WildSurvive Forum

The swamp grass is Phragmites sometimes miss pronounced flags that some thought they heard. Actually they here phrags for short.. Great prairie grass shelter material used heavily by native Americans.

Good looking area. Looks like the four wheeler boys have found it. There should be fish in that stream especially where the current is stronger as it comes out from under that bridge.

Thanks for the info on the swamp grass. Funny story about the 4 wheelers. The area adjacent to the tracks is chest deep swamp. About five years years ago I came into the swamp on the far side and waded across. I came stumbling out onto the same tracks that are in the first picture covered in mud and bloody scratches. I scared the hell out of some poor kid who was riding his ATV down the tracks.      

The swamp grass is Phragmites sometimes miss pronounced flags that some thought they heard. Actually they here phrags for short.. Great prairie grass shelter material used heavily by native Americans.

Good looking area. Looks like the four wheeler boys have found it. There should be fish in that stream especially where the current is stronger as it comes out from under that bridge.

Wild turkeys are breeding about now so the gobblers strut in the open like on that trail.

Thanks for the effort posting all those pics.  :thumbup:

~ Why Mr. Swede...  :smoke:  Sometimes your Wisdom is just downright compelling...  :P :arigato:

Smokin' Joe's fishing camp is hidden in the trees on the other side of the pond. I met Joe last year. He introduced himself and told me that he liked to camp out here. He asked me if I wanted to join him for lunch. Lunch being the dead squirrels he had trapped and was carrying on a stick. I declined.

P3310213.jpg

P3310214.jpg

P3310215.jpg

First time I've seen coyote scat this close to the developed area.

P3310218.jpg

There are three wld turkey just to the left of the tree with the yellow sign.

P3310222.jpg

P3310225.jpg

Golf course. People get mad when they ask my golf handicap and I tell them it's the little windmill.

P3310226.jpg

P3310227.jpg

This might fit on my ferro rod.

P3310231.jpg

I was going to make char cloth but it was cold so I went home. Don't make char cloth at home.

My tin of char cloth and the tactical spatula.

P3310232.jpg

P3310233.jpg

P3310235.jpg

I tried lighting the cotton balls and then closing the tin. Didn't work. It just snuffed out.

P3310238.jpg

Thar 'tis

P3310241.jpg

Whistlin' the Andy Griffith Show theme song. On the tracks head south.

P4070066.jpg

Spikes. Useful for all sorts of things.

P4070070.jpg

Not sure if this bamboo or just big marsh reeds.

P4070075.jpg

P4070076.jpg

Great shots Muddy. The leaves on the plants do resemble bamboo but the stems look different. It is pretty far north for bamboo but it grows in the mountains so its not impossible.

Thanks for your efforts.  :arigato:

Muddy Pete, these are wonderful pictures!  I have always loved railroad tracks.  There is something magical about them.  :yes:

Muddy, you have inspired me.  On Sunday afternoon, I took a walk about part of the section where I live.  Found a couple of interesting rocks, one I want to try to make into the top part of my fire bow.  Also found a 5 gallon bucket, then proceeded to pick up a bunch of trash that had blown into the fence line along with some beer and pop cans I found.  Also, picked up an empty dogfood bag. It would make a nice ground cover or sleeping mat (stuffed full of grass and stuff as needed).  Also, found a big blue inflatable ball that got away some some of the neighbor kids.  Got to thinking that if I needed to cross a river or lake, this would be a perfect swimming raft - just hold on to it and kick.

Besides, it was a great day for a walk.

~ OFG, there's this elderly man who lives somewhere near me, but every single morning he's out walking, and he carries a huge sack and a long stick that has a claw on the end of it that picks stuff up! He keeps our road so clean and neat looking. I guess he figures he's out walking, so he might as well do something productive along the way. I think it's cool that you picked up stuff along the way that somebody was thoughtless enough to toss out.  :thumbup:  It's like blessing your environment.  :yes:  Very Zen... 

It was interesting as well, to look at the stuff laying about and think of ways it could be put to use if needed.

It was interesting as well, to look at the stuff laying about and think of ways it could be put to use if needed.

~ I KNOW ..... that's what made it so "zen-like"  to look at something ordinary and think of a different way to use it is highly creative.  :arigato:

Thanks everyone. My days hikes are expanding into all day hikes. I'm actually in better shape now at 40 then I was at 25. I'm eating better, my back doesn't creak, and I'm starting to see definition in my leg muscles. Road hiking is it's own adventure full of do's and do nots. After last Wednesday, I'm strictly taking a multitool and nothing else.

I'm having fun and learning stuff and glad to bring you along for the trip. 

Wednesday. I checked out another area further up the track. This is the only Birch I've seen in the south part of the state. This one stretch of track is full of it.

P5040150.jpg

This is the area around Tuckahoe, NJ. I been past it on the highway many times but had not been in the town itself.

P5040152.jpg

P5040153.jpg

P5040155.jpg

I wanted to look inside the rusty box cars but that creepy feeling came over me so I moved on.

P5040154.jpg

P5040156.jpg

Yesterday.

P5050165.jpg

The spoon from my Bumble bee tuna pack. I'm going to drill a hole in the handle so it can go on my keychain and make it my EDC Spatula.  :P

P5050179.jpg