WildSurvive Forum

~ Are y'all ready to hike in MY Neck of the woods?  :smoke:  This is where we enter in.  :P  

excuse me if I don't have a lot of pics of that endeavor, but it took both hands. I actually KNOW where I am going. I've been to this place several times. My Biology 102 teacher took us here in college. There's a Floodplain area through this thicket. I used to be scared to go to places like this, but then I began to realize that nobody who wants to rob me and kill me hangs out in places like this.  :nono:  You can obviously see that even though you guys are freezing (In places) my part of the country is coming alive with undergrowth. I can only get through here in Early spring or Winter (but in Winter it's just ugly)  Early Spring though is magical.  :hugegrin:  Before the rain starts making it actually turn into a foot deep swamp.

goingin.jpg

~ This place is behind a small place of business on the outskirts of town, in a pretty remote Industrial Park...  (nobody was working there today.) So I had to park, and then walk through this  pretty dense thicket (which by Summertime... I wouldn't EVEN attempt) You'd need a freakin' machete to get through this area.  :thumbdown:

When you come out on the other side of this dense thicket, I find a point of reference to mark my way out to where my car is... I used this flowering dogwood as my point of reference.  :thumbup:  Sorry some of these are a bit out of focus, but I had my dog in my other hand and he is constantly yanking on me. I always let him lead me through places like this because he can spot snakes and stuff way better than I can.  :thumbup:

dogwoodexit.jpg

creeke.jpg

This whole area is low and it's near a creek that often overflows during the Spring and Summer. So the vegetation is limited to only those things that can take having their roots wet for a week at a time or more.

~ VERY Dry... Very punky....  (Lite as a feather)  only it rained on me, so I don't know if it's still dry now.

Giggity. It may be dry on the inside. In the center.

Did you try your GPS out on your trip? ???

~ I always take it with me, Dave. I mark where my car is ... just in case my ADD self gets turned around. LOL....  But honestly this spot is only about thirty yards off the back of a parking lot in an industrial park... through a dense thicket. I knew my way out. My Dog carries my stuff. He's got a backpack on him. I make him haul stuff. I would've gotten a pic of him, but he's NEVER still. They all came out blurry. Kind of  like this pic.... you can see when Waco lunges ahead when I'm taking a pic.  :thumbdown:  Waco has given me courage to go places like this on my own. He's my Soul Mate.... only in dog form. LOL!

stickss.jpg

damn, ofg beat me, i was going to say crawdad hole. if the wood is dry and punky it will work good to use to get a coal from friction. just from the pics  i am thinking your best bet for tinder is from still standing dead trees or last years anuals plants that might still be standing. i think i saw some chickweed in one picture, good to eat, not tasty by any means but food none the less. i saw some flox, its full of soapasin. you can crush it in your hands and mix with water to get suds that will help wash your hands. other than that its hard to really see the plants.