WildSurvive Forum
razor sharp

natural tinder for spark and friction based fire starting

So it took the spark?

~ YES! I used my mag/flint firestarter, and honestly it went up so fast that I couldn't grab my camera in time to take a pic when the flames were high...  it went up super fast.  :thumbup: I have NO Idea why this pic is small, I cannot enlarge it. I so need a camera.  :glare:  But what I learned is that the more you work it, and break it up in your hands and turn it into nest-like material... the better it holds the magnesium flakes and the faster it ignites.

fireinbowl.jpg

When you use your camera (if you did) you have your pixels set too high. Thats why your having trouble in Image shack with too large of a picture.

Your cell phone is set for thumb nail pictures. Im not sure if there's an adjustment for that. Its faster to email thumb nails.

When you use your camera (if you did) you have your pixels set too high. Thats why your having trouble in Image shack with too large of a picture.

Your cell phone is set for thumb nail pictures. Im not sure if there's an adjustment for that. Its faster to email thumb nails.

~ I take all my pics with my phone.... I don't adjust anything. I Just hit the button. Some of them come out and it says "image too large to upload" and some of them dont. Some of them I never can get to load on imageshack. Some of them I can never get my phone to send to my email.

I probably need a camera.

Taken, I've been having a lot of problems with imageshack too.  I got a couple pop up viruses from them and they only will host like a third of my pictures.  I've been using photobucket and it works twenty times better.

~ the other stuff I used is "andropogon virginicus"  AKA Broom sedge, or Whiskey Grass, it's one of the first weeds to start taking over vacant lots around here.

I found it in one of my National Audubon books of the Southeastern U.S. those books are a great reference.  :thumbup:  They have them for all parts of the U.S.

As kids we would use kite string to tie bundles of broom sedge to thatch the sides and roofs of our 'hideouts/clubhouses'.  Got good enough at it to make waterproof roofs.

Nice tutorial Razor, and nice follow-up Taken.  Good overall sequence - Learned by one, taught to others, learned by one...

Good to be back and see that things haven't been idle while I was gone.

Steve

Hello Swede!  Heading out to the forest in a few minutes to coax in a gobbler, maybe, or more likely to put razor's tinder-tenderizing ideas to good practice.  Good to be back.

great job taken your my insperation yeah you go girl  :pray:

~ Awwww.... you're so sweet, Kim.  :hug:  I guess razor sharp set off a chain reaction kinda spark that caught fire, and spread to others.  :yes:

Great post RS, Cedar bark is a favorite of mine and we have lots of it here.

Good job Taken. Ya know a small stainless cup is a good idea anyway in case you need to boil water or something, but you'll eventually learn to use your body or clothing in conjunction with another object like a tree or big rock to block the wind,  or even build a small wind break of some sort.

firstpictinder.jpg

I think that is what you guys call Red hot Fire Poker but the photo aint great.

I think that is what you guys call Red hot Fire Poker but the photo aint great.

Sorry I think i got the wrong plant, I think you call it fire weed. We call it Rosebay willowherb

Sorry I think i got the wrong plant, I think you call it fire weed. We call it Rosebay willowherb

I've never had a name for it...but the tops make great tinder. It was the first thing my brother tried when I gave him and LMF firesteel a couple of years ago.

i found out how good nettles worked when i was trying to make natural cordage when i was about 16-17. i was having a lot of trouble making string that i just wadded up the stalk i was working on and threw it down. later i was getting ready to make a fire and couldnt find anything i thought would make good tinder. i saw the little bundle laying there and picked it back up. i started to rub it in my hands and the woody stuff started sepperating. thats when i got the whole birds nest thing. i dropped a coal in it from my drill and got fire in seconds. i never used a fire steel or spark till i was about 30. love my strikeforce.