P3240119.jpg

P3240121.jpg

It pays to keep your eyes open. Nice dry off the ground grass bundles.

P3240123.jpg

P3240124.jpg

Pine trees in lichens.

P3240129.jpg

P3240131.jpg

I spotted this bulge in the tree and pried off a little bark to see if there was any sap. No enough to be worth bashing up a good tree.

P3240132.jpg

P3240135.jpg

P3240141.jpg

I gave up and went home. maybe the stuff was still damp but again nothing would burn.  :fart:

P3240142.jpg

P3240143.jpg

P3240144.jpg

P3240146.jpg

Lesson learned. I really need to clean my kitchen.

awsome pics muddy, making me jealous. ill be getting out tomorrow with the scouts so ill get my fix. keep up the good work with the fire stuff. thanks for the pics.

there also the easyest tracks to follow :hugegrin:

~ they are around here...  because in just another month, I'm not goinna be able to Walk through the woods without a machete! LOL  I am SO Taking some pics of some GA undergrowth.

It's funy you said that about the tracks. I swamped out my Peterson field book on wild plants for my Peterson field book on animal tracks and ended spending twenty minutes trying to follow some shoe prints near the track bed. I found a waded up Kleenex along the track line.

did you find any scat? :hugegrin:

I did. Coyote or some large carnivore. It had large clumps of fur and was still moist inside. I found something else with corn in it. I've been marking and dating the scat piles on my GPS. 

It's funy you said that about the tracks. I swamped out my Peterson field book on wild plants for my Peterson field book on animal tracks and ended spending twenty minutes trying to follow some shoe prints near the track bed. I found a waded up Kleenex along the track line.

Are you sure you weren't tracking yourself?  :hugegrin:

The swamp grass is Phragmites sometimes miss pronounced flags that some thought they heard. Actually they here phrags for short.. Great prairie grass shelter material used heavily by native Americans.

Good looking area. Looks like the four wheeler boys have found it. There should be fish in that stream especially where the current is stronger as it comes out from under that bridge.

Wild turkeys are breeding about now so the gobblers strut in the open like on that trail.

Thanks for the effort posting all those pics.  :thumbup: