WildSurvive Forum

A lot has been written about "the 10 essentials" for wilderness travel. If you take a college course in Outdoor Recreation, the topic will arrise during your 1st year. If you join the Boy Scouts, you will always pack you "10 essentials". Google "10 Essentials" and you'll likely come up with hundreds of hits - books, lectures, lists, courses, etc.

When I bring a group out for either a day hike, or 2 week expedition, this is what I suggest participants "must have" in their gear:

A map of the area

A compass

A flashlight with extra batteries/bulb

Extra food and water

Extra clothing, including rain gear, and hat

Sunglasses and sunscreen

A pocketknife

Matches or lighter in a waterproof container

A candle or other emergency fire starter

A first aid kit

Yup, nothing high tech or sexy, just the basics.

How would you alter this list?

Guest Lead Dog

Is it safe to assume "extra food" includes water?

I was going to say Water needs seem to have been left out.  Of course, knowing that there is water available where you will be and that there are available things to scrouge that would let you carry, as well as filter and boil, keeps you ahead of the game.  However, things can change fast depending on circumstances.  In our area, an earthquake can foul available water sources, or eliminate them completely.  So having fresh water when I start out is important, as is having a few tools to help make the available water potable. 

Damn!! I cut and pasted that list from my documents and somehow "and water" never made the move. Sorry!!

I have edited it back on to my list.

But, then comes the question: Where are you going and what are you doing?

If you're going canoeing or kayaking, or out for a hike in the Arizona desert, you'll want those sunglasses! Likewise, they're essential gear if you're out in the open on a sunny winter day - like in the mountains or open prairies where sun-glare of the snow can literally blind you.

Yeh, the TP is one I waffle back-and-forth on. If I'm the group leader, especially on a day hike, I usually carry a sanitary bag for the group. When I'm alone, its on my list.

As for water.... the same as above - If I have a group, I'll have either a filter or iodine tabs for the group but, if I'm alone then I usually have tabs on me.

Good point, I think it always depends on where you are going and what you are doing.  I think alot of the time we just think about where we are.  For me, I am in the woods.  Mostly shaded, so sun glasses aren't a big deal, most of the time.  But you are right in some situations, they are VERY neccessary.

Yeah, I'd take TP and a good edged tool over sunglasses, but I consider sunprotection to be high on my shelter needs and sunglasses fall into the category quite well.  They weigh nothing, so they would get included, along with at least 2 hats and they would vary depending on time of year.

Sunglasses or safty glasses make my top ten for sure. They are a must have. I would take them even over a hat to be honest. I have been thru too many surprize wind storms here in New England to think that I wont get my eyes damaged without some form of protection. Even if it isnt sunny, the wind can make you blind very quickly.

For my top ten I would say:

1) good knife (Leatherman, SAK or fixed blade)

2) flashlight (or two with batteries)

3) Extra layer of clothes to go over whatever I have on

4) Compass and Map

5) weather radio

6) firestarting items (lighter, matches)

7) Poncho or tarp

8) spare footwear

9) FAK (ALWAYS!!!!)

10) cordage of some sort.

Shades are needed in almost in all weather conditions along with head covering part of a dress code just like pants/shirts/shoes, just a given.

items that are basics: (age/skill relavent)

1: axe...hatchet or bush knife

2: firestarter kit.. ferro rods, matches, tinder

3: compass with topo (if available)

4: substantial poncho not "E" style

5: cordage

6: first aid kit

7: small flashlight..spare bulb/batt

8: trail ration..water/canteen/purifying tablets

9: good knife (folding/fixed (med/small))

10: day pack to carry it all

Should have a change of socks at least though

Poncho/tarp

Cordage

Firestarting kit w/tinder

FAK

Compass w/maps

Water (canteen, cup, cover, purification)

Edged tools (4" fixed blade, SAK)

Flashlight w/extra batt

Poke parched & ground corn

Rucksack

I agree with having extra socks, but wool washes out real nice if extras aren't available.  ;)

BB i would agree with you as must have items for each member of a group

I would say a fixed blade knife.

A bivi bag breathable or emergency.

Depending on conditions a sleeping bag.

Toilet paper is always something that is overlooked.

Guest adrenjunky

My 10 essentials where I live.

1. Knife

2. Space All-Weather Blanket/Tarp

3. Firesteel Army

4. Wetfire Tinder

5. Gortex Rainsuit

6. Leatherman Wave

7. Compass

8. Map of area

9. My eyes (glasses or contacts)

10. Food & water

Now If I could only take one thing, I'd take my camelbak which has all of this and more.

Depending on the season:

1. On person items: Proper clothing, layers and rain poncho, hat and glasses.

2. Sharp straight blade.

3. Multi-tool.

4. Tarp - foiled backed space blanket style.

5. Paracord - minimum strength of 500 pounds.

6. Metal pan. Multiple uses: water, food, scooping, fire, etc.

7. Tissue Paper.

8. First-Aid Kit - has fire starting gear in it already.

9. Water - Food.

10. Signaling device (whistle).

my items:

10 Essentials

1. Hat

2. Space All-Weather Blanket/Tarp

3. Fire Staring Kit

4. Tinder

5. Change of clothes

6. Pocket  knife

7. Compass

8.  100 ft. Paracord

9. Glasses

10. Food & water

BTW Whats a/an FAK ??

Guest taken by the wind...

I'd add toilet paper because I'm not sharing mine.  that's a survival item.  Ditch the sunglasses for it.

~  8|  what if I needed some really bad!  :err:  You'd STILL say no?  :unsure:

All good items, I purchased a canteen "pot" that basically your mil-spec canteen fits in so it doesnt take up any space, and you can boil or cook in it. Bear Grylls has one just like it, the canteen cover fits around both and they tie to my belt. I got mine at an army surplus shop for $6. It has no leaks, and some dents, but is reg issue. There are fake ones on the market, you can tell a real one by the clasp that ties down the folding handle. Reg issue is made from a different stronger metal, not "tinny". The knockoffs have that clasp made of the same tin like material the pot is made from. It is also weak and will break easily.

I'm going to update mine: (BTW look at my horrible grammar and spelling in these posts, LOL)

Fire Kit (Matches + Striker, Firesteel, Firestarters)

Basha

Canteen Water

Blanket

Bannock Mix

Fixed Knife

Fold Knife

Messkit

Rope

Tarp

Well, I am a little late on this one but...., here is my ten. I left the folding knife, sunglasses, and bandana off the list because they are edc items anyway. In a sense all of this stuff and more is...., always close to me anyway.

1. A good fixed blade (if the one I carry it already has a mag stick in the pouch)

2. A canteen (the ones I carry are 1 qrt. and 2 qrt. U.S. Army issue and have cups that go with them, which one depends on where)

3. A poncho, and liner (Poncho makes a decent improvised shelter, and the liner also serves as a lite but very warm, quilted blanket, it's synthetic and dries quickly)

4. Fire kit; strike anywhere matches, a lighter, a pack of trioxane, a small candle, small sticks of fatwood (I have already had severe frostbite that became gangrenous once..., almost lost some toes....., now I'm somewhat anal about being able to start a fire quickly if needed)

5. A good compass

6. A map of the area if new to me

7. Food, usually a couple of cans of stew or soup, a couple of MRE's, and some MRE components, sometimes some freeze dried foods

8. Some parachute cord

9. Coffee filters

10. Extra clothes, and socks (thermals in the winter)