WildSurvive Forum
razor sharp

natural tinder for spark and friction based fire starting

it's been raining for the last 2 or 3 monthes now so not really in a survival mood because everything is wet 8|

~ Kim, you live in a dismal place for somebody who may have seasonal mood disorder...   I wish you could be in the sun more.  :console:

This Thread is all about Power over the elements. I have been a student for a long time, Kim,  and I know my teachers when I meet them. Only, in real life, it is not always as dramatic as the movies make it out to be. I would never expect to stare at a pile of tinder and have it burst into flame. but the magic is ever present. Teachers never come in the form that you would imagine... nor do their lessons,  :arigato:   but Nature brings them to those who seek balance.  :thumbup:

Mists of Avalon - Loreena McKennitt

I'm sure that "Parting the Mists" is not going to be the dramatic event that this movie portrays either, but will involve a lot of patience, skill, and work.... like all of the other teachings have been. One thing I know for certain, though, is that I AM going to be able to do it. In every way, I am "of" the lady of the Lake lineage, and the mists of Avalon.  ;)  I've known it from my first memories.

, I am "of" the lady of the Lake lineage, and the mists of Avalon.  ;)  I've known it from my first memories.

So you speak Somersetshire like me then. This winter I will head home and take some photos of the mists of Avalon just for you Taken!

I thought Avolon was a myth

I only had a few good teachers in my life I count Les stroud as one of them and the people here  :thumbup:

~ if you work your tinder right, you don't need Magnesium flakes at all, just a spark and it ignites. (That's what I've learned since then.) Fluffy stuff works best. Where I live (In the South) that's tall grass/weed plumes they bloom like crazy all over the place here in the fall.

I've been playing with fire today. I walked up the road and snapped off the tops of feathery plumage. The more you play the more you learn.

~ if you work your tinder right, you don't need Magnesium flakes at all, just a spark and it ignites. (That's what I've learned since then.) Fluffy stuff works best. Where I live (In the South) that's tall grass/weed plumes they bloom like crazy all over the place here in the fall.

I've been playing with fire today. I walked up the road and snapped off the tops of feathery plumage. The more you play the more you learn.

:arigato: the student becomes the teacher.

Cat tails are awesome. Even before they bloom you can pull them apart to get the fluff out. You're right, there is a lot of god fluffy stuff in the south. Lol

i like breaking off the stem, sticking them in the ground and lighting the tops. they burn slowly and smell kind of like incense but they do a great job of keeping the skeeters away for a bit. depending on there size they can last 10-20 minuts.