WildSurvive Forum

North Wildwood is across the channel. I've considered swimming across and going to the boardwalk. But then I would have to get back again

~ that beach reminds me of the opening scene in the movie JAWS...... 

(not to be confused with the opening scene in the movie Snakehead Terror)  :P

The end of the island is about a mile from the last street. It's pretty empty even at this time of year. 

The end of the island is about a mile from the last street. It's pretty empty even at this time of year. 

~ All the more reason to grab that strainer you found, and look for cool tidal pool ecosystem creatures!

I hiked out to wetlands on the Delaware bay this morning. Squishy puddles to wade through. The puddles were full of little fiddler crabs.

P7130001.jpg

P7130002.jpg

P7130003.jpg

P7130004.jpg

P7130006.jpg

P7130011.jpg

The fiddler crabs were crawling up the mud embankement and then burowing into the mud. A Dept. of Fish & Game officer came along and I asked him why they burrowed. His answer was that they live here. In other words he didn't know.

P7130009.jpg

P7130010.jpg

~ I know hermit crabs bury themselves too...  they do it to keep their gills wet, and to escape the hot sun, here's what I found out about fiddlers:

"The burrows provide privacy for mating, sleeping and "hibernating" during the winter months. Fiddlers also burrow into the sand to escape from predators and abandon their temporary burrow once the danger has passed. During high tide, fiddler crabs pack sand into the entrance to their burrows and wait until the tides goes down again. Sand or mud pellets "sprinkled" around the opening of a crab burrow means that a crab lives there."

They Mate from June through August, and it said that the males did a hole, and at night the females come by and the male stands by his burrow, if the female likes it, she goes on in and they have crab sex....   :smoke:  (well it didn't say it in the exact words that I said it.)

~ The males dig a hole, and at night the females come by and the male stands by his burrow, if the female likes it, she goes on in and they have crab sex....  :smoke:  (well it didn't say it in the exact words that I said it.)

And I tried flowers and being a good listener.

The tea strainer was some treasure seeker with a metal detectors equipment.

~ next time, just try digging a hole and see if a girl comes along and acts interested in it.

If she does, crab sex! AWW YEAH!!

I went to the Wildwood boardwalk this morning. It was nice out today. A lot cooler then it's been for the past few days. I parked on the south end of the boardwalk.

P7140001.jpg

There were a lot of cyclists on the boardwalk. It was like walking into oncoming traffic. At 1100 the PA came on and asked us to pause for the playing of the National Anthem.  

P7140002_01.jpg

Long way to the water. It's not just a beach vacation, it's a trek across the desert.

P7140003.jpg

P7140004.jpg

Looks like a low-humidity day, Muddy Pete!  The air is so crisp and clear!  I love days like that.  My most favorite time of year to go the beach is in October.  The water is still really warm, the heat isn't so stifling, and the skies are that deep, Carolina Blue. 

Can you tell I'm a bit homesick?  :grin:

WW convention center. WWE wrestling is here this weekend!

P7140005.jpg

P7140006.jpg

P7140007.jpg

This is one of the famous Wild Wood tram cars. They have a prerecorded messege blaring "Watch the tram car please". It's a kind of running joke phrase down here.

P7140008.jpg

Rocky's Mother in law!

P7140009.jpg

P7140010.jpg

P7140012.jpg

It only took me an hour to reach the north end of the boardwalk so I decided to eat my way back.

P7140015.jpg

Years ago this was the site of Castle Dracula. Castle Dracula was a dungeon boat ride and had a walk through upper area. Castle Dracula mysteriously burned to the ground a few years back.

P7140016.jpg

I found a video game I actually knew how to play and it still only cost a quarter.

P7140017.jpg

P7140021.jpg

P7140025.jpg

P7140027.jpg

I've always wanted to try this ride. You get to drive around in the little gunboat and shoot rubber balls at the cage.

P7140028.jpg

P7140029.jpg