WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Holly

Carp Fishing in England

OMG...fishing in England is TOTALLY different from the fishing I've been used to in North Carolina.  For one thing, the fish are MUCH bigger over here, because everyone "catches and releases" their fish and the fish grow to enormous sizes!  :woot:

carpfishing4op470x355.jpg

Ant is an avid fisherman, and he is really excited to be taking me carp fishing for the first time this upcoming weekend.  He was so excited about it, he gave me my birthday presents three weeks early.  :rofl:  He bought me a complete set-up for carp fishing...everything from the poles and reels and fishing line and tackle to all the waterproof carrybags for the bedchair, bivvy tent thingey, rod holders, a snood, a net, a weighing scale, and some funny looking cone things to stuff full of carp food to attract them to my fishing area.  And I'm thrilled that all my gear is either in my favorite color (green) or it's in camouflage!  :woot:  How cool is that?  :thumbsup: 

I don't mean to brag, (yes, I do!  :whistle:  :grin:) but I have the BEST husband in the world!  :thumbsup:

That carp over here is called a Buffalo. You can tell by the lack of scales. Also its a female because of its wide sides. The males are longer and narrower. That one would be too big to eat but scored Buffalo in this country are mighty tasty.

Buffalo are known to grow larger that other carp.There are several subspecies of carp.This may be a Plated Carp also.

http://www.catchphotorelease.com/suckerfish.htm

To be honest, I thought carp fishing was as simple as baiting a hook and throwing it out into the water, similar to what I did on the lakes in North Carolina.  NOT!  Evidently, you can't fish for carp unless you have the following basic items:

Bivvy.  Especially necessary during night fishing.  You are supposed to get into your sleeping bag and sit on your bedchair inside your bivvy, dozing lightly until you hear the fish alarms going off.  Then you jump up, and immediately fall over because you are still inside your sleeping bag. 

bivvy.jpg

Bedchair.  This is relatively comfortable, but I'll probably be my usual "Princess and The Pea" self and will need lots of padding and blankets and a thick sleeping bag.  :grin:

bedchair.jpg

12-ft long fishing rods.  These are SO long, you have to get a special rod holder to rest the rods on.  And since you aren't holding the rod, you have to get special fish alarms that beep when the line runs through them.  And in order to tell if the fish is swimming toward you or away from you (I haven't figured out why that makes a difference yet) you need a special weighted hanger that goes up if the fish is coming or down if it's going...I think...:unsure:

vxrrods1.jpg

matrix3patriotpodlrg.jpg

Hummm here you just put a gob of dew worms on a hook and cast it out there. If a big carp grabs it he will drag your pole and all into the water if you dont grab it.You can make some dough balls.>

http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/doughballrecipes.html

Apparently Ant is "Mister Equipment" when it comes to carp fishing.   :woot:    We just use a forked stick stuck into the ground. Like this  " Y "  only longer.

Swede, I'm with you on that one, but Ant LOVES fishing and he loves gadgets and gear as much as I do!  :woot:  :love:  :rofl:

You should see all the gear he bought me.  He was like a little kid waiting for my reaction as I opened each box.  By the time I lug all this stuff to our fishing spot at the lake, I'll be ready to climb in my bedchair and go to sleep!  :grin:   

He has to take his two hearing aids with him when he goes fishing.  Especially if I'll be in the bivvy tent, snoring my head off.  :rofl:

We went to the tackle shop here in town yesterday and I made the mistake of looking in the cooler next to the counter.  There was a whole tub of live maggots about half a foot deep, blindly squirming around.  I was totally grossed out!  :puke:

He has to take his two hearing aids with him when he goes fishing.  Especially if I'll be in the bivvy tent, snoring my head off.  :rofl:

~ Do carp only eat at night?  My Koi, and Goldfish, are nothing but fancy colored types of Carp, and they eat at all hours of the day and night...  :P 

We went to the tackle shop here in town yesterday and I made the mistake of looking in the cooler next to the counter.  There was a whole tub of live maggots about half a foot deep, blindly squirming around.  I was totally grossed out!  :puke:

~ NO!!!!!!!!!!    :scared: scared011.gif   OMG!  There's NO way I could fish with THOSE things.   :upset:      :nono:    I would have nightmares for a month after seeing THAT.  scared011.gif

I'm not sure why most people here like to fish at night, but it seems that most of the guys over here do.  Maybe it's an old English custom that started back in the medieval times.  The men knew their wives would check the local pubs first, so they went fishing instead, so the wives couldn't find them.  Either that, or they were poaching off the King's land and could only do it at night and it became a tradition.

I love making stuff up like that!  :P

I'm not sure why most people here like to fish at night, but it seems that most of the guys over here do.  Maybe it's an old English custom that started back in the medieval times.  The men knew their wives would check the local pubs first, so they went fishing instead, so the wives couldn't find them.  Either that, or they were poaching off the King's land and could only do it at night and it became a tradition.

I love making stuff up like that!  :P

~ Maybe they worked their asses off during the day, and night time was the only time they could fish...  (hence the fish alarm invention.)  :unsure:

We went to the tackle shop here in town yesterday and I made the mistake of looking in the cooler next to the counter.  There was a whole tub of live maggots about half a foot deep, blindly squirming around.  I was totally grossed out!  :puke:

~  NO!  :scared: scared011.gif  that would f*ck me up for LIFE if I saw something like that!    :cry:

You must really love that man, that would've been a deal breaker right there for me! .... lol

I'll definitely take pictures!  I would be SO thrilled if I caught one of those monster fish! 

~  Holly, I responded to your "M" word post, and the forum ATE it!  scared011.gif  Why is it eating my posts!  :cry:

What happened to it?  :scared: